Bamboo Fly Rod over Fireplace Mantle?

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Bamboo Fly Rod over Fireplace Mantle?

Post by BiggerThomas » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:55 pm

So I have a beautiful 7 foot bamboo fly rod made by Bernie Elsner that I would love to hang over my fireplace mantle. However, I'm wondering if the fire would eventually dry it out or mess with the coating? Intelligent replies only please, no mocking :lol:
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Bubba Zinetti

Re: Bamboo Fly Rod over Fireplace Mantle?

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:43 am

OK, you asked for opinions, so here is mine: NO, fish it, or sell it to someone who will. If it is in bad shape, and not a viable rod then give it (or sell it for a smaller amount) to someone who will fish it. Then buy a cheap piece of crap that you would never fish, or is un usable and hang that over your mantle.

I have strong feelings about this kind of thing. It is most prevalent among fancy car owners. No one is suggesting that you take you classic Ferrari to the work every day, but drive the damn thing. It is not a museum piece, it is a car (or in this case a fly rod.)

/rant over.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:18 am

I would imagine that rod would come unglued the very first fire you lit in your fireplace. Toss up a classic fiberglass rod instead and you should be fine.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:20 am

I believe bamboo should be stored similar to cigars with a steady temperature and humidity. Even in a rod tube you should leave the cap OFF so humidity cannot build up. If its a fish-able rod, my answer is NO.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:00 pm

Bubba Zinetti wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:43 am
OK, you asked for opinions, so here is mine: NO, fish it, or sell it to someone who will. If it is in bad shape, and not a viable rod then give it (or sell it for a smaller amount) to someone who will fish it. Then buy a cheap piece of crap that you would never fish, or is un usable and hang that over your mantle.

I have strong feelings about this kind of thing. It is most prevalent among fancy car owners. No one is suggesting that you take you classic Ferrari to the work every day, but drive the damn thing. It is not a museum piece, it is a car (or in this case a fly rod.)

/rant over.
I 2nd this. Find an old production rod and polish up if you want to hand something above the fireplace. An HI, Southbend, or Montague. I wouldn't do it to a 7' lighter line rod. Get that restored if it needs it and fish it.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

garden hackle

Post by garden hackle » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:32 am

I hope Bernie is not reading your post.
Public Service Announcement: Sometimes KARMA is best served cold!

Once a box salesman, always a box salesman, and he still cannot think outside of the box!

garden hackle

Post by garden hackle » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:25 am

Bigger, I will give you $100 over what you paid for the rod to take it off your hands.
Public Service Announcement: Sometimes KARMA is best served cold!

Once a box salesman, always a box salesman, and he still cannot think outside of the box!

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:27 am

Thanks for the responses. In fact I do fish this rod; I just thought I'd store it above the fireplace when I wasn't using it. It is in pristine condition.

And sorry GHackle, it's not for sale. The fish Gods would never forgive me :oops:

Hope to see you fellas out on the stream soon. I am happy that this week marks the beginning of March!
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:04 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:27 am
Hope to see you fellas out on the stream soon. I am happy that this week marks the beginning of March!
It also marks another out of bank event on NJ trout rivers. :D
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown