Dirty water wild browns

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Drossi

Dirty water wild browns

Post by Drossi » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:02 pm

Got out Saturday 4/20 for some rainy day, small stream wild brown fishing. Went retro with a Fenwick Feralite. Stream conditions were just where I was hoping they'd be, up with some color to the flow.Managed a couple of little browns and was satisfied, then it happened. I got to a nice undercut, flipped a rollcast into it, and out came a beast (for this stream) of a brown to inhale my bugger. I should always expect the unexpected but this startled me. The fish immediately tried to make off for the cut bank and the overhanging brush. I chased and managed to slip down into the hole on my rear end, very graceful. The trout stayed on and I eventually freed her from the snags and got it into the net. My best ever wild NJ brown!
Attachments
Wild brown 4-20.JPG
Wild brown 4-20.JPG (71.99 KiB) Viewed 4973 times
undercut bank.JPG
undercut bank.JPG (71.46 KiB) Viewed 4973 times
Small wild brown 4-20.JPG
Small wild brown 4-20.JPG (70.7 KiB) Viewed 4973 times
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Twism86

Re: Dirty water wild browns

Post by Twism86 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:41 pm

That second pic of the undercut bank is MONEY!!! Im sure a few big ones that that bank home! I still havent been out since it warmed up, I gotta change that soon....
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:08 pm

Twism86 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:41 pm
That second pic of the undercut bank is MONEY!!! Im sure a few big ones that that bank home! I still havent been out since it warmed up, I gotta change that soon....
I agree.
Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to find out if there was more than one good fish in there. The pool is probably 15' long but I stepped off the ledge and fell into it while trying to get the fish out from under the brush on the far side! :oops: I'll just have to wait for the next rain event and give it another whirl.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:58 pm

Love the fish, but the visual of the fight and the slip into the river is priceless. :D

We are planning to do some undercut bank work on TU's Lopatcong Creek restoration project. We do it often in Montana on spring creeks. Browns and brookies love it!
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown