Connetquot Brook Trout and Toms River

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
NJpatbee

Connetquot Brook Trout and Toms River

Post by NJpatbee » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:18 pm

So now that I live just over a half hour from the special reg section of the Toms River I will bring up a past topic. I understand that it may be years before the NJF&W breed and stock brook trout but in the past there has been discussion about stocking brook trout from the Connetquot Hatchery in the Toms River. I understand the hatchery was infested with a disease (IPN?) a number of years back but I have read that they have been back in business again. Some of the brook trout in the Connetquot have been known to head to the Atlantic and return as "Salters". Also, I believe that the brook trout can tolerate the tannic water of the Toms better than the browns or rainbows. Anyone know of any plans to re-introduce brook trout in the Toms from the Connetquot, or any other hatchery?

Johnw

Re: Connetquot Brook Trout and Toms River

Post by Johnw » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:02 am

I'm not aware of any plans to revive that program but you are correct that it was in the works and if I remember correctly all necessary approvals had been obtained before the disease problem at the Connequot hatchery ended it.

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:35 pm

I might add that for at least several years, this goes back probably 12 -14 years, there were 10 's of thousands of surplus brookies 4-5 inches stocked in the Toms well below the TCA. Some of those fish made it back to the TCA and above shortly after stocking but I never heard of any kind of recapture of larger fish in the following years or any salters either. Brookies do very well in the Toms as do Browns to some degree, Rainbows not so much.

NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:27 pm

Thanks for the update.

Dave B.

Post by Dave B. » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:22 pm

There's one other small caveat to the thought of reviving that plan. They presently have no brook trout in the Connie hatchery, so the only way to obtain any of that particular strain would be to recover some from the river itself which we know they would never allow. Still, it would be nice if some could be obtained from another source of 'salters' somewhere in New England if any exist.

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:15 am

What's the history of salters in NJ? I'm guessing they once used to spawn in Nj waters but in modern times don't and just the local freshwater trout remain? What causes this change is ambiguous? Maybe back to last ice age?

NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:05 am

I could not find any documented report of salters in NJ but I suspect that if you went back 500 years or so there may have been some with a large number of waters having wild brook trout. As far as establishing a salter run in the Toms it would most likely have to be supported by stocking of brook trout from salter stock since the NJF&W has tried unsuccessfully as mentioned above with brook trout in the Toms. There is also no documented evidence of trout spawning in the Toms River.

That is too bad about the Connetquot hatchery having no trout and I do not know if States like Massachusetts use salters in their hatcheries. It may not be possible to get salters stocked in the Toms at this time but based on other anglers' reports brook trout survive well in the acidic Toms, but in the near future they will not be available from the Pequest Hatchery. I am too new to the area to know if there is enough angler interest to support a private stocking of brook trout in the Toms.

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:02 pm

To give an idea of the holdover potential of the Toms we electro fished about 100 yards of the TCA on Sept 5,2007 which was prior to the Fall stocking and 4 months after the last Spring stocking. We got 39 brookies, 18 Browns and 1 rainbow. Also a catfish, 3 pickerel, 1 lm bass, darters, sunfish and many, many eels. One of the Browns measured 22 inches. Prior stockings included all 3 species of trout, mostly brookies.

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:34 pm

That's impressive , lots of variables but that's pretty good .

BillSmith

Post by BillSmith » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:10 pm

We used to get lots of these all over the Raritan river, then they stopped stocking Brook Trout and it all went away.
Attachments
002.JPG
002.JPG (62.08 KiB) Viewed 15665 times
IMG_3957.jpg
IMG_3957.jpg (61.71 KiB) Viewed 15665 times
vid snap.jpg
vid snap.jpg (27.96 KiB) Viewed 15665 times

taltac

Post by taltac » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:25 am

I sorely miss the brook trout. And the browns too.

NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:47 am

Those are impressive fish! How far up the Raritan did they run?

BillSmith

Post by BillSmith » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:27 am

Through the fish at ladder at the Island Farm Fish Weir all the way up to the Headgates dam.
Attachments
trout.png
trout.png (63.39 KiB) Viewed 15535 times
cbnfhr.jpg
cbnfhr.jpg (85.04 KiB) Viewed 15535 times
ffhjk.jpg
ffhjk.jpg (155.19 KiB) Viewed 15535 times

robtf

Post by robtf » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:53 pm

Johnw wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:02 pm
To give an idea of the holdover potential of the Toms we electro fished about 100 yards of the TCA on Sept 5,2007 which was prior to the Fall stocking and 4 months after the last Spring stocking. We got 39 brookies, 18 Browns and 1 rainbow. Also a catfish, 3 pickerel, 1 lm bass, darters, sunfish and many, many eels. One of the Browns measured 22 inches. Prior stockings included all 3 species of trout, mostly brookies.
I remember that day.

BTW, I am confused... I thought the plan was to stock sea run browns from the Conny, not salters. Though, as my wife points out with joy, I'm prone to misremembering things :D
----

living in the land of clammies

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:58 pm

I'm part of the misremembering thing also, it comes with age. It was salters for sure. By the way the striper fishing has been excellent the last few days in Monmouth County in a very rough surf. No keepers but seems several year classes are here with fish ranging from barely 12 inches up to about 24.

robtf

Post by robtf » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:02 am

Johnw wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:58 pm
I'm part of the misremembering thing also, it comes with age. It was salters for sure. By the way the striper fishing has been excellent the last few days in Monmouth County in a very rough surf. No keepers but seems several year classes are here with fish ranging from barely 12 inches up to about 24.
yeah, well it was not quite so good down in seaside LOL.

glad you found them, I ran into one of the little stiped ones last week in the cold with one other angler, yesterday with about 40 additional anglers, we all tried
and got squat.... seems they bunch up.
----

living in the land of clammies