Edison Fly Fishing Show this weekend

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Rusty Spinner

Edison Fly Fishing Show this weekend

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:57 pm

Just a reminder that the show which is now in Edison begins this Friday through Sunday. I'm sure I will run into many familiar faces from GST and around the state and beyond. Looking forward to seeing one of our Labrador guides and his boss at the show. Hopefully he's sobered up by now. :D

I should be there Friday and Saturday. Not yet sure about Sunday.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Re: Edison Fly Fishing Show this weekend

Post by BiggerThomas » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:20 pm

Hope to see the familiar mugs and introduce myself to some new ones. I'll likely have my two young sons with me.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

BillSmith

Post by BillSmith » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:40 pm

Everyone goes to this, but not the Fisheries meetings offered by the State.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:45 am

BillSmith wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:40 pm
I was at the Freshwater Fisheries Forum last Saturday..........but what does one have to do with the other, I wonder??

One is a show about all things fly fishing the world over for all species of fish that swim which draws anglers from about 7 regional states. The other is about the state of NJ's stocked fisheries along with one report on trying to eliminate brown trout from a native brook trout tributary to the Black River. Apples and cumquats

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:00 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:45 am
BillSmith wrote:
I was at the Freshwater Fisheries Forum last Saturday..........but what does one have to do with the other, I wonder??

One is a show about all things fly fishing the world over for all species of fish that swim which draws anglers from about 7 regional states. The other is about the state of NJ's stocked fisheries along with one report on trying to eliminate brown trout from a native brook trout tributary to the Black River. Apples and cumquats
I think I get what Bill is saying: anglers are more interested in the instant gratification of feel-good shopping and light socializing at the show than with keeping abreast of and (the sometimes difficult job of) shaping conservation issues at the Fisheries Forums.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:35 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:00 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
BillSmith wrote:

I think I get what Bill is saying: anglers are more interested in the instant gratification of feel-good shopping and light socializing at the show than with keeping abreast of and (the sometimes difficult job of) shaping conservation issues at the Fisheries Forums.
Stocked fish from hatcheries have nothing to do with conservation other than causing problems for native fish and creating need for conservation measures. ;)

robtf

Post by robtf » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:04 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:35 am
BiggerThomas wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:

Stocked fish from hatcheries have nothing to do with conservation other than causing problems for native fish and creating need for conservation measures. ;)
wellllll, I think stocked fisheries reduce the pressure native fisheries might experience if no stocking occurred.

Just sayin' :D

btw, I should be at the Batsto forum... more focused on South Jersey but the often update on overall state fisheries...
----

living in the land of clammies

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:53 am

BillSmith wrote:
Cause the show is a hell of a lot more fun than sitting around listening to various groups bitch about what they think is wrong.......
If I want that I'll just work all weekend.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:07 pm

robtf wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:04 am
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:35 am
BiggerThomas wrote:

wellllll, I think stocked fisheries reduce the pressure native fisheries might experience if no stocking occurred.

Just sayin' :D

btw, I should be at the Batsto forum... more focused on South Jersey but the often update on overall state fisheries...
Or do the stocked fish eat all the natives? Look first at our native list which is very short and then at our introduced species and you can be the judge. Don't get me wrong, stocking isn't ending in my lifetime, but it has caused any number of problems for native fisheries over the last 100+ years.

BiggerThomas

Post by BiggerThomas » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:50 pm

I attended the show today and sat in on two seminars. The show itself was like previous years, but quite a few of the vendors complained about the venue not being convenient or not offering enough lodging near by.

Tom Boyd's and Gary Borger's seminars were great, however.

BiggerThomas

Post by BiggerThomas » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:10 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:50 pm
I attended the show today and sat in on two seminars. The show itself was like previous years, but quite a few of the vendors complained about the venue not being convenient or not offering enough lodging near by.

Tom Boyd's and Gary Borger's seminars were great, however.
I should add that I saw a "fish tattoo artist" at one booth. He had one steely-eyed customer in his chair. Never saw that before at the show.

Bubba Zinetti

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:08 am

We (my wife and I) went to the show again this year. We bought some new line and had it installed on our reels. We thought that the show was really good, and we were impressed by the number of female anglers and company representatives that were there this year. We were also impressed that there was a TU young people booth and that there was a couple of Rutgers students with a poster on fisheries. More of this kind of stuff please.
Additional props to Fishpond for taking the time to walk us through the details of what will soon be our new travel bag. The gentleman took time to explain the new bag, and the features. It was also interesting to hear how they took comments from their old bags, and either added or removed features. He also knew the exact dimensions, and that the bag was designed to fit within current airline luggage sizes (62 linear inches, L+W+H)

So, kudos to the Fly Fishing Show, and kudos to Fishpond.

CheeseburgerFly

Post by CheeseburgerFly » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:54 am

This was my first one and I really enjoyed it. I spent a lot of time checking out equipment and talking with vendors.

Thoughts:

-Lots of man bun haircuts.
-Hopefully I can find some seeds to plant a money tree.
-Vedavoo was very helpful in talking with me on how to best set up a pack that was purchased in December. Gotta love a small business.
-Yeti actually impressed me. I figured they would be an arrogant large company, but they were extremely helpful and generous. Long story short, somebody gave me a rambler as a gift (I would never spend Yeti money on a water bottle or cooler) and I talked with them about how the top it came with was inconvenient. They gave me a different top free of charge and thanked me for my business.

Looking forward to making this a yearly thing. Maybe next year I'll win one of the 14 raffle trips?

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:58 am

There will always be complaints about the Fly-fishing show and some rightly so. That said I'm glad it's in my backyard #1 and number #2 if you have any really minutia type questions that's a great place to go to get them answered by manufacturers, but also a great place to mine info about certain rivers or areas , just gotta find the right person .

cappy

Post by cappy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:41 am

I was there Friday as the doors opened, hate the weekend crowd. Always a good show, lots to see and buy, which I did (buy) little of, only stocking up on the few essentials. I primarily use Tenkara gear so there is little I need, and I did adopt the minimalist approach of Tenkara. That being said I have a 3-Tand reel that needs some work, spoke with Ron at the 3-Tand booth, he gave me his card and said to mail in the reel for an over-haul. Kudo's to 3-Tand. I did try on many waders for a future purchase. I really liked Chota's top of the line waders.

If I have one complaint it would be the food. Price and quality is a joke.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:11 pm

The show blew its chance to fix the first year's layout which EVERYONE complained about last year (and now again this year). The stupid casting pond needs to be jammed up against the wall and out in the middle of the flow of foot traffic. Just like it was in Somerset They set everything up the exact same way again this year down to the booth locations for each business that was there last year. But the show has no equals other than their own Denver show. Small complaints I always hear are "lack of retailers" that sell things outside of NJ fly shops that we can visit any time. That seems a fair complaint and I agree that we see more and more manufacturers and less and less retailers selling those products. Not an issue for me, but one I heard often.

As far as lack of decent hotels and poor food at the venues, the Fly Fishing Show can't do anything about those. The old Somerset building was bulldozed, and Chuck and his son had to scramble to find a new venue for last year.

barkeater

Post by barkeater » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:01 pm

I enjoyed the show again and said hello to friends. Got some info but did not have a need right now for more equipment. Next year I'm going to get a "Taxi" sign for my truck and charge $2 to take people to their cars. :lol:

cappy

Post by cappy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:54 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:11 pm
The show blew its chance to fix the first year's layout which EVERYONE complained about last year (and now again this year). The stupid casting pond needs to be jammed up against the wall and out in the middle of the flow of foot traffic. Just like it was in Somerset They set everything up the exact same way again this year down to the booth locations for each business that was there last year. But the show has no equals other than their own Denver show. Small complaints I always hear are "lack of retailers" that sell things outside of NJ fly shops that we can visit any time. That seems a fair complaint and I agree that we see more and more manufacturers and less and less retailers selling those products. Not an issue for me, but one I heard often.

As far as lack of decent hotels and poor food at the venues, the Fly Fishing Show can't do anything about those. The old Somerset building was bulldozed, and Chuck and his son had to scramble to find a new venue for last year.
I agree the castings ponds located in the middle are a nuisance. With regard to food, if allowed they should consider food trucks. Once your hand is stamped it would be simple to go outside for good food and reenter. They should consider the Meadowlands for a location, plenty of nearby lodging and the out of state vendors can easily visit NYC after the show if they want.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

taltac

Post by taltac » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:08 pm

cappy wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:54 pm

They should consider the Meadowlands for a location, plenty of nearby lodging and the out of state vendors can easily visit NYC after the show if they want.
From the hungover appearance of some of the exhibitors on Sunday it seems they were able to find NYC from Edison.

BiggerThomas

Post by BiggerThomas » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:41 am

taltac wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:08 pm
cappy wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:54 pm

They should consider the Meadowlands for a location, plenty of nearby lodging and the out of state vendors can easily visit NYC after the show if they want.
From the hungover appearance of some of the exhibitors on Sunday it seems they were able to find NYC from Edison.
:lol: