Good luck and have fun tomorrow

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Rusty Spinner

Good luck and have fun tomorrow

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:19 am

Opening Day for trout is a rite of passage for many, and a chance to gather with family and friends. The fishing part is just a bonus for most. Let's hope the heavy rains skirt by and we aren't blown out for the opener although more often than not we are. I look forward to my TU chapter "Shenanigans" tomorrow on the banks of the Musky, eating and drinking with friends and maybe even getting a little fishing in. Good luck to all venturing out and please be safe and courteous to the many other anglers out there over the next several weeks.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

troutfishing4life

Re: Good luck and have fun tomorrow

Post by troutfishing4life » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:31 am

Best of luck all!

Will be out with friends early fishing is plus but the best part is the bsing and drinking beer in the early morning

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:38 am

troutfishing4life wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:31 am
Best of luck all!

Will be out with friends early fishing is plus but the best part is the bsing and drinking beer in the early morning
Beer is nice. Basil Hayden's Two by Two Rye is nicer :D

CheeseburgerFly

Post by CheeseburgerFly » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:23 pm

Good luck to all. I hope the fishing is good and the good times are better.

Luke_M310

Post by Luke_M310 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:19 am

I went for a hike this morning in the Black River State Park. I didn’t realize it was opening day... in my travels, I walked past no less than 20 people occupying a single 200 yard stretch where the river turns along State Park Road. Not a single person had more than 100 square feet of river themselves. I continued on and made a loop of about 6.5 miles without seeing another soul.

I found it baffling that no one was heading down river. Granted, I don’t know this water at all, but there is a clearly marked path that will take you quite a ways down the river, and there’s some great water if you’re willing to just walk a little bit. It’s not like it’s a secret, it’s right there for everyone to see. And if you’re willing to take on a bit of a hike, there are GREAT areas/pockets that are likely untouched.

Am I missing something?

EDIT: I was just leaving the parking lot at Cooper Mill and saw a guy emerge with what looked like a beautiful rainbow (couldn’t tell at a distance) that was no less than 18”. Good for him.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:36 pm

Luke_M310 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:19 am
I went for a hike this morning in the Black River State Park. I didn’t realize it was opening day... in my travels, I walked past no less than 20 people occupying a single 200 yard stretch where the river turns along State Park Road. Not a single person had more than 100 square feet of river themselves. I continued on and made a loop of about 6.5 miles without seeing another soul.

I found it baffling that no one was heading down river. Granted, I don’t know this water at all, but there is a clearly marked path that will take you quite a ways down the river, and there’s some great water if you’re willing to just walk a little bit. It’s not like it’s a secret, it’s right there for everyone to see. And if you’re willing to take on a bit of a hike, there are GREAT areas/pockets that are likely untouched.

Am I missing something?

EDIT: I was just leaving the parking lot at Cooper Mill and saw a guy emerge with what looked like a beautiful rainbow (couldn’t tell at a distance) that was no less than 18”. Good for him.
Its just like being a social drinker in a bar. You wanna be seen & socialize. I guess they want to be seen catching the fish. Me I rather fish solo & in solitude.
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:11 am

Luke_M310 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:19 am

Am I missing something?

The old herd mentality is as true of humans as it is deer or cattle. All the Musky bridge stocking sites were shoulder to shoulder Saturday morning, but the first pool downstream of each of those sites has as many fish in it, and nobody walks down to it to have it all to themselves. Cracks me up.

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:04 pm

I didn't make it out over the weekend as I had other chores to do in the nice weather. Hopefully most of you got out and enjoyed it!
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."