Looking for Help

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
swissbill

Looking for Help

Post by swissbill » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:31 am

A few days ago I lost the two top sections of my 9ft fly rod (green) at the Flatbrook, along the path between the Three Bridges Parking area anddown stream to the large pool before getting to the Rifle Range.
If any one happened to spot it, would you mind calling 973-222-4559 ? Thanks much.

njcatchrelease

Re: Looking for Help

Post by njcatchrelease » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:12 pm

That sucks, I don't fish that area too often but I will definitely keep an eye out.
Tight Lines

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:24 pm

Try calling Whitewater Fly Shop up that way. Local fly shops are often the repository for lost and found items. Greg's phone # is: (973) 229-0424. Stokes Sports Shop on rt. 206 S is another shop to call.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

swissbill

Post by swissbill » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:11 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, was in there the day it happened, but did not mention any thing, spoke with Freddy

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:25 am

swissbill wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:11 pm
Thanks for the suggestion, was in there the day it happened, but did not mention any thing, spoke with Freddy
Try Stokes Shop as well.

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:00 am

I hope you eventually find those pieces, Bill. One of the up sides to fewer people fishing these days is the diminished risk of someone stealing your stuff. :lol:
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:42 pm

I lost the tip piece of a rod once, for a few minutes. I had snipped my fly and taken the line to the reel for the walk back to the car. I held my rod with the tip pointing behind me..it caught a tree and the tip portion slipped off and hung up in the tree. When I got back to the car I noticed it was missing. I retraced my steps and found it hanging in a tree. I will NEVER do that again. :shock:

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:28 am

lightenup wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:42 pm
I lost the tip piece of a rod once, for a few minutes. I had snipped my fly and taken the line to the reel for the walk back to the car. I held my rod with the tip pointing behind me..it caught a tree and the tip portion slipped off and hung up in the tree. When I got back to the car I noticed it was missing. I retraced my steps and found it hanging in a tree. I will NEVER do that again. :shock:
That's the most common reason anglers lose parts of their rods, because they snip off the fly when done fishing and reel up all the line. Leave the fly hooked to the hook catch and you can't lose a tip section or worse. When you get back to your car/house/lodge, then you can reel it all up. But make sure you string it up the next time you go before you head out for the same reason. We actually teach that at Shannon's with our clients. That and, "fly rod is always the last piece of equipment you get out, and first that you put back when arriving at your car". Too many people lean them against a car or tree or leave them on the car roof and lose both the rod and reel as they drive off.

This is your PSA for the day from your friends at Shannon's. :)

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:46 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:28 am
lightenup wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:42 pm
That's the most common reason anglers lose parts of their rods, because they snip off the fly when done fishing and reel up all the line. Leave the fly hooked to the hook catch and you can't lose a tip section or worse. When you get back to your car/house/lodge, then you can reel it all up. But make sure you string it up the next time you go before you head out for the same reason. We actually teach that at Shannon's with our clients. That and, "fly rod is always the last piece of equipment you get out, and first that you put back when arriving at your car". Too many people lean them against a car or tree or leave them on the car roof and lose both the rod and reel as they drive off.

This is your PSA for the day from your friends at Shannon's. :)
This might be your smartest post ever... :D ;)
Rod last, rod first....always!

swissbill

Post by swissbill » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:53 pm

That's exactly what happened to me, except, I had cought bottom and had to break-off, and never bothered to re-tie, and made it into the end of the day for me.
Not a good way to justify to buy a new rod.

Learning the hard way!

CheeseburgerFly

Post by CheeseburgerFly » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:06 pm

At least it didn't fly off into a deep pool in front of your face immediately after the line broke off. Then you would have to decide how much a new rod is worth to you.