#12 Fly Dry Dropper Setup

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
CheeseburgerFly

#12 Fly Dry Dropper Setup

Post by CheeseburgerFly » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:24 pm

Folks,

Definite newbie here, so I sincerely apologize if this is an amateur question. The place I'll be fishing this upcoming weekend is fishing very well with #12 October caddis. Usually the droppers I am running off of a dry are the same size so I have not worried about having to mix anything up. Would the proper rig setup be a 4x leader with 6x tippet to a size 18 pheasant tail as the dropper, or could I tie 4x tippet onto a 6x leader and then proceed normally with the dropper setup?

Thanks in advance!

Rusty Spinner

Re: #12 Fly Dry Dropper Setup

Post by Rusty Spinner » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:11 pm

CheeseburgerFly wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:24 pm
Folks,

Definite newbie here, so I sincerely apologize if this is an amateur question. The place I'll be fishing this upcoming weekend is fishing very well with #12 October caddis. Usually the droppers I am running off of a dry are the same size so I have not worried about having to mix anything up. Would the proper rig setup be a 4x leader with 6x tippet to a size 18 pheasant tail as the dropper, or could I tie 4x tippet onto a 6x leader and then proceed normally with the dropper setup?

Thanks in advance!
A couple of things. First, never a dumb question! Second, I would only drop one tippet size between my point and trailing fly, not two sizes as you are. Also, water is high right now and you can easily get away with 4X into 5X without need to drop to 6X. You always want your tippet to be either the same strength or one size weaker than your leader. A typical rig for me might be a 9 foot tapered 4X leader with a piece of 5X tippet. Or you could stick with the 4X leader and tie in 4X tippet and whatever your bottom fly is if using a double rig, use 5X to that. Move up (3X, 2X, etc.) or down (5X, 6X, etc.) as fly size and water clarity dictate. The easiest way to remember is to go one size lighter from leader to tippet and one size lighter again from the fly on the end of your tippet to the second fly.

Welcome to the sport!
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

lightenup

Re: #12 Fly Dry Dropper Setup

Post by lightenup » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:42 pm

Don't tie 4x tippet on a 6x leader either, always taper smaller....