In Search of Wild Trout Under the NJ Turnpike?

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

In Search of Wild Trout Under the NJ Turnpike?

Post by BiggerThomas » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:49 pm

Long ago, I remember overhearing a conversation about famed, but unsubstantiated wild trout that cruised under the NJ Turnpike.

Even though my recollection contradicts my intuition, I recall that stream flowed through Central/South Jersey (and not Northern), as in between Helmetta and Cherry Hill. Does anyone have any info on this legend?
Tight lines and GO RED SOX!
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

46er

Re: In Search of Wild Trout Under the NJ Turnpike?

Post by 46er » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:02 am

I recall reading a piece about Trout in the Meadowlands. Have searched but could not locate it. Also Big Timber Creek is known to have native Brookies, it is located near Cherry hill in Gloucester County.
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:38 am

Ive caught wild trout under a few highways but I really cant think of any that would be under the NJTP.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:29 pm

46er wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:02 am
I recall reading a piece about Trout in the Meadowlands. Have searched but could not locate it. Also Big Timber Creek is known to have native Brookies, it is located near Cherry hill in Gloucester County.
Interesting, the Division does list it as TP waters, but it is the only stream where they don't list brook, brown, rainbow or a combo of the three.

PART TWO

List of New Jersey Trout Production Waters
with Resident Reproducing Trout Species Identified
Trout Species
Brook Brown

Big Timber Creek Drainage

Masons Run (Pine Hill) x

Delaware River (Hunterdon Co.) Drainage

Delaware River (trib.)(Holland) x
Hakihokake Creek (Milford) x
Hakihokake Creek (trib.)(Wydner) x
Little York (Brook) Creek (Little York) x
Spring Mills Brook (Milford) x
Warford Creek (Barbertown) x
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:31 pm

I see it doesn't copy and paste well, but there are three species and an "x" under each species of wild trout known in that waterway. Mason's Run correctly shows brook trout. But Big Timber was left blank. I know Pat Hamilton always says Mason's Run has the southernmost population of wild brook trout in NJ...

46er

Post by 46er » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:28 pm

There are a lot of feeders to Big Timber proper, Trout Run used to have a small population of Brookies, probably still does.

aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

martalus

Post by martalus » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:50 am

Seems like a pretty built up area, quite far south, and not very hilly. What would make there be wild brook trout down there, versus countless other drainages in central/north jersey, or even the Tom's River? Are these cold, shaded, spring fed streams? Beyond that, is the PH of water somehow more suitable for trout, than the Toms? Are these streams very clean with little sedimentation? I am not debating that trout are there or not, but its just to curious to see why they would be there versus other areas.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:19 pm

martalus wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:50 am
Seems like a pretty built up area, quite far south, and not very hilly. What would make there be wild brook trout down there, versus countless other drainages in central/north jersey, or even the Tom's River? Are these cold, shaded, spring fed streams? Beyond that, is the PH of water somehow more suitable for trout, than the Toms? Are these streams very clean with little sedimentation? I am not debating that trout are there or not, but its just to curious to see why they would be there versus other areas.
In the case of Mason's Run, it is spring fed, full of sand except in the steeper gradient places, and tannic. The brookies only really thrive in the few places where the sand doesn't accumulate and choke out their habitat. But water temps in the short area they persist is very cold.

SNJAngler

Post by SNJAngler » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:53 pm

Just about in my back yard, there is a book about Mason run, Saving Mason's Run. Our TU chapter does work on this stream.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:21 pm

SNJAngler wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:53 pm
Just about in my back yard, there is a book about Mason run, Saving Mason's Run. Our TU chapter does work on this stream.
By Brian Burns. He is a great spokesman for that little stream and its native brookies! I have his book, and it is well researched. Most don't know that area was once a ski hill in winter. Today, it's a Trump golf course. Fortunately for the wild brookies, there is swamp pink, a federally endangered plant species that lives near the stream which helped protect both the trout and riparian corridor from harmful development when the course was built (Trump is the second owner).

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:36 pm

SNJAngler wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:53 pm
Mason's Run sounds like it's worth a trip to explore. Thanks for the info, fellas. If it's a bust, at least the CowTown Rodeo ("the oldest weekly running rodeo in the USA") isn't too far away... I haven't been there in years but I remember it being tons of fun.
http://www.cowtownrodeo.com/
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

SNJAngler

Post by SNJAngler » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:04 pm

Can't fish Mason Run, private property owned by the golf course, I think since Trump took over the golf course they have been working with Brian. Brian is a great spokesman, there is some other streams which have some wild trout down here in South Jersey, but it is very tight lipped crew that fish for them.

BiggerThomas

Post by BiggerThomas » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:34 am

SNJAngler wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:04 pm
Can't fish Mason Run, private property owned by the golf course, I think since Trump took over the golf course they have been working with Brian. Brian is a great spokesman, there is some other streams which have some wild trout down here in South Jersey, but it is very tight lipped crew that fish for them.
Hmmmm.....how much is a membership at the golf course? :lol:

SNJAngler

Post by SNJAngler » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:05 pm

I believe it is a $100,000 bond and $20,000 yearly, better off buying some mountain property. HAHA

46er

Post by 46er » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:20 pm

SNJAngler wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:05 pm
I believe it is a $100,000 bond and $20,000 yearly, better off buying some mountain property. HAHA
Maybe ;) I had 2 acres and a nice log cabin with 250' on the West Branch Ausable in NY. A tad more expensive then the golf stuff. :shock:
aka; Ralph