Who Uses a Net?

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!

Do you use a net?

Yes, Always
60%
Sometimes
16%
No
20%
Grab 'em by the gills
4%

Total votes: 25

Twism86

Who Uses a Net?

Post by Twism86 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:23 pm

Since the netting thread is evolving into a new thread about nets, how often do you use a net for trout? If you do or dont what is your reasoning behind it?
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

barkeater

Re: Who Uses a Net?

Post by barkeater » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:52 pm

I use a net fly fishing all the time unless I catch a wild trout which is to small for the net. I catch and release 100% of my trout and the net allows me to keep the fish in the water with as little trauma as possible.

SBRtool

Post by SBRtool » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:28 pm

Always have the net with me and almost always use it cause I feel like its easier on the fish to net it and leave it submerged while I remove the hook even if its small. I feel like its critical to use on much bigger trout because I use light tackle and feel like the quicker I can get it in the net and safely released the better instead of really having to tire out a fish so I can grab it with my hands.

justin.czu

Post by justin.czu » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:55 pm

I always use a net. I find it is easier to safely remove the hook without harming the fish. It also allows me to keep the fish in the water while I take my phone out so I can take a quick picture (which I'd say I do about 90% of the time just for fun).

cappy

Post by cappy » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:43 pm

I always use a net, safest way to land and release Trout regardless of size, barbless hooks help also. I have a few of various sizes to fit the trout I'm after. I would like to resurrect my original small creek net, hence my netting post.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:16 pm

I checked "always", but the other day I forgot and my buddy Jim Holland netted my fish for me :D

Ever since the ghost mesh nets became available, I have used them more frequently than I did the old nylon nets. Now the fish are fine while you remove the hook and take photos. Just keep their noses pointed into the current and all is fine until you release them.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:36 pm

I bring one whenever I can. Keep mine in my car.
Ive been using the same orange kayak net ive found on the banks of the raritan for more than a year now.
It's big, floats, use it sometimes to deflect thorns from my waders while walking through the bush.
My friends often commend me for my spectacular netting skills, but it's just the fact that it's wide and I cant miss the scoop. :mrgreen:
I find a net essential, makes pictures quicker and easier too. Makes the chances of losing a fish at your feet practically 0.
FInd a way to clip it to your belt and there's hardly any reason not to bring one.

garden hackle

Post by garden hackle » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:37 pm

I look to travel light, unless I am fishing salmon or steelhead, I usually leave the net behind.
Public Service Announcement: Sometimes KARMA is best served cold!

Once a box salesman, always a box salesman, and he still cannot think outside of the box!

barkeater

Post by barkeater » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:08 pm

Ive been using the same orange kayak net ive found on the banks of the raritan for more than a year now.
Hey, I want my net back. :lol:

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:30 am

barkeater wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:08 pm
Hey, I want my net back. :lol:
finders keepers!

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:23 pm

I use net on big rivers. This reminds me does anyone have a recommendation for a small wts net. Easy to carry.

Bob J

Post by Bob J » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:41 am

Yes - always bring a net. If you are catching and releasing it is a must. (Rubber mesh only)

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:27 am

Agreed always have the net .... Sure I get it you don't need it for small trout , but practice on the small ones so you don't screw up the big ones . .... And it's one this to screw up your own fish , but no one wants to be the guy who screws up the net job on theyer buddy's trophy fish .

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:12 am

I only got a net after I got my *gasp* tenkara rod. I had John AKA Riversong Nets build me a custom one with a longer handler. This makes landing a fish when you dont have a reel much, much easier. I use it more and more lately when not fishing with the tenkara rod, which isnt often anymore, as the longer handle lets you get to the fish much quicker. I only chose 'sometimes' as when im at a small WTS I still tend to leave the net behind.

When I went steelhead fishing more often I never used a net for the fact that I was mostly fishing alone and any net large enough for steelies was too bulky to carry. Not to mention that netting a steelie solo is a huge PITA. For them, a fish tailing glove is my go to.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:09 pm

Only on the BIG rivers....ie.deleware, east,west branch

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:32 pm

barkeater wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:52 pm
I use a net fly fishing all the time unless I catch a wild trout which is to small for the net. I catch and release 100% of my trout and the net allows me to keep the fish in the water with as little trauma as possible.
exactly the same for me.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:37 pm

joe_panella wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:23 pm
I use net on big rivers. This reminds me does anyone have a recommendation for a small wts net. Easy to carry.
I had a small Brodin net, I bought it at Shannon's a while back, it was a great small net, but got broken iin my luggage on a Montana trip...it was too small for some of the Montana fish, but I can't land them anyway;) It now hangs in a cabin on the upper Madison, broken and all, unless the owners took it down.
I believe it is marketed as the Phantom net. The smallest one.

SRT

Post by SRT » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:12 pm

I never bring a net, I fish mostly small WTS, use barbless hooks, and almost never handle the fish, just a quick twist of the fly and the fish is gone.

garden hackle

Post by garden hackle » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:26 am

To carry a net is to dream you might catch a fish.
Public Service Announcement: Sometimes KARMA is best served cold!

Once a box salesman, always a box salesman, and he still cannot think outside of the box!