Flying Ants

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
lightenup

Flying Ants

Post by lightenup » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:47 pm

Yuge flying ant hatch on the SBR on Monday..water temp peaked at 65...I caught a few smallies and a sunny as I didn't have a good flying ant pattern. I used a black x-caddis, the trout refused it, the small mouth and sunnies loved it...anyone have a good flying ant pattern?

Rusty Spinner

Re: Flying Ants

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:01 am

lightenup wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:47 pm
Yuge flying ant hatch on the SBR on Monday..water temp peaked at 65...I caught a few smallies and a sunny as I didn't have a good flying ant pattern. I used a black x-caddis, the trout refused it, the small mouth and sunnies loved it...anyone have a good flying ant pattern?
Just use a black ant pattern and don't worry about the wings which they don't see nearly as well as the body. We get two or three flying ant hatches every year here in the upper SBR area, and the fishing is good when temps are cool enough as they are now.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:26 am

Red Ant /Cinnamon Ants seem to be on the menu lately , I use just a simple fur body, a turn of Hackle and a piece of medallion sheeting , or a stiff cellophane tied in down wing style .
Best full on hatch I've ever seen in the KLG is red flying ants .

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:21 pm

Yep, I put on the old black ant with the turn of hackle, everything refused it, they seemed to key on the fat body and the wing...The x-caddis had the black thin body and the wing, it got the most attention. The trout would rise quickly and turn after close inspection, the smallies and sunnies inhaled it when they saw it. I'll just tie the fur body and put a nice deer hair or CDC wing on it, or the sheeting, Thanks Jay..Thanks...I even tried a sunken ant...NOPE! :D