Spruce Run Creek

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Twism86

Spruce Run Creek

Post by Twism86 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:29 pm

Does anyone know SRC is doing after the quarry crapped it up with sediment? Are there any updates to that story? Would love to see someone held accountable but I am not too hopeful that they had the hammer dropped on them.

Tom
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Mickey022752

Re: Spruce Run Creek

Post by Mickey022752 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:25 pm

I fished it a couple times this winter...Very Dissapointed..Fished spots that alway produced wild Trout for me and nada zip...Water looked perfect too...

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:06 am

Twism86 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:29 pm
Does anyone know SRC is doing after the quarry crapped it up with sediment? Are there any updates to that story? Would love to see someone held accountable but I am not too hopeful that they had the hammer dropped on them.

Tom
Between the cleanup, the DEP fine and the SEP (Secondary Environmental Project), that quarry was in it for about $3 million. That doesn't include a very hefty lawyer bill on top of that. So they paid some consequences. The stream is in good shape again and has been for a long time now. The cleanup was very effective once they worked out all the kinks.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:54 am

One of the spots I fish was upstream of the issue and the lastest flash floods where the creek goes over 1000 CFS really has changed the one spot

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:55 am

Brian,

Any word on if they will be adding extra fish to help with the fish that were lost due to the accident. Maybe stocked fingerling size trout

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:18 pm

troutfishing4life wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:55 am
Brian,

Any word on if they will be adding extra fish to help with the fish that were lost due to the accident. Maybe stocked fingerling size trout
No, they didn't lose any trout, just macroinvertebrates that trout feed on until the bottom was cleaned by vacuum cleaning it, essentially. Plenty of wild browns up t0 20+ inches down low and native brookies way up high. I'm currently doing a dam removal nearer the headwaters.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:44 pm

I was told by the Quarry contact that they lost 1 trout...went to town meetings and called them several times for info...1 trout, lol. I fish it several times a year as I live by it. The wild trout population, like all our creeks it seems, has been suffering over the past few years. I don't think the quarry had anything to do with it though. I did catch a few wild ones this year which was nice to see, but 10 years ago they were thick in there, browns mostly and a few brookies,...The creek looks great where it was cleaned. I haven't ventured into that section to fish yet, as I think I would be very disappointed.

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:46 am

Good to know that no trout were lost to this. The high water this year has changed the creek alot I think

NJAngler

Post by NJAngler » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:27 pm

Fished it last fall from reservoir upstream to the powerlines...nada...not even a follow. However way, way upstream in the headwaters on some cty land caught a few wild browns.

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:53 pm

Never had any luck in that lower section. More in the middle of the creek

martalus

Post by martalus » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:35 am

Fished it last fall from reservoir upstream to the powerlines...nada...not even a follow. However way, way upstream in the headwaters on some cty land caught a few wild browns.
That's sad-10 years ago, you could always find wild browns, some up to 18-20 inches as well as a smattering of holdover bows in the lower section from the power lines on down.

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:35 am

martalus wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:35 am
That's sad-10 years ago, you could always find wild browns, some up to 18-20 inches as well as a smattering of holdover bows in the lower section from the power lines on down.
That is sad but year after year of low water really hurt the fishing. Hopefully with the last year of rain it will help it come back.

martalus

Post by martalus » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:17 am

Was it on a day with good conditions? Could it have been spawning time and fish were elsewhere? Sometimes streams like that and the Mulhockaway fished awful in low water and you would swear there were no brown trout in there but then during a rain storm with cloudy conditions they would be everywhere. Sad that these streams really are suffering due to sustained droughts and development.