Spruce Run Creek stocking:

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
BillSmith

Spruce Run Creek stocking:

Post by BillSmith » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:42 pm

This spring the Spruce Run Creek will get 3,210 trout while the main stem of the Raritan river will get 3,390 trout stocked.
Sorry, I don't get it.
Attachments
IMG_0480.JPG
IMG_0480.JPG (149.96 KiB) Viewed 12460 times

Troutman

Re: Spruce Run Creek stocking:

Post by Troutman » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:58 pm

Because they know the stocked trout in the Raritan main stem will become striper food :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:12 pm

Geez the Rahway drainage ditch and acid puddle gets 11,970 a year! Now there's something!
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:42 pm

Drossi wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:12 pm
Geez the Rahway drainage ditch and acid puddle gets 11,970 a year! Now there's something!
NJDF&W way of feeding the "Hood" fresh fish via poachers :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:04 pm

Hey , last year some of those fish actually held over in the Rahway ... As far as poachers I'm sure some of that goes on , but where dosent it ?

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:58 pm

Jaybird wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:04 pm
Hey , last year some of those fish actually held over in the Rahway ... As far as poachers I'm sure some of that goes on , but where dosent it ?
Ken Lockwood Gorge ;) .... There's always @ least 2 Fish & wildlife officers there watching every move you make :shock: . You take a trout out of the water to release. They are on you like flies on s*it :oops:
Was known as Troutman1

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:32 pm

BillSmith wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:42 pm
This spring the Spruce Run Creek will get 3,210 trout while the main stem of the Raritan river will get 3,390 trout stocked.
Sorry, I don't get it.
Spruce Run Creek should not be stocked at all, it produces wild trout.

Dave B.

Post by Dave B. » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:33 pm

lightenup wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:32 pm
Not in sufficient numbers to support a fishery. If it did or could it would have been removed from the stocking program long ago and added to the WTS list. Mulhockaway used to support a far greater wild brown population than Spruce Run ever did, that's why it (Mulhock) was one of the only 2 designated 'Natural Trout Fishing Streams' in NJ long before the current WTS program was instituted. Development in the Mulhockaway watershed resulted in a dramatic decline in both water quality and quantity and it was eventually removed from the Natural Trout Stream list, leaving only Van Campens Brook as the sole designated stream at the time.

Ceasing stocking does not by any means automatically mean that the exisiting wild population will begin to flourish. A number of smaller streams in NJ which have wild pops of browns and/or brookies have been removed from the stocking schedule over the years sand while some have done well many others have either remained stable or seen a decline in wild trout numbers. Below is an example a given by Mark, 'NJAngler' who most here know is an avid wild trout enthusiast.

Re: Rhinehart Brook brown trout removal...

Post by NJAngler » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:25 pm

Tuttle Corner Brook has produced fair number of wild browns for me over the years but its been in the decline for years. Its one of the few streams where stocking was discontinued but wild trout numbers dropped.

BillSmith

Post by BillSmith » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:34 am

The TCA KLG NO KILL gets 2,750, then they cram more trout in there in the fall
NO KILL = NO TROUT

The Musconetcong river gets a mere 51,880 trout !!!

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:09 pm

Dave B. wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:33 pm
lightenup wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:32 pm
Not in sufficient numbers to support a fishery. If it did or could it would have been removed from the stocking program long ago and added to the WTS list. Mulhockaway used to support a far greater wild brown population than Spruce Run ever did, that's why it (Mulhock) was one of the only 2 designated 'Natural Trout Fishing Streams' in NJ long before the current WTS program was instituted. Development in the Mulhockaway watershed resulted in a dramatic decline in both water quality and quantity and it was eventually removed from the Natural Trout Stream list, leaving only Van Campens Brook as the sole designated stream at the time.

Ceasing stocking does not by any means automatically mean that the exisiting wild population will begin to flourish. A number of smaller streams in NJ which have wild pops of browns and/or brookies have been removed from the stocking schedule over the years sand while some have done well many others have either remained stable or seen a decline in wild trout numbers. Below is an example a given by Mark, 'NJAngler' who most here know is an avid wild trout enthusiast.

Re: Rhinehart Brook brown trout removal...

Post by NJAngler » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:25 pm

Tuttle Corner Brook has produced fair number of wild browns for me over the years but its been in the decline for years. Its one of the few streams where stocking was discontinued but wild trout numbers dropped.
I believe you work for Fish and Game? ....So, I have fished both of these creeks for many many years, ....if it was a few years ago I would tell you that you are wrong...Spruce run creek used to be filled with wild fish, I used to catch them by the dozens, not more than 8 years ago..it is suffering now...Mulhockaway, not five years ago had thousands if not more, baby trout, and shoals of wild brookies....I have seen this with my own eyes, and caught them...now not so much...this probably has to do with the low water and high temps, just guessing, but the decline has been rapid..
I understand that stopping the stocking program does not guarantee more wild fish, but if it never tried on that creek, we will never know. Maybe it also has to do with the reservoir...there used to be lake run fish, very large brown trout that would swim up in the fall...I've witnessed that as well and photographed them...I have also seen people post large browns caught in SRR, asking why it isn't stocked with trout anymore..of course they are holding the dead wild fish from the gills for a hero shot....Maybe these fish are now gone..I also am assuming the berms in SRC from the quarry mess, prevented these fish from spawning in the creek as they were there from late summer to early winter and were impassable...I'm not arguing, just sharing experiences and longing for the days of these creeks being abundantly filled with wild fish...Another creek I used to catch loads of wild fish in is also having the same problem, this one used to be stocked, but they stopped a long time ago,(I'll PM you the name of that one) also in Hunterdon County..no lake run there, but rapidly declining numbers, I don't even fish it anymore. Hopefully the wetness of this year will help a bit.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/o ... /86347892/

Dave B.

Post by Dave B. » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:22 pm

Spruce Run Creek has always been cyclical regarding the wild browns there. You are quite right that the upper areas have pretty much always held decent numbers of brookies, however until somewhat recently (within the past 10 years or so I believe) the majority of the water up there was strictly private.
Mulhockaway does have occasional good spawn years but definitely not consistent enough to support WTS regs. I too have seen the giant browns that used to make spawning runs up the Mulhockaway, but the last time I saw any was at least 15 years ago if not longer. The ever more frequent and dramatic drawdowns of the res are most likely to blame for the loss of those big browns running in both Mulhock and Spruce Run. When the res is drawn way down as it too often is there isn't a sufficiently oxygenated thermocline available to sustain the trout. Very sad really, I used to greatly appreciate that fishery.

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:21 pm

stop being so butt hurt that the one river you like doesnt get more fish.