Brookies

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
NJpatbee

Brookies

Post by NJpatbee » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:04 pm

After moving to South Jersey I finally got up to my favorite wild trout streams. Wow, after good flows for over a year, brookies were plentiful and many larger fish compared to recent years. Still plenty of juveniles but I couldn't get over some of the brookies that I was catching. Anyone else notice the same trend?

Dave B.

Re: Brookies

Post by Dave B. » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:55 pm

During the very few times I've been out since the new year I have to agree with you Pat. It seems the return of good water for some time now has definitely had its expected positive impact on the wild pops.
BTW, I didn't know you had moved down my way. How far south have you come?

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:29 am

Good to see that you have made it back up north to chase those natives you have always loved, Pat. Now we need another year or two of a good spawn to rebuild wild trout numbers which are way down throughout the state and region based on electrofishing results. A nearly 10 year drought will do that.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:58 pm

Keep the rains coming!! I almost took a trip to my favorite brookie stream today. Will have to go soon and see how it is.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:23 am

Dave B. wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:55 pm
During the very few times I've been out since the new year I have to agree with you Pat. It seems the return of good water for some time now has definitely had its expected positive impact on the wild pops.
I am down in Barnegat. I will have to check out the Toms River but I still plan to chase the wild trout up North.

Dave B.

Post by Dave B. » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:24 am

NJpatbee wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:23 am
Dave B. wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:55 pm
I am down in Barnegat. I will have to check out the Toms River but I still plan to chase the wild trout up North.
Ah, okay. I'm a bit further south and west being right on the Camden Co/Gloucester Co border. In 'Joisey' terms, turnpike exit 3, about 5 miles from the west end of the A.C. Expressway.