Funeral service?

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
46er

Funeral service?

Post by 46er » Sat May 25, 2024 10:57 pm

Was there a funeral service announcement for this site that I missed?
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

PortMurrayAng

Re: Funeral service?

Post by PortMurrayAng » Sun May 26, 2024 4:18 am

That made me laugh after some brief anxiety... I have also noticed the dearth of activity. I miss the conversations. Here's a question, maybe worth a thread, what is a PMD exactly ? I know it stands for Pale Morning Dun. Is it another sub variety of big or a fly named to be a catch all for Cahills, BWO, and Sulphur?

Tim, Tom, and mildly abrasive Cheech danced around the question on the latest tie off on the Orvis channel.

46er

Post by 46er » Sun May 26, 2024 8:18 am

I really do not know. Lots of flies, lots of names. I just tie them thinking a fish will find them appetizing. I had a cabin on the W Branch of the Ausable in Jay NY. Fran Betters was a neighbor. He once told me, tie what you think will work, it usually will. That is how most flies came to be. It was good advice :D
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

46er

Post by 46er » Mon May 27, 2024 8:36 am

Getting this error quite a bit, perhaps the page has been hacked.

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

User gardenstate18 already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections [1203]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
aka; Ralph

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue May 28, 2024 9:49 am

46er wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 8:36 am
Getting this error quite a bit, perhaps the page has been hacked.

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

User gardenstate18 already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections [1203]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
I get no errors. Try wiping out your cookies and seeing what happens.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue May 28, 2024 9:51 am

PortMurrayAng wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 4:18 am
That made me laugh after some brief anxiety... I have also noticed the dearth of activity. I miss the conversations. Here's a question, maybe worth a thread, what is a PMD exactly ? I know it stands for Pale Morning Dun. Is it another sub variety of big or a fly named to be a catch all for Cahills, BWO, and Sulphur?

Tim, Tom, and mildly abrasive Cheech danced around the question on the latest tie off on the Orvis channel.
Pale morning duns (PMDs) are a mayfly in the Ephemerella family with three species (infrequens, inermis and lacustris). I usually only fish that hatch when I'm out West in late summer.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue May 28, 2024 9:52 am

46er wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 10:57 pm
Was there a funeral service announcement for this site that I missed?
Same has gone for Northeast Fly Fishing. All of the fishing world has more or less migrated to Facebook. Hunting forums remain very popular, just not fishing forums any longer.

46er

Post by 46er » Tue May 28, 2024 7:53 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 9:49 am

I get no errors. Try wiping out your cookies and seeing what happens.
Did that, happens first time on in the AM. If it continues will check to see how many are on, might be left over bots from the overnight.
aka; Ralph

46er

Post by 46er » Wed May 29, 2024 7:12 am

There are 2 registered users and 0 hidden users online
There are 69 guest users online • Display guests

Page 1 of 1
USERNAME FORUM LOCATION LAST UPDATED
46er Viewing who is online Wed May 29, 2024 7:11 am
Google [Bot] Viewing topics in New Jersey Trout Fishing Wed May 29, 2024 7:08 am
aka; Ralph

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Wed May 29, 2024 3:24 pm

This board and NEFF are dead. The other fly fishing communities I'm on get plenty of traffic, including PAFF, that probably speaks more to the state of mind of NJ trout fisherman than anything else. The prefer the "look at me" instant self gratification of FB and Instagram vs. message boards.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

kype

Post by kype » Fri May 31, 2024 6:30 pm

this site is dead. if your lucky maybe one post per month. so i joined NEFF and same thing! not sure why online fly fishing forums are such a dud. PAFF is a great site with alot of new content daily. i live 5 min from PA border and fish PA often so its fitting. also stripersonline has a fly fishing forum that is also very active. the "2024 all things fly fishing " thread is great among all the other years.

garden state trout forum seems outdated with its format. not blamming anyone, i know nothing is free these days. but there are a couple great fly fishing forums just a click away. a shame we cant get a NJ forum just as great as PAFF.

cmon rusty spinner, start one up!? lol

PineyTrouter

Post by PineyTrouter » Fri May 31, 2024 9:34 pm

There's something to be said for speaking only when you have something to say. Or ask. I used to participate on a model railroad forum that became so cluttered with threads made just to start a thread it became a chore to wade through them and find usefull posts. At the risk of being sexist, what are we here, men or women? :lol:

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:03 pm

This site is rather dead because it not a very friendly warm inviting site for non fly trout angler-fisherman. Everyone doesnt fly fish. Some center-pin & spin. Some of our equipment is also way more expensive then the typical fly gear. but we are looked down upon because we dont fly fish :( . I for 1 C&R everything. I dont keep a single trout for myself. Unless it get mortally wounded. Then I just offer it to a fisherman that does eat fish in the river. Or I bring home for my neighbor to enjoy. All my fish pictures are in the net. The fish is submerged. But some guy decided to post here that I dont handle fish properly from the striperonline page he read. From another member there that doesnt like me because I can afford expensive gear. Jealous showed their ugly head. So I just ignore every time he tries to respond to 1 of my posts. I dont have time for ignorant people. Im here to share a passion. Not to be a target :o .
Was known as Troutman1

cappy

Post by cappy » Sun Jun 02, 2024 2:02 pm

If it helps I went out this morning for wild trout, caught a few, lost a few. Nice morning to be out, back on the couch by 9:30 with a cup of java.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:31 am

Troutman wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:03 pm
This site is rather dead because it not a very friendly warm inviting site for non fly trout angler-fisherman.
I'm not sure it's even gear related. IMHO this site years ago had a very "in" crowd clique that was a turn-off to new member recruitment. People came but didn't stay so that when the "in" crowd stopped posting there was no new traffic to take their place.

Personally, I can care less what kind of tackle you fish with so long as it's done legally. I only get my hackles up when people give me sh!t for being a flyfisher and having good gear, Most of the time I find other flyfishermen to be bigger 'holes than spinning guys.
You're NOT worthy
slingin' cane

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:39 am

I think what I find most comical about this thread is all the talk about how dead it is (and it is that), but here you all are complaining about it. Go to PAFF and Tom (Twism) can shut this down. He's been paying out of pocket for a site he doesn't use himself so a few of us can still talk about trout fishing in NJ and beyond. As the sole moderator, I am happy to walk away since I can't fix some of your technical issues, just help with content. But some of you keep posting here and for that reason, Tom keeps it limping along just like Dennis does on NEFF. NEFF used to be an absolute monster site. I see a new fishing page on Facebook every single day. In fact, I no longer accept invitations to new pages there for fishing and have paired back many I had accepted in the past because they can be full of internet superheros that don't know their A$$ES from a hole in the wall.

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:49 pm

I dont trout fish much outside of winter, hence why i havent posted much recently.

Last year I did finally get a facebook account, joined my group's private group for NJ fishing multispecies. It's been great. Feel free to ask me for an invite there. There's that Public NJ Trout 101 page but I mostly just sit and watch from afar lol. I just use FB for fishing stuff and met some new friends. I still browse NJF.com and this place (mainly in the fall/winter) as for old styled forums. But I do like FB for having more connectivity to things and supporting embedded videos. Started recording more of the streams and sights and i know some older anglers like those views.

These old styled forums are nice and I want to see them still live, hence why I still post here (in the winter) and my stuff over to NJF.com, (where I started) but essentially these forums will always be unpopular and less active with how dated the "technology" is.

I stopped using reddit a while ago, I was looking for a good fishing Discord server but havent yet. Discord is sort of the successor to reddit IMO and more community-chat focused than reddit's topic/content focus. I think it'll be a while until I see something like that. For now i know a lot of my age group (late 20s) uses instagram/FB.

46er

Post by 46er » Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:33 pm

I stopped using reddit a while ago, I was looking for a good fishing Discord server but havent yet. Discord is sort of the successor to reddit IMO and more community-chat focused than reddit's topic/content focus. I think it'll be a while until I see something like that. For now i know a lot of my age group (late 20s) uses instagram/FB.
Huh? ;)
aka; Ralph

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:29 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:39 am
I think what I find most comical about this thread is all the talk about how dead it is (and it is that), but here you all are complaining about it. Go to PAFF and Tom (Twism) can shut this down. He's been paying out of pocket for a site he doesn't use himself so a few of us can still talk about trout fishing in NJ and beyond. As the sole moderator, I am happy to walk away since I can't fix some of your technical issues, just help with content. But some of you keep posting here and for that reason, Tom keeps it limping along just like Dennis does on NEFF. NEFF used to be an absolute monster site. I see a new fishing page on Facebook every single day. In fact, I no longer accept invitations to new pages there for fishing and have paired back many I had accepted in the past because they can be full of internet superheros that don't know their A$$ES from a hole in the wall.
Well shit don't keep the light on for my sake. Over and out.
You're NOT worthy
slingin' cane

46er

Post by 46er » Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:10 pm

I avoid FB like the plague, because it is a form of it. Most so called 'social media' sites are that way. The world got along just fine without them, not so much with them. But if you must, just do it with a cloaked ID. :twisted:
aka; Ralph