Stocking

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
lightenup

Stocking

Post by lightenup » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:48 pm

So, I believe stocking starts next week....I know Rusty follows the truck around to find fish catchable for him, who else here is a stocking truck chaser....My grand-dad used to chase it in PA, because grandma loved trout!!! I think they taste like shit!!!! If I see it I'll take pictures to let all you meat guys know where to fish!!!! :D :D ;) ;) ;)

CheeseburgerFly

Re: Stocking

Post by CheeseburgerFly » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:38 pm

Can't wait. More people on the water and all of the nice sized holders end up on a stringer.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:15 pm

No need to be the trout truck chaser :lol: . I know how to fish for them ;) . Besides they dump them in the same spots for years :o . If you know the trouts habitats are. Youll be good. Besides Im a 100% C&R person anyway. The only way that I would take a stockie if they somehow die :( . Then I would just give them to my elderly neighbors to have a meal :) .
Was known as Troutman1

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:33 pm

lightenup wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:48 pm
So, I believe stocking starts next week....I know Rusty follows the truck around to find fish catchable for him, who else here is a stocking truck chaser....My grand-dad used to chase it in PA, because grandma loved trout!!! I think they taste like shit!!!! If I see it I'll take pictures to let all you meat guys know where to fish!!!! :D :D ;) ;) ;)
That's nothing. One year I climbed up onto the tank platform, opened the tank hatch, and czeck nymphed till I got run off by Johnny Big Law. :lol:
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:58 pm

CheeseburgerFly wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:38 pm
Can't wait. More people on the water and all of the nice sized holders end up on a stringer.
I'm going to go get me a fall stocker holdover this weekend. 6 months in the river on natural food should make them better table fare. :lol:
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

CheeseburgerFly

Post by CheeseburgerFly » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:10 pm

Drossi wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:58 pm
CheeseburgerFly wrote:
I'm going to go get me a fall stocker holdover this weekend. 6 months in the river on natural food should make them better table fare. :lol:
I guess I'll have to start fishing the Manville section of the Rartian after they reallocate trout from the Rahway.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:20 pm

Drossi wrote:
CheeseburgerFly wrote:
Just as well purchase some wild caught salmon from Whole foods. Your palate will thank you :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:24 pm

CheeseburgerFly wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:10 pm
Drossi wrote:
CheeseburgerFly wrote:
I guess I'll have to start fishing the Manville section of the Rartian after they reallocate trout from the Rahway.
Anything from Manville down on the S. Branch is a cease pool anyway :o ..... :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

barkeater

Post by barkeater » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:25 pm

Glad that stocking is coming. I'm getting tired of catching the same old trout. :D

rollcast

Post by rollcast » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:51 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:33 pm
lightenup wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:48 pm
That's nothing. One year I climbed up onto the tank platform, opened the tank hatch, and czeck nymphed till I got run off by Johnny Big Law. :lol:
You're better of with a big treble and 3 oz. lead weight!!! :lol:

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:58 pm

rollcast wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:51 pm
You're better of with a big treble and 3 oz. lead weight!!! :lol:
:o :o .... :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:23 am

Stocked Fish are gross , wild fish are to valuable to catch just once ..... But on the Rahway River as you know we get a plethora of trouts , which will be harvested at our leisure as we bask in the glow of the Union County waste Incinerator .... The Good living just keeps on rolling in Union County folks ....

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:39 pm

Jaybird wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:23 am
Stocked Fish are gross , wild fish are to valuable to catch just once ..... But on the Rahway River as you know we get a plethora of trouts , which will be harvested at our leisure as we bask in the glow of the Union County waste Incinerator .... The Good living just keeps on rolling in Union County folks ....
True, but that green glow they give off helps you target your bait/lure/fly right to them on or near bottom.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:40 pm

Troutman wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:15 pm
No need to be the trout truck chaser :lol: . I know how to fish for them ;) . Besides they dump them in the same spots for years :o . If you know the trouts habitats are. Youll be good. Besides Im a 100% C&R person anyway. The only way that I would take a stockie if they somehow die :( . Then I would just give them to my elderly neighbors to have a meal :) .
Power bait and mop flies for everyone!!!!!!

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:41 pm

Troutman wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:20 pm
Drossi wrote:
CheeseburgerFly wrote:
Just as well purchase some wild caught salmon from Whole foods. Your palate will thank you :lol:
That salmon is frozen, or wild caught right out of the runs they farm them in... :D :roll:

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:47 pm

lightenup wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:41 pm
Troutman wrote:
Drossi wrote:

That salmon is frozen, or wild caught right out of the runs they farm them in... :D :roll:
I can't speak for Whole Foods, but my Shop Rite always carries both farm raised salmon (Atlantic salmon, often raised around the world) and wild caught salmon, typically from Alaska. You pay more for the wild caught and most people prefer the fattier flesh of the farm (pen) raised salmon, so it is not as popular a seller. Sometimes they get wild char as well. Sometimes frozen, sometimes fresh. My local store seems to be stepping up their seafood game of late.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:25 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:47 pm
lightenup wrote:
Troutman wrote:

I can't speak for Whole Foods, but my Shop Rite always carries both farm raised salmon (Atlantic salmon, often raised around the world) and wild caught salmon, typically from Alaska. You pay more for the wild caught and most people prefer the fattier flesh of the farm (pen) raised salmon, so it is not as popular a seller. Sometimes they get wild char as well. Sometimes frozen, sometimes fresh. My local store seems to be stepping up their seafood game of late.
I can guarantee you that the char is NOT wild caught..They are big fat liars!!!!!! Wild salmon, they will catch at sea, but most is "refreshed", a fancy word for thawed frozen fish...if the sockeye are running, you will see loads of that. I deal with fish mongers daily, they know what's up!!!!! Now about you chasing stocking trucks, THOSE ARE NOT WILD FISH!!!! :D ;)

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:44 pm

lightenup wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:25 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:47 pm
lightenup wrote:

I can guarantee you that the char is NOT wild caught..They are big fat liars!!!!!! Wild salmon, they will catch at sea, but most is "refreshed", a fancy word for thawed frozen fish...if the sockeye are running, you will see loads of that. I deal with fish mongers daily, they know what's up!!!!! Now about you chasing stocking trucks, THOSE ARE NOT WILD FISH!!!! :D ;)
I see some folks on Instagram that would disagree theyer pellet filled trout are absolutely wild .

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:38 pm

lightenup wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:40 pm
Power bait and mop flies for everyone!!!!!!
Power bait is for suckers...... :o :.....lol: I either use spinners barbless single hook or jigs barbless hook also ....Mopflier maybe when I can muster up my fly rod ;)
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:44 pm

lightenup wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:25 pm
Wild salmon, they will catch at sea, but most is "refreshed", a fancy word for thawed frozen fish...
Nothing wrong with "refreshed"= flash frozen 8-) . Amazing things about technology today ;) . cant feel or taste the difference
Was known as Troutman1