Late Weekend Report

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Dave B.

Late Weekend Report

Post by Dave B. » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:21 am

Apologies for the tardy post. Hit a section of the Flatbrook on Sat with a friend. We managed to land 3 'bows and a brown each. I also landed 2 decent smallies.
Sun was a trip up to the WBD with a buddy and his 2 sons. Plenty of 'bows and browns landed from 12 to 20 inches. Glad the water had finally gone down once the res stopped spilling.
Mon I hit the lower Bushkill (Pike/Monroe border). Managed a 14 inch 'bow and a 16 inch brown along with dozens of smallies, and lots of fallfish up to 13-14 inches. Sweated my arse off too, was wishing I was back up on the WBD with it's 50 degree water!

Rusty Spinner

Re: Late Weekend Report

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:00 pm

Nice few days on the water, Dave! I managed to "deep sea nymph" for fluke and sea bass both Sunday and Monday. Went with a buddy on his 27' Boston Whaler out of Barnegat, fished Garden State South reef, and went back in at Holgate due to big swells as the southerlies cranked up. We limited out on fluke and caught tons of shorts including short sea bass. Monday was a trip with 15 guys from the hunting forum, NJ Woods & Waters (which I know you know) and we had a blast. We kept 21 fluke to 8 1/4 lbs and 16 sea bass on a day without a drift. Not bad considering the lack of drift. I went from my normal 100% C&R for trout to wanting to kill and eat my limit for two days.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Dave B.

Re: Late Weekend Report

Post by Dave B. » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:18 pm

Nice job on the flatties and sea bass! If I had my 'druthers' I'd take the bass over the fluke for table fare any day!! Kudos to the captain for putting you all on the fish despite the lack of a drift! Clearly that gent knows his angling areas.