Happy Thanksgiving to all!

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
martalus

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Post by martalus » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:14 am

The older I get, the holidays become more a mix of complex emotions, but I have much to be thankful for! May we all take some simple satisfaction in what we have and are thankful for. As I remind my daughter, any problems we might have pale in comparison to how it have felt trying to survive a famine in Somalia, that first winter in Plymouth for the Pilgrims, or for the Indian tribes of that area were almost wiped out by smallpox prior to the Pilgrims arrival May your thanksgiving be happy and your lines tight!

Rusty Spinner

Re: Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:32 am

martalus wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:14 am
The older I get, the holidays become more a mix of complex emotions, but I have much to be thankful for! May we all take some simple satisfaction in what we have and are thankful for. As I remind my daughter, any problems we might have pale in comparison to how it have felt trying to survive a famine in Somalia, that first winter in Plymouth for the Pilgrims, or for the Indian tribes of that area were almost wiped out by smallpox prior to the Pilgrims arrival May your thanksgiving be happy and your lines tight!
First of all, happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! It will be a very quiet one at the Spinner home as our daughter is in CT and can't make it home for the first time. My brother is in the midst of a divorce which means we don't get together with his family, so it will just be my wife, mother and I tomorrow. The smallest gathering ever for me in my 57 years on this planet.

Now, on to busting chops. You can no longer call them Indians. It is Native Americans. We are a woke culture now if you didn't get the memo. :lol:
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

martalus

Post by martalus » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:57 am

Sorry to hear about the more limited feast, but perhaps it will allow for more time to sneak out onto a stream!

I will see your woke and raise you one! To be more specific I should have said the Wôpanâak/Wampanoag nation which /Ousamequin/Massasoit presided over as well as Tisquantum/Squanto, who was a remnant of the the Patuxent people that had been decimated by smallpox in the years leading up to the Pilgrims landing. In all seriousness, those first decades were quite interesting historically for all parties involved as it was touch and go with shifting alliances and cultural adaptation. The Wampanoag and English did manage to maintain mostly good relations for decades after the first Thanksgiving but the all out bloodshed of King Phillips War ended that later in the century.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:34 pm

Meanwhile, those pesky Pilgrims decided to dam up Town Creek in Plymouth to harness the stream's energy and anadromous fish stopped using the stream above the dam. That dam, the most "historic" in North America based solely on age, was removed maybe 15+ years ago. That's my Native American Indian/Pilgrim/fish story of the day!

Happy turkey day, all.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

cappy

Post by cappy » Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:36 am

Happy Turkey Day - All!
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:45 am

Happy Thanksgiving to all!! Go get those lines tight before the family time comes....beautiful day to wet a line!!

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:40 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, yes I'm late, thank good my wife isn't... :D