WTS 1/30

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Jaybird
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:23 am

Re: WTS 1/30

Post by Jaybird » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:15 pm

lightenup wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:20 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:52 pm
joe_panella wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:11 pm
Fly fishing is about much more than catching fish, and bragging about the size of them.
"What Joe said. Every fly angler knows he/she can catch more using spin gear. Every one of us.

That depends on the conditions..if there is a hatch going on and fish are on the bugs, not even power bait will catch them..well sometimes, but I guarantee, I will catch more on the bugs hatching than any spin set-up...everytime.
That ain't wrong , But what do I know

User avatar
BiggerThomas
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:44 pm
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Re: WTS 1/30

Post by BiggerThomas » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:09 am

coaltrout wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:29 am
BiggerThomas wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:39 am
One of the old members of this board, Bill H, used to buy the crappiest equipment he could find. He wanted none of the advantages new or cutting-edge equipment could offer an angler; if he caught trout (and he usually did), it was all him.
Is there a big difference between cutting edge vs crap? I find some of the vintage spinning reels to be the same only that they click while reeling because of how anti reverse works, and a lower gear ratio.
Some vintage stuff is better than new stuff imo...Bill H used to go after cheap stuff...
Every Night & every Morn
Some to Misery are Born
Every Morn and every Night
Some are Born to sweet delight
Some are Born to sweet delight
Some are Born to Endless Night
___________________________
--William Blake, "Auguries of Innocence"

User avatar
BiggerThomas
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:44 pm
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Re: WTS 1/30

Post by BiggerThomas » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:09 am

Jaybird wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:15 pm
lightenup wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:20 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:52 pm



That depends on the conditions..if there is a hatch going on and fish are on the bugs, not even power bait will catch them..well sometimes, but I guarantee, I will catch more on the bugs hatching than any spin set-up...everytime.
That ain't wrong , But what do I know
Do I sense a "fish-off" brewing? :lol: :lol: :lol: Loser buys a round for all spectators :D
Every Night & every Morn
Some to Misery are Born
Every Morn and every Night
Some are Born to sweet delight
Some are Born to sweet delight
Some are Born to Endless Night
___________________________
--William Blake, "Auguries of Innocence"

joe_panella
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:08 pm

Re: WTS 1/30

Post by joe_panella » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:06 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:09 am
coaltrout wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:29 am
BiggerThomas wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:39 am
One of the old members of this board, Bill H, used to buy the crappiest equipment he could find. He wanted none of the advantages new or cutting-edge equipment could offer an angler; if he caught trout (and he usually did), it was all him.
Is there a big difference between cutting edge vs crap? I find some of the vintage spinning reels to be the same only that they click while reeling because of how anti reverse works, and a lower gear ratio.
Some vintage stuff is better than new stuff imo...Bill H used to go after cheap stuff...
I doubt they have made better all around trout rods than the original sage light lines and Winston im6. Hardy perfects are just that, the perfect trout reel until you need drag.

User avatar
lightenup
Posts: 320
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: WTS 1/30

Post by lightenup » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:27 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:09 am
Jaybird wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:15 pm
lightenup wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:20 pm

That ain't wrong , But what do I know
Do I sense a "fish-off" brewing? :lol: :lol: :lol: Loser buys a round for all spectators :D
Hell no, fishing isn't a competition, "I'm not on the river to win" a quote by Keith Rutherford.

Jaybird
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:23 am

Re: WTS 1/30

Post by Jaybird » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:04 pm

joe_panella wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:06 am
BiggerThomas wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:09 am
coaltrout wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:29 am


Is there a big difference between cutting edge vs crap? I find some of the vintage spinning reels to be the same only that they click while reeling because of how anti reverse works, and a lower gear ratio.
Some vintage stuff is better than new stuff imo...Bill H used to go after cheap stuff...
I doubt they have made better all around trout rods than the original sage light lines and Winston im6. Hardy perfects are just that, the perfect trout reel until you need drag.
Totally agree , except it's nice having a good large arbor reel that pics up line . But the LL and Im6 are classic

Post Reply