Introductions!

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Twism86

Introductions!

Post by Twism86 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:31 pm

Since we are rebooting GST let's start with some quick introductions! Tell us about yourself and what you like about fishing in the great Garden State! I'll get my bio up in a few so someone else can get this rolling!

Tom
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Twism86

Re: Introductions!

Post by Twism86 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:05 pm

Ok. No one stepped up so I will.

I'm Tom, and have been running GST since it's establishment in 2008. While we can't see any of those historical posts now, this forum has a decade long history of great conversation and information. I started Garden State Trout to fill the gap left by the former NJ Trout forum and many members helped give it instant success. GST remained in the forefront of New Jersey based fishing forums for quite some time. Hopefully with its reboot we can all help it gain that notoriety again! I sincerely apologize for its crash last December but my host left my service on a server over 10 years old without updating it.

Moving on! I'm 31 and have been living in NJ most of my life. I have fished pretty much every bit of water I could find north of 195 but at the end of the day I enjoy fishing small streams for wild trout the most. Spin, fly or even the dreaded tenkara I will embrace any method of fishing as long as I get a tug on my line. Nymphing is still probably my favorite method to catch a Trout (sorry Rusty) but it's obviously hard to beat a good dry fly take. I've been known to fish a trout magnet from tenkara but we can let that be for now, along with an appletini I am imfamous for.......

Thank you all for returning to GST and I look forward to the conversations we will have!!

Tom aka Twism

robtf

Post by robtf » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:47 am

hey all.

RobTF here... The user name came from my original stomping grounds where I began trout fishing: Tinton Falls.

Nothing exotic there.

Nowadays, am down in the South Eastern pinelands of NJ, away from most trout fishing (stocked ponds do not count).

So, most of my freshwater fishing is for pickerel, panfish and the occasional LMB.

But I will venture to some streams this year to re-acquaint myself with salmonids, at a minimum the Pequest hatchery strain,
but perhaps will get a trip to some wild trout areas... not sure. Work + Family + Other pursuits still put a damper on non-local
trips.

Saltwater fishing is pretty much limited to spring / fall stripers, plus more targeted Flounder (not called Fluke down here) and Tog fishing.

Not NJ, but I am hoping to finally make it to the Conny out on Long Island this year, may team up with the LI Flyrodders club on one of their outings
as one of my daughters lives around the corner from their meeting house. I hooked up with them at the Somerset show this year.

Tight lines,
Rob
----

living in the land of clammies

MR.MCR

Post by MR.MCR » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:10 pm

Tom said he has fished all the water north of 195 but he forgot to mention he has also swam all the water north of 195............
www.estatesalesbyolga.com 908 272 4857 WE CONDUCT ESTATE SALES WE BUY AND SELL ANTIQUES AND VINTAGE ITEMS

908 868 8236 MIKE

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:36 pm

MR.MCR wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:10 pm
Tom said he has fished all the water north of 195 but he forgot to mention he has also swam all the water north of 195............
I was very good at falling in back in the day!

onemorecast

Post by onemorecast » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:15 pm

Twism86 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:36 pm
MR.MCR wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:10 pm
I was very good at falling in back in the day!
Falling in, falling out, falling on, you were good at falling period. :P

I haven't been around much these days. I am Jessica, from the old guard in the njtrout.com days. Learned to fish on the SBR and fished the Jersey streams avidly for a while until I became a dry fly snob and found it more convenient to hit hatches closer to home. Now I fish the streams near me in PA and the Upper Delaware. I can't promise I will be posting all that much but I'll drop in from time to time.

P.S. Are we supposed to be top-posting or bottom-posting these days?

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:20 pm

onemorecast wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:15 pm
P.S. Are we supposed to be top-posting or bottom-posting these days?
I still prefer the classic way were the newest posts are at the last ones but you can change that preference yourself in the User Control Panel.

abitskrewd

Post by abitskrewd » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:38 pm

i guess i will join in on the fun
i'm bob (abitskrewd). i was a lurker on the old board and have been on other boards (Stripers Online, North East Fly Fishing, Spey Pages, Etc) for sometime. i vary between being a very active member to falling off the face of the earth at times.
currently i live in Monmouth County and have my ease of access to the striper coast. i still frequent the streams of northern NJ but continue to be turned the angling pressure. i prefer to take the longer rides and fish the Upper Delaware System as well as the Battenkill for trout. i plan on putting some oar time in this season, but we will see how that pans out.
i learned to fly fish on what is now the Clairmont Stretch of the SBR back in the late 80's and have been tying and fishing since.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:30 pm

He also surfs ice bergs, this guy is a legend!!!!

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:44 pm

Mike B here from Central NJ - learned to fish for trout with my father in the Mohton area of PA as a kid, continued to fish the Pequest until he moved to Florida. Picked trout fishing back up at 21 fishing the Manasquan & Shark River in Monmouth Country & continue to fish them today. My 20 year old fishes with me and likes the SBR and is going to come with me to the Pequest this year. Want to learn fly fishing and really get it down sooner than later. Its a time issue, not a cost issue.

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:57 pm

I'm me, same as I've always been (yes I'm still all those things all those dudes like KLG called me.......and f'n proud of it). Still practicing the dark art of the cane rod. Still in the last best place in NJ. I'll turn up from time to time on the Musky, Pequest, SBR, Rockaway, unless I'm running a sortie out to the Poconos or hitting the D for bronze trout. If you see me say hi or step aside.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

njcatchrelease

Post by njcatchrelease » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:14 pm

Hello All,

Great to have GST back up and running.
I like all kinds of fishing and fish mostly in northern NJ. I wade fish, kayak fish, surf fish, basically if it swims I try to catch it.

Hope to be an active member of this board,
Alan
Tight Lines

MR.MCR

Post by MR.MCR » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:09 pm

Drossi wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:57 pm
. If you see me say hi or step aside.
Thats pretty funny........
www.estatesalesbyolga.com 908 272 4857 WE CONDUCT ESTATE SALES WE BUY AND SELL ANTIQUES AND VINTAGE ITEMS

908 868 8236 MIKE

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:28 pm

MR.MCR wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:09 pm
Drossi wrote:
Funny?

Funny how?

Am I some sorts clown? Do I amuse you?

WHATS SO F...... FUNNY ABOUT ME?!
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:19 pm

Johnw I've been an early participant on NJTrout, NEFF, and GST. Began fly fishing in the early 1950's. Learned from a friends father who worked at the Newark Evening News and a close friend of the outdoor writer for the paper, Ken Lockwood of gorge fame. Have fished all over NJ and usually make a trip or two to the Catskills each year. My favorite stream is the the Toms River and I've been active for many years float stocking and electro fishing the river. I retired to Pennsylvania 10 years ago and spent many hours fishing the Little Lehigh where if I remember correctly ran across Twism who I'm sure out fished me. Moved back to the Jersey Shore about a year ago mainly because we have 3 grandchildren playing lacrosse in college and high school. Golf and surf fishing have cut into my trout fishing to some degree but I'm still active. Love the Shore, where else can one catch stripers, bluefish and trout in the same day.

TonyM

Post by TonyM » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:14 pm

Hello everyone.

I am new to the Board, but was a lurker on the prior Board. When I was younger I spent a lot of time fresh water fishing and chasing trout up here in NE NJ. Got away from it as I got older due to lack of time but now that I am retired I have slowly been getting back into trout fishing. I still spend most of my time chasing anything that swims in Salt Water.

I am thinking about expanding out into fly fishing and I am looking forward to seeing everyone's posts.

MR.MCR

Post by MR.MCR » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:01 am

Drossi wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:28 pm
MR.MCR wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:09 pm
Drossi wrote:
Funny?

Funny how?

Am I some sorts clown? Do I amuse you?

WHATS SO F...... FUNNY ABOUT ME?!
LOL.......

908 868 8236 MIKE

Vance

Post by Vance » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:35 am

Hi, I go as Bill themailman as I was a mailman for 36 years. First in Ramsey then in Sparta,NJ. I have been fly fishing since I was 14 years old and I am now 81 so you people can figure out how long that’s been. I first started on the Wanaque up by Greenwood Lake then off to BFlatbrook ,Musky etc. Started fishing the Beaverkill when I turned 18. Which was really great as my Aunt had a house trailer.in the flats behindDarbee’s place. Moved to Pa. when I was married and did a lot of fishing the Lacky and did very well with Caddis flies on the Lacky. Now a days I just enjoy getting out even if I don’t catch any thing I just feel good being on some stream fishing and enjoying the outdoors. Well that’s it for now, Bill the mailman

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:48 am

TonyM wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:14 pm
I am thinking about expanding out into fly fishing and I am looking forward to seeing everyone's posts.
Lots of fly fishing knowledge here and even more as old members register and filter in! Getting some lessons through a shop will help shorten that learning curve and finding someone to meet up and with with helps too! Probably a few people here might be willing to show you the ropes one day.

Tom

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:52 am

Bill it seems we are on a similar track, same age and similar number of years fly fishing and probably only a few left who can remember fishing the Beaverkill and rarely ever see any one else fishing. Glad to see you are still going strong.