Coorelation of temps and bite in winter

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
coaltrout

Coorelation of temps and bite in winter

Post by coaltrout » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:41 am

Recent trips showed success with temps around >40 and sunshine, and failures where it would be warm the previous day then a drop in temperature, along with full clouds.
I noticed this too last year.

What are all of your observations on these conditions around winter time?

Rusty Spinner

Re: Coorelation of temps and bite in winter

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:51 am

Being cold blooded, trout will obviously slow their metabolisms further when temps drop. In winter, the sun is your friend as it warms the water slightly. You can certainly catch plenty on a cloudy day, providing air temps aren't dropping at the time. But knowing that they are already not feeding much due to temps, a drop only shuts down the bite further.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

justin.czu

Post by justin.czu » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:13 pm

I went fishing out on Sunday when it was 37 degrees, cloudy, and very windy. I did not get a single bite the entire day.

I definitely agree with you coaltrout; I see much more success with temps around >40 and sunshine

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:21 pm

Good insight, Rusty.
justin.czu wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:13 pm
I went fishing out on Sunday when it was 37 degrees, cloudy, and very windy. I did not get a single bite the entire day.

I definitely agree with you coaltrout; I see much more success with temps around >40 and sunshine
Same, but my friend and I got two hits / 1 landed fish in the first 30 minutes of fishing, then the next 6 hours, nothing. It seemed like we entered the stream right when the trout were finishing up, perhaps still excited to play with the temps from saturday.

Good news is that we explored a new creek and found the good holes. :geek:

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:51 pm

Anytime of yr it's best with a steady weather pattern....winter even more so....if we ever stay in the winter season and temps the trout will settle w those colder water temps and all you'll need is a day above frzing to get em goin....although ur presentation will have to slow down accordingly......
I love the solitude of winter fishing