Great Day on WTS but pass the Advil!

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
NJpatbee

Great Day on WTS but pass the Advil!

Post by NJpatbee » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:34 pm

I went to my favorite NJ WTS on Saturday and was greeted by about 15 yards of large fallen trees including a hemlock with about a 3 foot diameter trunk halfway down my usual trail. I had to crawl and lift myself thrugh the barrier for 15 minutes. Howeer, the fishing was excellent with some surpising insect activity. I caught every trout but one using a variety of sizes and colors of Len Wrights Fluttering Caddis dry fly. Most of the brookies were in the smallish 5 inch or less range with one about 7 inches. The non-brookie wild trout were substantially larger and I landed five very strong fish all 10 inch plus. But then I had to crawl my way out through the path and by that time I was one big cramp. I did well limping and fishing downstream and called it a day when I got to my car. Dozens of little trout and few nice adults and my spirits were high as I struggled to remove my wading boots. Too late for Advil when I got home but a sure remedy was to sit outside with my feet up and enjoy a good scotch and maduro cigar. Too much winter inactvity!

Twism86

Re: Great Day on WTS but pass the Advil!

Post by Twism86 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:07 pm

Where I fished Sunday was similar! Those snow storms did a numbers on the tree but those who press on will be rewarded. Nothing wrong with keeping some on the lazier people away!
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:38 pm

Yes - I did not see another person and it was a Saturday.

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:33 pm

The downed trees are a real PITA. I don't mind when they're in the stream but most of the damned things are on the trials. :(
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:53 am

The storms put a hurting on the trees. Minus going around the trees its a great day you had there