POLY LEADERS

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
njcatchrelease

POLY LEADERS

Post by njcatchrelease » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:57 am

Anyone out there use Poly Leaders instead of sink tip fly line to get down deep? I've been hearing a lot of talk about them lately and was wondering if they are a better solution then purchasing a sink tip fly line and another spool for my Ross reel. Just wondering what the Pros & Cons would be. I'm also considering the Orvis PREDATOR POLY LEADER for my pike fishing.
Tight Lines

Jaybird

Re: POLY LEADERS

Post by Jaybird » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:47 am

WHEN TO USE A SINKING POLYLEADER VS. A SINK-TIP
Although polyleaders come in sinking densities, as noted they don’t have as much mass as a level “T” sink-tip (for example: T-10). Consequently, they work great for small to medium size flies that are un-weighted or lightly weighted. That being said, their taper allows them to land on the water with more stealth than a heavy sink-tip making them perfect for tough fishing situations. In the end, you’ll want to rely on sink-tips like T-7, T-10 and T-14 for dredging large, heavy flies and reserve your polyleaders for those times when the fish are shallow and spooky.

SUMMARY
As an streamer fisherman or spey angler for both steelhead or trout, polyleaders should be in your arsenal of tools and you should take care to note that they are offer great benefits even when casting lighter flies. If you need to go subsurface, sinking polyleaders are great for stealth but you'll want to utilize your sink-tips when fishing larger, heavier flies in deeper water.

Castaline

Post by Castaline » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:58 pm

Exactly what he said above

njcatchrelease

Post by njcatchrelease » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:00 am

Jaybird wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:47 am
WHEN TO USE A SINKING POLYLEADER VS. A SINK-TIP
Although polyleaders come in sinking densities, as noted they don’t have as much mass as a level “T” sink-tip (for example: T-10). Consequently, they work great for small to medium size flies that are un-weighted or lightly weighted. That being said, their taper allows them to land on the water with more stealth than a heavy sink-tip making them perfect for tough fishing situations. In the end, you’ll want to rely on sink-tips like T-7, T-10 and T-14 for dredging large, heavy flies and reserve your polyleaders for those times when the fish are shallow and spooky.

SUMMARY
As an streamer fisherman or spey angler for both steelhead or trout, polyleaders should be in your arsenal of tools and you should take care to note that they are offer great benefits even when casting lighter flies. If you need to go subsurface, sinking polyleaders are great for stealth but you'll want to utilize your sink-tips when fishing larger, heavier flies in deeper water.
Thanks for the info.
Tight Lines