nj brookies... ever again?

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Rusty Spinner

Re: nj brookies... ever again?

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:14 am

BillSmith wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:52 pm
So they order take out for LasndLocked, so 3 lakes can benefit. Why not order Brown trout instead so the WHOLE STATE can benefit, oh yeah, that make too much sense.
The reason NJ gets landlocked salmon from Massachusetts is because we used to supply them with brown trout eggs. Although we no longer supply them with brown trout eggs, we still get the salmon for our 3 lake program. So Massachusetts cannot supply us with brown trout because they have to bring those in to their state from other states.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Dave B.

Post by Dave B. » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:52 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:14 am
BillSmith wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:52 pm
So they order take out for LasndLocked, so 3 lakes can benefit. Why not order Brown trout instead so the WHOLE STATE can benefit, oh yeah, that make too much sense.
The reason NJ gets landlocked salmon from Massachusetts is because we used to supply them with brown trout eggs. Although we no longer supply them with brown trout eggs, we still get the salmon for our 3 lake program. So Massachusetts cannot supply us with brown trout because they have to bring those in to their state from other states.
We also still supply Massachusetts with northern pike from Hackettestown, which is a part of the ongoing fish trade. But then Andy knows all of this, he just likes to stir the pot and make adolescent comments from time to time.

Castaline

Post by Castaline » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:57 am

The thing I miss the most was the fact it seems the browns are more likely to rise to dries and were stocked later when there seems to be better hatches. Maybe a slightly higher tolerance to warmer water as science says and thus maybe higher holdover potential in many rivers without any natural production.

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:06 am

Working for Rutgers/State has shows how slooowww any project can be! The hatchery isnt immune to these issues and while run by competent scientists will still be bogged down by red tape. The state "lowest bidder" system is also terrible and can really hinder a project.

Another big point to remember in regards to the hatchery and what they stock is that we, the mostly C&R, conservation minded, TU members, forum posters etc... Are the MINORITY! The MAJORITY of anglers in the state want to fish the first few weeks after stocking, bring home their 6 trout a day and put the rod back in the corner of the garage until next April. The state stocks and produces trout to fill that need of a put and take fishery. While we may be vocal we are still the minority.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

BillSmith

Post by BillSmith » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:31 pm

If you went to ANY of the meetings offered by the State you would know that 60% of trout fishermen practice e C&R while only 40% actually catch and keep. I think those numbers came out in all the surveys.

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:26 am

60% is a bigger number than I thought ,( guess I didn't do the required reading either)but of of that 60% , how many properly release those fish ? Or release those fish when the water temps are 70°f and above ? Or aren't taking a load of pictures while theyer catch is out of the water while they set up a tripod . Obviously the catch and release has come a long way , now it's just doing it right .

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:06 am

BillSmith wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:31 pm
If you went to ANY of the meetings offered by the State you would know that 60% of trout fishermen practice e C&R while only 40% actually catch and keep. I think those numbers came out in all the surveys.
there must be some bias with those surveys. Maybe the anglers volunteering to do a survey are more likely to be CnR. From my perspective during spring, most of people trout fishing are keeping trout.

I mean i wont be surprised if you told me there's a lot of CnR anglers, im already aware, but there's a TON of people who like to keep their catches. Np there. Just that I feellike that 40/60% thing is not correct in reality

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:05 am

coaltrout wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:06 am
BillSmith wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:31 pm
there must be some bias with those surveys. Maybe the anglers volunteering to do a survey are more likely to be CnR. From my perspective during spring, most of people trout fishing are keeping trout.

I mean i wont be surprised if you told me there's a lot of CnR anglers, im already aware, but there's a TON of people who like to keep their catches. Np there. Just that I feellike that 40/60% thing is not correct in reality
I would assume you are correct as well. "Squeaky wheel gets the grease" applies here. The C&R anglers are then ones who care more about conservation and and are more likely to complete said surveys. Also, in reply to BillSmith, those meetings will be attended by only the conservation minded anglers so while I still firmly beleive that group is the minority, they are the most vocal.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

BillSmith

Post by BillSmith » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:15 pm

When will Fish and Wildlife restore stocking of Brown (and/or Brook) Trout?

This may be the most frequently asked question in recent years. Brown trout will be reintroduced to the Pequest Hatchery once the raceways are covered. Although there are select strains of brown trout that are resistant to furunculosis — the disease that necessitated euthanizing nearly 230,000 trout at Pequest — it’s important to know that other pathogens also pose a potential fish health threat. Covering the raceways is the best protection we can provide for the hatchery’s valuable fish stock. Covers prevent pathogens from being introduced by birds that regularly prey on raceway trout despite the numerous deterrent devices already in place. There are no plans to bring back brook trout. However, in the future, Fish and Wildlife may investigate other trout strains to provide a diverse fishing experience for our coldwater anglers.