Introductions!

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
229oz

Re: Introductions!

Post by 229oz » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:48 am

I am Big Daddy Jimmy.
I am the Newly ordained Minister of Discipline and the President of Hacklebarney TU.
I walk in the footsteps of giants in this sport.
I fish, therefore I am, yet I need to fish better and smarter.

Mbende

Post by Mbende » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:25 pm

I’m Matt B. I started fly-fishing when I was 15. I love fishing for anything that swims fresh or salt. Got sidetracked with a career and family. Retired 2 years ago And have rediscovered my love for all things fishing. My kids have now started to really show an interest so I’m going to get them started this year. I lived in Branchburg so I have fished north and south branch. Love KLG. Glad that GST is back up. Tight lines

barkeater

Post by barkeater » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:44 pm

I'm glad the forum is back. I go by "barkeater". I'm from Monmouth County and belong to Jersey Shore Chapter of TU. I was on the JSTU board for the last 4 years but am taking a break from board duty currently. I enjoy fly fishing and am a C&R person

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:13 pm

You probably have read some of my idiotic posts on another forum. I promise to behave here....I live in Glen Gardner NJ, have been fishing since I was young, fly fishing for about 10 years, I tie mediocre flies that can catch fish and fish all year round, mostly in the KLG and a little crick by my house..but sometimes I get to travel to troutland out west. I work odd hours and miss a lot of evening hatches...but it also means I get to fish when all of you are working, minus the retirees. I have probably inadvertently met some of you in the area, I know I have met TWISM a couple times, the others I haven't figured out yet. So, if you're on the stream and see me, please say hello, I am a pleasant fellow, mostly. Look for the guy with the Fishpond hip pack, with a basket net attached in the back of the pack.....never seen another rig like it in NJ, so you'll be able to tell....oh, and wait for me to cast, if you giggle a little, it's me. :D

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:10 am

Don't behave too much, don't want this place to be too bland! Thanks everyone for coming back!
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Biloutback

Post by Biloutback » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:18 am

Can't believe I posting and not fishing right now.i was a little fat kid from Rahway who grew up fishing the mighty Rahway ,Milton Lake and the Flatbrook. Do it all now fresh salt fly surf ! Favorite streams are the SBR, Muskie, Pequest, and the Delaware from Worthington up to Hancock. Don't get up ther as much as I'd like too to many distractions with the nearby coastal rivers inlets and beaches near me. I'm not a fly snob even though it's my preferred method to fish. And will think nothing of drowning angreen crab for black fish or snagging a bunker for a striper. Did the offshore thing for years except getting older and don't like fighting a fish that can beat the crap out of me anymore.
Glad to see the board back up - not sure if I'll contribute much in posts - but will check in from time to time. I got sucked back into trour fishing about 6 years ago after a local expert put on a clinic Euro nymphing on the SBR , never saw anything like that before was totally amazed! Especially since I was there all day and couldn't get bit .
Always keep learning and observing. Never too old for new things.

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:37 am

Troutfishing4life here. One of the original memebers of the site. I'm Mike im 28 and live in morris county. I fish, hunt and golf

MR.MCR

Post by MR.MCR » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:03 pm

troutfishing4life wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:37 am
Troutfishing4life here. One of the original memebers of the site. I'm Mike im 28 and live in morris county. I fish, hunt and golf
So you have a gun and a fly rod in your golf bag.......
www.estatesalesbyolga.com 908 272 4857 WE CONDUCT ESTATE SALES WE BUY AND SELL ANTIQUES AND VINTAGE ITEMS

908 868 8236 MIKE

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:06 pm

Hi all. Doug B., now from Pottersville as of this past Christmas. I grew up in Arkansas (hence the moniker, Go Hogs WPS!) trout fishing on the Little Red and White Rivers, and later on the Conejos River in CO during the summers when I was a teen. I moved to NJ to finish college, met my wife and never left. I am 54 now. Two of my 3 daughters love to fish, so not too bad. When I moved to NJ, my first exposure to NJ trout fishing were my worm-dunking buddies who took me to the Muskie in Hackettown behind Golden Skillet. Yeah, no thanks I thought. I got into striper fishing around then which kept me busy for years. It was not until maybe 10 years ago after we had moved to Randolph that I discovered all of the beautiful wild trout waters this state has to offer. I fish the SBR in Long valley and Flanders regularly, and the Black as well, which actually has some great wild trout areas if you know where to look. Now that I can literally walk out my backdoor and into the Lamington, hopefully I will find some nice surprises in my own back yard as well. I also love Big D smallies.

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:40 pm

I don't have a very creative handle so you all have always known my name. I am 41 and have a 4 and 1 year old so my fishing has declined quite a bit in recent years. I also manage the biggest internet peering facility in NJ so i work alot as well. I am moving to Smoke Rise in Kinnelon on May 16 so i should be able to duck into the Pequannock WTS just outside our gates which should get me on the water a little more often. I have gotten the bamboo bug in recent years and have spent more money than one should who barely has time to fish. I guess since i will have to outfit my boys and myself it will be money well spent. I usually fish by myself but a few guys know me, I have helped Rusty Spinner a few times with his work on the Musky, and consider him one of the best things that has happened to trout fishing in the state.

HooliganTroutBum

Post by HooliganTroutBum » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:12 am

Greetings again.

Was very active on here in the beginning and out in the streams. Social media, when it was less of a cesspool, lured me out of here, but now I come back here as a married man and as of last November, a father.

Have been trying to carve out some time to fish, lately, and intend to get it up to, at least, 2 hands worth of fishing outings. Last year, it was 2 fingers worth (Point Mountain and the Lackawanna). Hope there'll be enough rain to keep the flows up and the summer not so aggressive in the heat dept.

I have fished with most of you on here and look to do so, again.

Cheers.
Hooli

Flyzlo

Post by Flyzlo » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:04 am

Username Flyzlo comes from a set of custom tags I had for a hot rod. I live in Hunterdon County, have a wife & 3 grown kids who all fish. I've been fly fishing since early 70's. I'll fish anywhere it's wet, including salt, warm water, alpine or a desert culvert, but mostly my "home" water is the Musky, just 10 minutes from home. 95% of my fishing is with the fly rod. Early trout season is usually a couple of spin rod trips to bring a couple home for the pan, after that it's pretty much fly rod C&R. I probably tie too much; I have fished many places in/around North America so my tying bench looks more like an exotic zoo on acid. Always learning and looking to hear of others experiences near and far. More locally, this is a great forum to share precious hatch activity. I love to fish Big Flat, SBR and Big D, but you'll see most of my posts are Musky. This is a great forum. Most of the time .......

Flyzlo

Post by Flyzlo » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:21 am

Biloutback wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:18 am
Can't believe I posting and not fishing right now.i was a little fat kid from Rahway who grew up fishing the mighty Rahway ,Milton Lake and the Flatbrook. Do it all now fresh salt fly surf ! Favorite streams are the SBR, Muskie, Pequest, and the Delaware from Worthington up to Hancock. Don't get up ther as much as I'd like too to many distractions with the nearby coastal rivers inlets and beaches near me. I'm not a fly snob even though it's my preferred method to fish. And will think nothing of drowning angreen crab for black fish or snagging a bunker for a striper. Did the offshore thing for years except getting older and don't like fighting a fish that can beat the crap out of me anymore.
Glad to see the board back up - not sure if I'll contribute much in posts - but will check in from time to time. I got sucked back into trour fishing about 6 years ago after a local expert put on a clinic Euro nymphing on the SBR , never saw anything like that before was totally amazed! Especially since I was there all day and couldn't get bit .
Always keep learning and observing. Never too old for new things.
Hey little fat kid :
Caught my first fish at Milton Lake in 1963! A little bullhead on a stick and string. Watched guys with stringers full of trout on the Rahway from the back seat of Dads Falcon, Dad didn't fish, so I'd just watch in amazement as we drove past. Fifty years later, I still get that same burning feeling whenever I'm heading out.

Baccala

Post by Baccala » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:15 pm

Baccala here. Tim to those who have met me in person. Been here since the beginning, at lest I have both tee shirts. I'm now a floor manager at Ramsey Outdoor in Succasunna so stop in and say hello.
"Go outside!"

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:19 am

Great to see some old, familiar faces! Hooli, your fishing days will come back, but you're in the diaper changing mode for a few years so enjoy it while you can because before you know it, your kid will be working for Bacala and then headed off to college! :)

I'm Brian Cowden, co-owner of Trout Scapes River Restoration LLC out of Bozeman, MT (with a NJ sales office). Currently serving as RVTU chapter president and NJTU state council conservation chair. Sometimes guide for Shannon's after years of being their head guide while I worked full time for Trout Unlimited. Come check out our next public lands project on the Musky above the Musky Trout Hatchery on the WMA lands come mid-June. That's a TU funded project by multiple chapters and staff, led by our Central Jersey TU chapter. I go by "Bucksnbows" on NJ Woods & Waters forum and when I used to post on NJ Hunter forum. I know some of you are hunters as well.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

dinomoso

Post by dinomoso » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:43 am

Hey all, I'm Dean, have visited the website in the past but never registered. I'm a late comer to fishing,never fished as a kid or young man but took it up later in life.
Most of my fishing is for lmb and panfish. I started out shore fishing and discovered kayak fishing around 2003 and have been fishing that way ever since. I retired
last year and want to learn to fly fish, so I'm going to put my fishing time into that. I hope to gain some knowledge and input from some of the guys here and maybe
make some new friends along the way. I spoke to someone the other day about a casting lesson to get me headed in the right direction. That's about it for now, any
suggestions or comments are welcomed. Oh I almost forgot I'm in Morris County,NJ. See ya, Dean

HooliganTroutBum

Post by HooliganTroutBum » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:54 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:19 am
Hooli, your kid will be working for Bacala and then headed off to college! :)
There could be worse things. ;)

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:44 am

Hey hey. Roy B, aka PortMurrayAng, here. Originally from Morristown I have been fishing since I could walk well enough to follow my grandfather to the Whippany River or up to Lake Hopatcong. I started fly fishing in 1992 when I was a sophomore in high school. Now I can usually be found on the Musky (I live in Port Murray near the river) and am up in the Catskills every chance I get. I have fished out West a bit and spent three years fishing in Hokkaido Japan.

I have been a member of RVTU for a number of years now but am less active since my wife and I had kids 5 years ago (5 years today, as a matter of fact). I did fish on the day my twins were born - once the doctor decided the wife and newborns needed some time alone.

Glad the forum is back!

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:14 pm

PortMurrayAng wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:44 am
Hey hey. Roy B, aka PortMurrayAng, here. Originally from Morristown I have been fishing since I could walk well enough to follow my grandfather to the Whippany River or up to Lake Hopatcong. I started fly fishing in 1992 when I was a sophomore in high school. Now I can usually be found on the Musky (I live in Port Murray near the river) and am up in the Catskills every chance I get. I have fished out West a bit and spent three years fishing in Hokkaido Japan.

I have been a member of RVTU for a number of years now but am less active since my wife and I had kids 5 years ago (5 years today, as a matter of fact). I did fish on the day my twins were born - once the doctor decided the wife and newborns needed some time alone.

Glad the forum is back!
I cannot believe the twins are 5! Where does the time go? Then again, I remember when Hooli first met his wife and now they have a kid.....and Mike (TF4L) wasn't driving when we first met, now he's long out of college and getting married this year himself. And he and I will be in the turkey woods together tomorrow morning before most of you even think of waking up to go to work. :)
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:16 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:14 pm
PortMurrayAng wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:44 am

Glad the forum is back!
I cannot believe the twins are 5! Where does the time go? Then again, I remember when Hooli first met his wife and now they have a kid.....and Mike (TF4L) wasn't driving when we first met, now he's long out of college and getting married this year himself. And he and I will be in the turkey woods together tomorrow morning before most of you even think of waking up to go to work. :)
GST's first board started in September 2008. We have been BSing a long time!
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."