Black River

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Black River

Post by BiggerThomas » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:29 pm

I hit the Black River yesterday. What a beautiful stream.

The river changed a bit since I'd last been there: many fallen trees now cross the stream, forming numerous new pools that hadn't been there the last time I fished it.

Not many leaves down yet, so finding open water was pretty easy.

I managed a few rainbows, all on BH Prince nymphs #14. I also hiked up Trout Brook but couldn't find any wild ones; perhaps next time. All in all, a great day to be alive and out on the stream.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

coaltrout

Re: Black River

Post by coaltrout » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:54 pm

I made a few trips there in the late spring this year and did very well, caught some small wild browns too

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Re: Black River

Post by BiggerThomas » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:23 pm

coaltrout wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:54 pm
I made a few trips there in the late spring this year and did very well, caught some small wild browns too
The Black heats up fast once warmer air temps settle into the region. Spring is a good time imx. Glad to hear about the wild browns, too.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,