Edison Fly Fishing Show this weekend

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Rusty Spinner

Re: Edison Fly Fishing Show this weekend

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:19 am

taltac wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:08 pm
cappy wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:54 pm

They should consider the Meadowlands for a location, plenty of nearby lodging and the out of state vendors can easily visit NYC after the show if they want.
From the hungover appearance of some of the exhibitors on Sunday it seems they were able to find NYC from Edison.
Not to mention that half the exhibitors were vaping all day long and stoned out of their minds. :lol: :lol:
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:22 am

cappy wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:54 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:11 pm
The show blew its chance to fix the first year's layout which EVERYONE complained about last year (and now again this year). The stupid casting pond needs to be jammed up against the wall and out in the middle of the flow of foot traffic. Just like it was in Somerset They set everything up the exact same way again this year down to the booth locations for each business that was there last year. But the show has no equals other than their own Denver show. Small complaints I always hear are "lack of retailers" that sell things outside of NJ fly shops that we can visit any time. That seems a fair complaint and I agree that we see more and more manufacturers and less and less retailers selling those products. Not an issue for me, but one I heard often.

As far as lack of decent hotels and poor food at the venues, the Fly Fishing Show can't do anything about those. The old Somerset building was bulldozed, and Chuck and his son had to scramble to find a new venue for last year.
I agree the castings ponds located in the middle are a nuisance. With regard to food, if allowed they should consider food trucks. Once your hand is stamped it would be simple to go outside for good food and reenter. They should consider the Meadowlands for a location, plenty of nearby lodging and the out of state vendors can easily visit NYC after the show if they want.
I love the idea of food trucks. My guess is the reason you'll never see that is the food, as bad and expensive as it is, is likely split profit-wise between the venue and The Fly Fishing Show. Bring in food trucks and you have to split any profits three ways and not just two. The venue will want its share and so will Chuck and crew and so will the food truck operators, of course. But food truck festivals are something my wife and I try to hit regularly in season.

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:59 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:10 am

I should add that I saw a "fish tattoo artist" at one booth. He had one steely-eyed customer in his chair. Never saw that before at the show.
I checked him out as I'm in the market for one. I want a brown trout taking a mayfly with some scenery in the background in black and grey. His designs were more cartoonish than what I was looking for. Plus he didn't have book of his work for me to thumb through. Just the stencils.

Otherwise it was a run of the mill show, probably cause I wasn't looking to plan a trip or hire a guide. I don't like the set up for the seminars cause you get feedback if the person in the next "room" is louder than your speaker. I can't hear well and ancillary noise distorts everything that I'm trying to hear. Not totally the shows problem but it limits my enjoyment. Did enjoy talking to the fly tiers, buying their wares, and talking to Art Weiler and his wife, they are just wonderful people.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

BillSmith

Post by BillSmith » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:11 pm

I guess there are still many out there unaware of Fisheries meetings held by NJDF&W. Rutgers people fielded MANY questions about trout and trout stocking to the best of their knowledge

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:55 pm

BillSmith wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:11 pm
I guess there are still many out there unaware of Fisheries meetings held by NJDF&W. Rutgers people fielded MANY questions about trout and trout stocking to the best of their knowledge
Can I buy a beer at the fisheries meeting? I can at the fly show. When I can get a beer at the fisheries meeting maybe I'll come. Besides I don't have an issue with the trout stocking in NJ, actually I think they do a downright damn good job considering their budget and staffing constraints plus being situated in a highly populated state that isn't very outdoor sport orientated. Really F&W really is doing a good job on all stocking in my opinion.
You're NOT worthy
slingin' cane

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:24 pm

Drossi wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:59 pm
BiggerThomas wrote:

I should add that I saw a "fish tattoo artist" at one booth. He had one steely-eyed customer in his chair. Never saw that before at the show.
I checked him out as I'm in the market for one. I want a brown trout taking a mayfly with some scenery in the background in black and grey. His designs were more cartoonish than what I was looking for. Plus he didn't have book of his work for me to thumb through. Just the stencils.
Check out Eric Hornung at Anti Hero Electric Tattoo. I've had several friends get trout or other fish related tattoos from him and his work is excellent. He's in Andover off route 206. Not sure if that is nearby, but check out his work.

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:05 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:24 pm
Drossi wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:59 pm
BiggerThomas wrote:

Check out Eric Hornung at Anti Hero Electric Tattoo. I've had several friends get trout or other fish related tattoos from him and his work is excellent. He's in Andover off route 206. Not sure if that is nearby, but check out his work.
Not far. Thanks for the tip.
You're NOT worthy
slingin' cane