Shannon's One Fly

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
PortMurrayAng

Shannon's One Fly

Post by PortMurrayAng » Fri May 03, 2019 7:51 am

I may give the One Fly competition a shot this weekend at the trout fest in Califon. Is anyone else in? Does anyone know the specific rules? Are we tying the fly we will use at the site before the event? Do we need to bring our vices, materials, and equipment? I looked at the FB page and did not see specific rules (maybe I just missed them).

Thanks for any info.

Rusty Spinner

Re: Shannon's One Fly

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri May 03, 2019 1:30 pm

I'm not sure of the rules, but give Shannon's a call and someone should know there. 908-832-5736 is their number, Roy.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Fri May 03, 2019 1:47 pm

It sounds like flies have to be tied on site before the start. I have a travel bag for my tying stuff. I'll just bring it.

The next question is: do I use a mop'n'glo? Or a less effective, but socially acceptable, hare's ear?

njcatchrelease

Post by njcatchrelease » Fri May 03, 2019 2:20 pm

PortMurrayAng wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:47 pm
It sounds like flies have to be tied on site before the start. I have a travel bag for my tying stuff. I'll just bring it.

The next question is: do I use a mop'n'glo? Or a less effective, but socially acceptable, hare's ear?
I fished Wednesday and the trout were going crazy over an olive woolly bugger.
Tight Lines

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Fri May 03, 2019 2:28 pm

Question you gotta ask yourself , do you wanna be the guy to tie a mop in front of those youngsters ? And if you win do you wanna be the guy who won with a piece of mop . That's between you and your God. Heavy is the head that wears the crown of the one bug .
I support you either way !

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Fri May 03, 2019 3:14 pm

Be brave, go, tie an Adam's, and expect to win, even if you don't you may win a prize for big balls!!!!! :D

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri May 03, 2019 3:30 pm

Jaybird wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:28 pm
Question you gotta ask yourself , do you wanna be the guy to tie a mop in front of those youngsters ? And if you win do you wanna be the guy who won with a piece of mop . That's between you and your God. Heavy is the head that wears the crown of the one bug .
I support you either way !
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri May 03, 2019 3:31 pm

njcatchrelease wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:20 pm
PortMurrayAng wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:47 pm

I fished Wednesday and the trout were going crazy over an olive woolly bugger.
Not sure why, but that particular river is a magnet for the olive woolly bugger and always has been. For those of you that know Jim Holland and follow him on Facebook, nearly all those big nighttime fish he lands are on that one fly. I know, because I'm often standing next to him. :)

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Fri May 03, 2019 5:10 pm

Yeah, I could not face the world with a dubious title. I like the Double Standard when I fish the SBR, so I’ll go with that. We will see. I am still not sure if I’ll be signing up.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri May 03, 2019 6:33 pm

Watch tonight's weather closely. If we do get hit with t-storms and the river jumps up a bit and turns off color a bit, something with flash like an olive WB with olive flash might do the trick. Plus you can fish it on 3X and not break off.

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Sat May 04, 2019 11:44 am

River will be high tomorrow!! Already climbing from today's weather. I'm heading out in a bit. Will report back....
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."