social distancing on opening day ?

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Troutman

social distancing on opening day ?

Post by Troutman » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:51 pm

I wonder how that social distancing of 6 feet will work out on opening day :roll: :?: :lol: . I wont know of course because I refuse to fish on that day :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

garden hackle

Re: social distancing on opening day ?

Post by garden hackle » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:27 am

I have not fished an opening day in several decades.
Public Service Announcement: Sometimes KARMA is best served cold!

Once a box salesman, always a box salesman, and he still cannot think outside of the box!

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:44 am

finally some extra space. Less ppl will get the virus AND less ppl will end up hooked on back cast :mrgreen:

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:31 am

is the stocking schedule still going forward as planned??

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:45 am

Actually the stocking has started earlier than scheduled and those streams and lakes can be fished until 3/23. The list is on the F+W website.

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:25 am

Go out to your favorite crowded spot, start coughing up a lung and complain of a fever and within seconds you will have the place to yourself!! :lol: :lol:
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:29 am

There are a sh*t ton of fresh, finless stockies in the rivers already since they had to start early. Nobody is out targeting them. All are bridge dumps because the Division cancelled volunteer stocking for now. All waters open through this Sunday. Then only special regs waters on a C&R basis only.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:01 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:29 am
There are a sh*t ton of fresh, finless stockies in the rivers already since they had to start early. Nobody is out targeting them. All are bridge dumps because the Division cancelled volunteer stocking for now. All waters open through this Sunday. Then only special regs waters on a C&R basis only.
turned out to be a good idea with how much rain we just got yesterday. spread'em!

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:50 pm

coaltrout wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:01 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
turned out to be a good idea with how much rain we just got yesterday. spread'em!
Agreed. Make the best of a bad situation. Fortunately, we know that the majority of stocked trout head downstream. So stocking early from bridges won't be so bad by opening day for those that focus on the opener out of tradition. I'll likely be in the bow of a drift boat on the upper D that day, far away from the mutants (anglers AND trout) :lol:

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:21 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:50 pm
coaltrout wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:01 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Agreed. Make the best of a bad situation. Fortunately, we know that the majority of stocked trout head downstream. So stocking early from bridges won't be so bad by opening day for those that focus on the opener out of tradition. I'll likely be in the bow of a drift boat on the upper D that day, far away from the mutants (anglers AND trout) :lol:
i got one in late april, sweet water guide service :mrgreen:

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:31 am

i got one in late april, sweet water guide service :mrgreen:
[/quote]

That dude is talented as heck..... He will put you on top of the fish........
Was known as Troutman1

billfish3r

Post by billfish3r » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:18 am

coaltrout wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:44 am
finally some extra space. Less ppl will get the virus AND less ppl will end up hooked on back cast :mrgreen:
hopefully less people! Shoulder to shoulder opening day is no bueno

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:56 am

Opening day? I drive around with a passenger seat full of rocks and an open sunroof...watching fat old men try to chase you in waders is amusing...especially the neoprene booty ones. ;)

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:06 am

Opening Day ???? I think your confused this is End of Days .... Lol... A little gallows humor stay virus free everyone , and be respectful of others . Let's get through this in time for Sulphers

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:10 am

If I go out opening day it is usually for brookies. If it is warm I may hit a non stocked section of the pequannok. Either way I don't plan on seeing anyone.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:54 am

lightenup wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:56 am
Opening day? I drive around with a passenger seat full of rocks and an open sunroof...watching fat old men try to chase you in waders is amusing...especially the neoprene booty ones. ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:02 pm

We are about to hear that the Division and the F&G Council have opened waters to trout fishing as soon as they make the announcement. The idea is to reduce the opening day crowds. Sounds like Catch & Release only until 4/11 which was the original "opener" and then up to six trout per regulations after 4/11 until June 1 or whenever it reverts back to 4 fish.

martalus

Post by martalus » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:39 pm

That sounds reasonable. Virginia is doing a similar thing for spring trout stocking-they are not announcing specific days when stocking will happen to avoid crowds. Maryland on the other hand has said they are 'cancelling' trout stock this spring, which begs the question-what the heck are they going to do with millions of trout in the hatchery raceways??

NJAngler

Post by NJAngler » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:26 pm

Many are NOT social distancing outside. I see most trailhead parking lots full like in the DWGNRA, Hacklebarney and numerous trails in Sussex, Morris and Warren. I'm afraid all these idiots will lead to all parks being closed which means we cant fish. You cant exactly distance yourself along Dunnfield trail when you have 45 degree hillside on one side and a steep ravine on the other. Go hike elsewhere. There are hundreds of empty trails.