Next on your purchase list

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
CheeseburgerFly
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:40 pm

Next on your purchase list

Post by CheeseburgerFly » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:54 am

Just trying to get a convo open - so I'll ask. What is your next purchase for the upcoming season?

I need to pick up a new 4wt. My old one broke and is a discontinued model. The warranty still gave me the purchase price back, but I have to apply it to something else. My go-ins to test are St. Croix imperial (love my 6wt.), douglas dxf, and hardy shadow. Once I get there I am sure I will test other rods in my skill / price spectrum.

barkeater
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:08 am

Re: Next on your purchase list

Post by barkeater » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:53 pm

You did not give length or purpose nymph vs. dry or all around. Look at the Cortland Competition if you need a nymphing rod. I have had my eye on that one since I saw the winner of the one fly in 2017 use it. Shannons carries it if you want to check it out. About $250 if I remember correctly. Just bought a new cold weather wading jacket by Snowbee $250. It is a down jacket with the down sealed in packets with no external stitching to keep the down dry. It has waterproof zippers in the pockets. Wore it fishing in 27-28 degree weather with a shirt and sweater underneath and I stayed warm for 3 hours.

User avatar
cappy
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:22 pm
Location: On the River

Re: Next on your purchase list

Post by cappy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:06 pm

Most likely waders. My current set is still fine, but not sure will last the season.
I do need a packable lightweight wading jacket. I like the one offered by LLBean but they don't have my size in stock anywhere. I have time, if it doesn't come into stock i'll probably get the Simms or Patagonia.

Where you going to try rods? Tightlines in Parsippany has a huge stock.

User avatar
Drossi
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: Next on your purchase list

Post by Drossi » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:54 pm

Leaders, tippet, flies, split shot. Terminal stuff. I'm boring.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

User avatar
njcatchrelease
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:36 pm
Location: Northern NJ
Contact:

Re: Next on your purchase list

Post by njcatchrelease » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:53 pm

Mines a toss up between a new 2wt rod & reel for fishing small streams or a really good pair of wading boots. I am really getting tired of having to replace lost studs in my current Cabelas boots!
Tight Lines

Troutman
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: Next on your purchase list

Post by Troutman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:56 pm

Probably get me another Shimano Stella this year. I really like the 2019 look vs the old ;)
Was known as Troutman1

CheeseburgerFly
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:40 pm

Re: Next on your purchase list

Post by CheeseburgerFly » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:34 pm

barkeater wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:53 pm
You did not give length or purpose nymph vs. dry or all around. Look at the Cortland Competition if you need a nymphing rod. I have had my eye on that one since I saw the winner of the one fly in 2017 use it. Shannons carries it if you want to check it out. About $250 if I remember correctly. Just bought a new cold weather wading jacket by Snowbee $250. It is a down jacket with the down sealed in packets with no external stitching to keep the down dry. It has waterproof zippers in the pockets. Wore it fishing in 27-28 degree weather with a shirt and sweater underneath and I stayed warm for 3 hours.
9' 4 wt. I do both dry and nymph, so need the rod to be universal to keep costs down. 90% of my fishing is in NJ and the remainder is chasing wild trout in different states within driving distance.

I go and test rods at Shannon's to try and support the local guys as much as I can.

joe_panella
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:08 pm

Re: Next on your purchase list

Post by joe_panella » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:54 pm

Robert Bolt 8.5' 3/2 5wt being shipped Monday.

James Reid 8'5 2/2 4wt spliced joint currently being made, should have it in a couple months.

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: Next on your purchase list

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:03 pm

I picked up a new 7 weight for my Labrador trip last year, so I'm all set for awhile as I really don't need anything. My next big purchase is a new rifle in .257 Roberts. I have the Leupold scope brand new in the box, so I just need a gun to mount it on. Figured no need to keep shooting a big magnum for whitetails the rest of my life. Most likely a Kimber bolt action rifle, but might go with the Ruger # 1 single shot.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

CheeseburgerFly
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:40 pm

Re: Next on your purchase list

Post by CheeseburgerFly » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:16 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:03 pm
I picked up a new 7 weight for my Labrador trip last year, so I'm all set for awhile as I really don't need anything. My next big purchase is a new rifle in .257 Roberts. I have the Leupold scope brand new in the box, so I just need a gun to mount it on. Figured no need to keep shooting a big magnum for whitetails the rest of my life. Most likely a Kimber bolt action rifle, but might go with the Ruger # 1 single shot.
Plus guns are a solid investment. :D

User avatar
BiggerThomas
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Re: Next on your purchase list

Post by BiggerThomas » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:25 pm

Funny, I can't think of anything. I guess I'm either content or have become a minimalist....

rollcast
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:21 pm

Re: Next on your purchase list

Post by rollcast » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:46 am

A fishing license and trout stamp. I haven't gone fishing in 5 years...

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: Next on your purchase list

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:51 am

rollcast wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:46 am
A fishing license and trout stamp. I haven't gone fishing in 5 years...
That needs to end and soon! Life is too short not to fish :!:
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

User avatar
lightenup
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: Next on your purchase list

Post by lightenup » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:33 pm

A six pack of Golden Monkey, and a bottle of Lagavulin... 8-)

User avatar
Drossi
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: Next on your purchase list

Post by Drossi » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:50 pm

joe_panella wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:54 pm
Robert Bolt 8.5' 3/2 5wt being shipped Monday.

James Reid 8'5 2/2 4wt spliced joint currently being made, should have it in a couple months.
Nice.....
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

User avatar
Twism86
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: Cranford, NJ
Contact:

Re: Next on your purchase list

Post by Twism86 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:21 pm

Troutman wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:56 pm
Probably get me another Shimano Stella this year. I really like the 2019 look vs the old ;)
Money bags!! I have Stella 4000 that is over decade old I use for bass fishing. And by "use" I mean it sits safely in its box as I dont want to ding it up like all my other reels!
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

User avatar
Twism86
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: Cranford, NJ
Contact:

Re: Next on your purchase list

Post by Twism86 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:24 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:25 pm
Funny, I can't think of anything. I guess I'm either content or have become a minimalist....
Youre like me, you have enough fishing crap already its hard to find a blank spot in the arsenal!

I would love a nice 7'6'' bamboo but that is not an option right now.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

troutfishing4life
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:11 pm
Location: Chatham

Re: Next on your purchase list

Post by troutfishing4life » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:50 am

Will be buying some new stuff friday. Mainly new light action salt water gear for jigging fluke. But will probably buy a good fresh water bass set up too

Troutman
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: Next on your purchase list

Post by Troutman » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:38 pm

Twism86 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:21 pm
Troutman wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:56 pm
Probably get me another Shimano Stella this year. I really like the 2019 look vs the old ;)
Money bags!! I have Stella 4000 that is over decade old I use for bass fishing. And by "use" I mean it sits safely in its box as I dont want to ding it up like all my other reels!
:lol: not even. No difference in the fly guys purchasing a Orvis Mirage. Fishing with smooth equipment further enhances the experience
Was known as Troutman1

User avatar
Drossi
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: Next on your purchase list

Post by Drossi » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:29 pm

Troutman wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:38 pm
Twism86 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:21 pm
Troutman wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:56 pm
Probably get me another Shimano Stella this year. I really like the 2019 look vs the old ;)
Money bags!! I have Stella 4000 that is over decade old I use for bass fishing. And by "use" I mean it sits safely in its box as I dont want to ding it up like all my other reels!
:lol: not even. No difference in the fly guys purchasing a Orvis Mirage. Fishing with smooth equipment further enhances the experience
Mirage? I'd go vintage Hardy lightweight series or Orvis CFO. :) Of course I'd opt for a Mitchell 308 or 309 if I were in the market for a spinning reel
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Post Reply