Finally Nice Weather and Nice Trout

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
joe_panella

Re: Finally Nice Weather and Nice Trout

Post by joe_panella » Mon May 14, 2018 3:03 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:37 am
joe_panella wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:37 am
That is actually a nice looking fish. Rusty or anyone else that may know, hare the rainbows holding over in the new catch and reelease area on the flatbrook.
One of the fisheries biologists is using PIT tags to monitor stocked rainbow survival and distribution in the Flat Brook. Next time I see him, I will inquire where that study is, but I do know that most stocked bows swim downstream with very few swimming upstream and even fewer staying where they were initially stocked.

That said, the FB is unique in that only the deeper pools hold fish. Predators are the likely cause of that, but I just never catch them in riffles or shallower runs in that river.
That is a good point, i never really thought about that but it is true. At the KLG you catch fish in 6" of water.

Twism86

Re: Finally Nice Weather and Nice Trout

Post by Twism86 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:42 am

joe_panella wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 3:03 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:37 am
joe_panella wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:37 am
That is actually a nice looking fish. Rusty or anyone else that may know, hare the rainbows holding over in the new catch and reelease area on the flatbrook.
One of the fisheries biologists is using PIT tags to monitor stocked rainbow survival and distribution in the Flat Brook. Next time I see him, I will inquire where that study is, but I do know that most stocked bows swim downstream with very few swimming upstream and even fewer staying where they were initially stocked.

That said, the FB is unique in that only the deeper pools hold fish. Predators are the likely cause of that, but I just never catch them in riffles or shallower runs in that river.
That is a good point, i never really thought about that but it is true. At the KLG you catch fish in 6" of water.
Fishing and nymphing the KLG really taught me to never ignore any tiny bit of water. Those long, shallow riffle sections that many walk by, fish them hard! It may look shallow but there is 1' pocket just beside a rock that can hold big fish! As a young padawan I was schooled in the ways of jedi nymphing by master Cam at the KLG. We spent hours fishing barely 1/4 mile of river and absolutely cleaned up.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."