Technical question ? Picture for attention only

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Troutman

Technical question ? Picture for attention only

Post by Troutman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:07 am

I have a question. If a fisherman hooks a trout in general regulation water. Then the trout runs into protected catch & release water. Is he allowed to keep the trout after he lands or nets it ?. A question I always wundered ? As I fish teh Gorge sometimes & see guys above it keep fish. Picture is for attention only. That baby was released without harm ;)
Was known as Troutman1

lightenup

Re: Technical question ? Picture for attention only

Post by lightenup » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:46 pm

All trout should be released unharmed... ;)

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:30 pm

My guess is it would legally depend on where you are standing when you land the fish. In the KLG, let it go. General reg water, keep it if you want. Same would apply to walking through the KLG with a fish on a stringer you caught in general water, a CO would still argue that you cannot prove you didnt catch it in the KLG and would cite you.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:30 am

I always laugh at the spin guys that stand under the Point Mountain Road bridge and toss bait or lures up into the TCA as if the fish are all in the TCA and none in front of them in that deep hole below the bridge. :D

COs have a wide range of latitude as to how to treat those anglers. My guess is they consider intent. Hooking a trout in the general regs waters and having it run into special regs waters before being landed is different than standing on the line and casting into the special regs waters expecting to catch one and drag it into regular regulations waters.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown