Wader recomendations

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Rusty Spinner

Re: Wader recomendations

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:42 am

coaltrout wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:27 am
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am

I'm not sure any company manufactures a decent bootfoot wader. They are all 100% crap IMO. There is a reason that they are cheap and nobody except the most casual angler buys them in the last 20 + years. Go stocking foot with wading boots and all that uncomfortableness will be gone and the rubber boots won't dry out and crack.
I see. I think my next pair will be stocking foot. Never even tried one before. Curious to see the difference. Ive had good luck with rubber boots other than that last pair which I left in a garage all summer, and the garage would always be a lot hotter than the actual house temp.
Any specific boots and waders you recommend, Rusty? Ill take note for future purchase
I'm partial to Simms myself, but you have to realize that I don't pay for them (business expense). But the Reddington line is excellent for a good price point as well. So are others, but these are the two I know best.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:44 am

robtf wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:15 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am
coaltrout wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:49 pm
My last pair got cracks in the rubber boots. No matter what I did with shoe glue / shoe gloo it wouldn't stop leaks.

What I did, because they were small leaks, was were heavy duty trash bags over my pants, then slipped my legs into the waders. The cold water would never get to my wool socks/sweat pants and I stayed dry (other than my sweat) The cold water would chill just a bit through the trash bags but nothing bad.

I got a new pair now and do the same just in case I get a random leak while fishing. It also makes getting them off and on a lot easier as the trash bags are smooth and reduce friction. Similarly some waders would bother me around the ankles/calves due to friction (loose pair) and the trash bags helped with friction there too.

So I too will settle on cheap neoprene waders. I know how to patch small pin holes with shoo gloo. Seam leaks are tough tho but that only happened on this old pair my friend gave me.
I'm not sure any company manufactures a decent bootfoot wader. They are all 100% crap IMO. There is a reason that they are cheap and nobody except the most casual angler buys them in the last 20 + years. Go stocking foot with wading boots and all that uncomfortableness will be gone and the rubber boots won't dry out and crack.
which drives me nuts, as I've yet to find a way to *really* keep sand out of my boots for stocking foot waders, all yuz who claim otherwise be damned ! :D
I have an inexpensive pair of Frogg Togg bootfoot waders I use for the salt beach trips these days. I agree that most bootfoots suck, but it beats having to dump sand out of your boot several times when fishing the beach. And since I'm walking in soft sand, I don't worry about the lack of ankle support from bootfoots. Wading boots over stockingfoot waders are always the best way to protect your ankles in rivers. They are basically hiking boots made for standing in water. But walking the beaches doesn't require that much ankle support.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

cappy

Post by cappy » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:38 pm

I purchased Chota Hippies, the heavy duty Tundra model. Highly recommend.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France