walking in the river

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Troutman

walking in the river

Post by Troutman » Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:39 pm

Cant tell me I dont walk-wade in the river to catch fish :lol: :lol: . these boots are only 9 months old :o .
Was known as Troutman1

Drossi

Re: walking in the river

Post by Drossi » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:45 pm

Korkers, not surprised, mine didn't hold up well at all. I'm a 2 time loser with them. I'll be switching brands.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

cappy

Post by cappy » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:54 pm

Drossi wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:45 pm
Korkers, not surprised, mine didn't hold up well at all. I'm a 2 time loser with them. I'll be switching brands.
Chota is the way to go, best felt soles I ever had, last pair the soles outlasted the uppers.

My brother has Korkers - :cry:
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:02 pm

I second Chota!

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:07 pm

The best part of those particular boots, is the bottoms can be replaced in five minutes... smart purchase tm!!

Im on my second generation of that style and the first pair got me five yrs with multiple bottom changes and swaps

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:33 am

Fishybig wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:07 pm
The best part of those particular boots, is the bottoms can be replaced in five minutes... smart purchase tm!!

Im on my second generation of that style and the first pair got me five yrs with multiple bottom changes and swaps
Particularly fun when the strap snaps and the bottom decides to replace itself when your walking through the muck. My current 3 year old pair is failing in the uppers plus the damn boa system just doesn't get tight enough. I do like the spiked soles though. Great for those really slippery streams and the Delaware.
You're NOT worthy
slingin' cane

njcatchrelease

Post by njcatchrelease » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:49 am

I am using the Korkers Terror Ridge boots and they are holding up really well and are super comfortable.
Tight Lines

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:14 am

I wouldn't wear Korkers if you gave me a free pair monthly. They are the only manufacturer whose soles I find at least one of on nearly every fishing trip. That doesn't happen with any other manufacturer. Chota and Simms have done me well over the years and I can own any brand out there and don't have to pay a dime for them (business expense).
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:12 pm

I had Krokers for a while, Gorilla glue and duct tape held them for 4 years, replaced the felt soles once. I bought a pair of Redingtons last year, they are still acting brand new. Good support for my flat feet. I put heel lifts in the wader booty and that keeps my back pain free. Just like every wading boot I have ever bought though, the laces needed replacing in a couple weeks from purchase.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:26 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:14 am
I wouldn't wear Korkers if you gave me a free pair monthly. They are the only manufacturer whose soles I find at least one of on nearly every fishing trip. That doesn't happen with any other manufacturer. Chota and Simms have done me well over the years and I can own any brand out there and don't have to pay a dime for them (business expense).

went thru a few brands already. I think Im just pretty ruff on them. As I fish about 180 days a year in the river with them all. The Simms G4 was honestly a good boot. the only draw back is they are heavier then the rest. Weight is a big thing when your walking in them for some distance :(
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:29 pm

Drossi wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:33 am
Fishybig wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:07 pm

Particularly fun when the strap snaps and the bottom decides to replace itself when your walking through the muck. My current 3 year old pair is failing in the uppers plus the damn boa system just doesn't get tight enough. I do like the spiked soles though. Great for those really slippery streams and the Delaware.
Ive noticed the boa cable on these stretch the shoe out & have to tighten up more to compensate for the stretch fabric
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:30 pm

cappy wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:54 pm
Drossi wrote:
Chota is the way to go, best felt soles I ever had, last pair the soles outlasted the uppers.

Im gonna try the Chota next

thx
Was known as Troutman1

cappy

Post by cappy » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:06 am

Troutman wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:30 pm
cappy wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:54 pm
Drossi wrote:

Im gonna try the Chota next

thx
I believe you will be happy, been using them for a long time now.
Anatole France

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:17 am

Troutman wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:26 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:

went thru a few brands already. I think Im just pretty ruff on them. As I fish about 180 days a year in the river with them all. The Simms G4 was honestly a good boot. the only draw back is they are heavier then the rest. Weight is a big thing when your walking in them for some distance :(
That's not being rough, that's just use. I laugh every time one person says "brand X sucks because they don't last" while another person says that brand is the best because his or hers have lasted many years. Meanwhile person # 1 wears their gear 5 days per week, year round and the other wears that same item 5 times per year. I try to get 3 years out of waders and wading boots. My boots are going to wear out faster because I wet wade with them this time of the year until fall, so the waders are hung up, but the boots are in use. Two years is now about my boot average and 3-4 for waders.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:43 am

Troutman wrote:

The Simms G4 was honestly a good boot. the only draw back is they are heavier then the rest. Weight is a big thing when your walking in them for some distance :(
To be honest I have a pair of Cabelas lightweights that I really like, I had them before and switched to the Korkers cause I fell in love with the fallacy of interchangeable soles. I got another pair now with the felt and studs that I need to start using more. Just need to make sure I keep spare laces. :)
You're NOT worthy
slingin' cane

barkeater

Post by barkeater » Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:23 pm

I'm a fan of Chota's. They last and are comfortable but more important to me are the bungee laces they sell. The last pair I bought did not come with them :cry: but for about $10 I ordered bungees from them and swapped them out for the string laces. Nothing better than using the bungee laces to quickly get your boots on or off especially in the middle of winter.

cappy

Post by cappy » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:11 pm

barkeater wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:23 pm
I'm a fan of Chota's. They last and are comfortable but more important to me are the bungee laces they sell. The last pair I bought did not come with them :cry: but for about $10 I ordered bungees from them and swapped them out for the string laces. Nothing better than using the bungee laces to quickly get your boots on or off especially in the middle of winter.
When the original laces wear out I replace with military grade laces made from Kevlar. Never had to replace them, actually the last pair of boots I replaced I removed and kept the laces, will use them when the current original laces wear out.
Anatole France

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:55 pm

cappy wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:11 pm
barkeater wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:23 pm
When the original laces wear out I replace with military grade laces made from Kevlar. Never had to replace them, actually the last pair of boots I replaced I removed and kept the laces, will use them when the current original laces wear out.
Where can I get kevlar laces please?

cappy

Post by cappy » Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:55 pm

Amazon - LOL
Anatole France

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:05 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:17 am
Troutman wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:

That's not being rough, that's just use. I laugh every time one person says "brand X sucks because they don't last" while another person says that brand is the best because his or hers have lasted many years. Meanwhile person # 1 wears their gear 5 days per week, year round and the other wears that same item 5 times per year. I try to get 3 years out of waders and wading boots. My boots are going to wear out faster because I wet wade with them this time of the year until fall, so the waders are hung up, but the boots are in use. Two years is now about my boot average and 3-4 for waders.
Ive been lucky on these G4 Zips. Im going on 7 years. not a leak so far. But this warmer season Ive been using my redington zips. They dont sweat as much. They are thinner. My G4Z's was rather thick and didnt allow enough breathing in the warmer months
Was known as Troutman1