Access question

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
PortMurrayAng

Re: Access question

Post by PortMurrayAng » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:56 pm

Thanks Rusty. That's what I always thought. I posted the signs along part of the musky and got into a conversation with a guy about it. Just wanted to be clear (and right) ;)

"No. In NJ, the landowners own the bottom of the river's bed, so you cannot trespass. It is not the same as wading the West Branch in NY/PA, for example, where everything below high water mark is okay to wade."

Thanks for the new vocab word: thalweg. Sounds old or middle English - or middle earth. I'll look it up in the ol' OED.

"Use this site to determine legal ownership. Unless otherwise deed stated, the owners will own "to the thread of the thalweg" which is not mid-point of the river at all times. The thalweg is the deepest part of the channel and it meanders within a river's banks side to side."
[/quote]

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:04 pm

I have fished on many posted private property rivers & lakes without issue. Just be courteous & ask. I usually just go to the house & knock. Ask for permission. I tell them I'm a C&R angler. I just wanted to see if I can get your permission. 90% of the time they say no problem. Dont litter & destroy their property. Heck there no guy I know on the low Musky behind a dam that I bring a 6 pack to in the summer every time I fish there. Just be respectful & dont try to get over
Was known as Troutman1

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:04 pm

Troutman wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:04 pm
I have fished on many posted private property rivers & lakes without issue. Just be courteous & ask. I usually just go to the house & knock. Ask for permission. I tell them I'm a C&R angler. I just wanted to see if I can get your permission. 90% of the time they say no problem. Dont litter & destroy their property. Heck there no guy I know on the low Musky behind a dam that I bring a 6 pack to in the summer every time I fish there. Just be respectful & dont try to get over
Good old common sense in action--nice job Troutman.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:26 pm

Troutman wrote:
dude I can hardly walk 50 feet from the stocking points off bridges, you expect me to walk another 80 feet to someone's front door? :mrgreen: geez!

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:04 pm

coaltrout wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:26 pm
Troutman wrote:
dude I can hardly walk 50 feet from the stocking points off bridges, you expect me to walk another 80 feet to someone's front door? :mrgreen: geez!
:lol: :lol: :lol: . I cant fish @ those dump points. Im afraid of those bucket boys snagging my waders :o :o
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:08 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:04 pm
Troutman wrote:
Good old common sense in action--nice job Troutman.
Thx. But its only common sense or courtesy....I dont get people sometimes
Was known as Troutman1

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:25 am

Troutman wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:04 pm
coaltrout wrote:
Troutman wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: . I cant fish @ those dump points. Im afraid of those bucket boys snagging my waders :o :o
That's why I have a chainmail layer around my waders :geek:

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:42 am

coaltrout wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:25 am
Troutman wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:04 pm
coaltrout wrote:

That's why I have a chainmail layer around my waders :geek:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:26 am

PortMurrayAng wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:56 pm
Thanks Rusty.
Thanks for the new vocab word: thalweg. Sounds old or middle English - or middle earth. I'll look it up in the ol' OED.
It's a German work loosely translated to "river valley". It is a key word in my work, but a completely unknown word outside of river restoration. All of our designs are about enhancing the thalweg through riffles, runs and pools.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

garden hackle

Post by garden hackle » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:09 pm

And for about $3 you can get poems about Thalwegs from Amazon
8A2DDDD3-FB74-439B-A4AD-27219D14A32E.jpeg
8A2DDDD3-FB74-439B-A4AD-27219D14A32E.jpeg (26.71 KiB) Viewed 9177 times
Public Service Announcement: Sometimes KARMA is best served cold!

Once a box salesman, always a box salesman, and he still cannot think outside of the box!