Ok it's cool enough , we can officially talk about trout again

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Post Reply
Jaybird
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:23 am

Ok it's cool enough , we can officially talk about trout again

Post by Jaybird » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:50 am

Cooler Temps looks like the rivers are within range at least part of the day . Interesting time of year to hit our trout waters , ISO's are about , terrestrial's and fall Olives not far behind . And someone had to post something .

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 442
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: Ok it's cool enough , we can officially talk about trout again

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:19 am

Jaybird wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:50 am
Cooler Temps looks like the rivers are within range at least part of the day . Interesting time of year to hit our trout waters , ISO's are about , terrestrial's and fall Olives not far behind . And someone had to post something .
Too funny because you beat me to it! I glanced here this morning after being on a project in CT the last nearly two weeks, restoring a half mile of the Norwalk River in Wilton, CT and was surprised at no trout posts after the recent cool down. I haven't been myself, but will be out very soon as in over this coming weekend most likely.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

User avatar
cappy
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:22 pm
Location: On the River

Re: Ok it's cool enough , we can officially talk about trout again

Post by cappy » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:49 am

Caught some wild browns and rainbows last weekend on top, early morning outing wanted to be sure water temps were low. Hoping to get back up to the Catskills in a few weeks.

PortMurrayAng
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Ok it's cool enough , we can officially talk about trout again

Post by PortMurrayAng » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:45 pm

Fish are there in the Musky, but skiddish. Watched a slow-mo take of my iso emerger a few evenings ago. Tonight may be iffy, but I'm going out in 15 mins.

joe_panella
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:08 pm

Re: Ok it's cool enough , we can officially talk about trout again

Post by joe_panella » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:27 pm

I am going to try and hit the wts section of the pequannock either tomorrow or sat. Plan to explore it a bit as well now that it is low.

PortMurrayAng
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Ok it's cool enough , we can officially talk about trout again

Post by PortMurrayAng » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:30 pm

Got one on an iso emerger. 66 degrees.

User avatar
coaltrout
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:47 pm

Re: Ok it's cool enough , we can officially talk about trout again

Post by coaltrout » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:09 pm

Ill commit once the smb stop biting :mrgreen: I think after the October stocking ill try for trout once or twice, then nothing but trout once the smb bite gets cold

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 442
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: Ok it's cool enough , we can officially talk about trout again

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:29 am

joe_panella wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:27 pm
I am going to try and hit the wts section of the pequannock either tomorrow or sat. Plan to explore it a bit as well now that it is low.
Fish behind River of Beer in Riverdale and you can have a cold adult beverage and a good meal while you fish. :)
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

User avatar
lightenup
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: Ok it's cool enough , we can officially talk about trout again

Post by lightenup » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:41 pm

Fished the KLG Monday..63 degree water temp at 11 AM, caught 1, spotted one large fish....not much happening down there.

User avatar
coaltrout
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:47 pm

Re: Ok it's cool enough , we can officially talk about trout again

Post by coaltrout » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:05 am

BUMP, Let the games begin.

Image

User avatar
lightenup
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: Ok it's cool enough , we can officially talk about trout again

Post by lightenup » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:03 pm

coaltrout wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:05 am
BUMP, Let the games begin.

Image
looks good, but we need more of that wet stuff that's coming on Monday.

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 442
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: Ok it's cool enough , we can officially talk about trout again

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:20 pm

lightenup wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:03 pm
coaltrout wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:05 am
BUMP, Let the games begin.

Image
looks good, but we need more of that wet stuff that's coming on Monday.
AFTER I do the Burnt Mills dam removal project, of course :D :D
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

User avatar
coaltrout
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:47 pm

Re: Ok it's cool enough , we can officially talk about trout again

Post by coaltrout » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:54 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:20 pm

AFTER I do the Burnt Mills dam removal project, of course :D :D
Are you talking about the old dam that has been just sitting around and letting water run around it and eating the bank? I havent been to that part of the lamington since spring. How is the progress on it? Or Should I just take a look myself :mrgreen:

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 442
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: Ok it's cool enough , we can officially talk about trout again

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:07 am

coaltrout wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:54 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:20 pm

AFTER I do the Burnt Mills dam removal project, of course :D :D
Are you talking about the old dam that has been just sitting around and letting water run around it and eating the bank? I havent been to that part of the lamington since spring. How is the progress on it? Or Should I just take a look myself :mrgreen:
Yes, that's the dam. It will one day fail in a flood event and allow sediment to migrate over some freshwater mussel beds which is one of the reasons it is being removed. The other is that Raritan Headwaters Association owns it, and they don't need a decrepit dam messing up a river they watch over and protect. We begin removal next week with mobilization starting tomorrow. I'll post pix here.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Razorbacker
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:42 pm

Re: Ok it's cool enough , we can officially talk about trout again

Post by Razorbacker » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:19 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:07 am
coaltrout wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:54 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:20 pm

AFTER I do the Burnt Mills dam removal project, of course :D :D
Are you talking about the old dam that has been just sitting around and letting water run around it and eating the bank? I havent been to that part of the lamington since spring. How is the progress on it? Or Should I just take a look myself :mrgreen:
Yes, that's the dam. It will one day fail in a flood event and allow sediment to migrate over some freshwater mussel beds which is one of the reasons it is being removed. The other is that Raritan Headwaters Association owns it, and they don't need a decrepit dam messing up a river they watch over and protect. We begin removal next week with mobilization starting tomorrow. I'll post pix here.
Looking forward to seeing the results! that is a pretty good smallie stretch through there... nothing big but good numbers

Post Reply