Sink Tip Fly Line

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
cappy

Sink Tip Fly Line

Post by cappy » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:34 pm

Do you use one? If so on which streams and how do they work?

Just wondering if truly useful for fishing streamers on Jersey streams.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

garden hackle

Re: Sink Tip Fly Line

Post by garden hackle » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:45 pm

Most NJ streams do not need a sink tip. The leader and tippet is usually long enough to reach the bottom without a sink tip. Plus a sink tip would mask any hits.

Now, in deep waters, a sink tip can be helpful to get that fly to the right depth.

Oh, and fishing sink tips is like cheating :D
Public Service Announcement: Sometimes KARMA is best served cold!

Once a box salesman, always a box salesman, and he still cannot think outside of the box!

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:34 am

I use sometimes a sinking leader which is like lead core line about 6 feet long and find it very effective fishing streamers in high water conditions. You can only use a short tippet with it, about 18-24 inches. Eliminates the need to purchase a sink tip fly line

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:04 am

Also depends on your streamer , is it weighted , then you probably don't need a sink tip , but unweighted streamers a sinktip may be great .... I see both options unweighted streamers will move natural , and can be stripped in slower using a sinktip... While a weighted streamer , you may have to really strip it in faster , but get down quiicker ... There's alot more to it than that I know ....it's just the tip of the iceberg .

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:08 pm

Jaybird wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:04 am
Also depends on your streamer , is it weighted , then you probably don't need a sink tip , but unweighted streamers a sinktip may be great .... I see both options unweighted streamers will move natural , and can be stripped in slower using a sinktip... While a weighted streamer , you may have to really strip it in faster , but get down quiicker ... There's alot more to it than that I know ....it's just the tip of the iceberg .
Is that a sink tip of the iceberg? ;)

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:33 pm

lightenup wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:08 pm
Jaybird wrote:
I see what you did there .....it took a minute to Sink in ....

cappy

Post by cappy » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:54 pm

Thanks all for the replies. I was thinking our streams may be to shallow under normal conditions, needed others thoughts experiences before investing in a sink tip line. Need to sleep on it. I have a spare reel, may be worth the investment for the Upper Delaware. I see some really inexpensive sink tip lines, may go that route before investing in an expensive line.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:32 pm

Jaybird wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:33 pm
lightenup wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:08 pm
Jaybird wrote:
I see what you did there .....it took a minute to Sink in ....
Gave me a sinking feeling when you didn't reply right away... ;) :shock:

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:18 pm

cappy wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:54 pm
Thanks all for the replies. I was thinking our streams may be to shallow under normal conditions, needed others thoughts experiences before investing in a sink tip line. Need to sleep on it. I have a spare reel, may be worth the investment for the Upper Delaware. I see some really inexpensive sink tip lines, may go that route before investing in an expensive line.
Check eBay you can simply buy and old sinking line and cut it to like 4ft make loops on either end and you have a sinking head ... Again this isn't exact science but it could get the desired result .