Introductions!

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Rusty Spinner

Re: Introductions!

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:19 pm

Twism86 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:16 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:14 pm
PortMurrayAng wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:44 am
Hey hey. Roy B, aka PortMurrayAng, here. Originally from Morristown I have been fishing since I could walk well enough to follow my grandfather to the Whippany River or up to Lake Hopatcong. I started fly fishing in 1992 when I was a sophomore in high school. Now I can usually be found on the Musky (I live in Port Murray near the river) and am up in the Catskills every chance I get. I have fished out West a bit and spent three years fishing in Hokkaido Japan.

I have been a member of RVTU for a number of years now but am less active since my wife and I had kids 5 years ago (5 years today, as a matter of fact). I did fish on the day my twins were born - once the doctor decided the wife and newborns needed some time alone.

Glad the forum is back!
I cannot believe the twins are 5! Where does the time go? Then again, I remember when Hooli first met his wife and now they have a kid.....and Mike (TF4L) wasn't driving when we first met, now he's long out of college and getting married this year himself. And he and I will be in the turkey woods together tomorrow morning before most of you even think of waking up to go to work. :)
GST's first board started in September 2008. We have been BSing a long time!
I'm thinking more of even older as in NJ Trout forum which is where we first all met.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:01 pm

Hi, I am NJpatbee. I have been fly fishing for trout for 45 years and fishing for anything that swims for over 58 years. I am a former president of North Jersey TU (FSB Chapter) and I am a fan of the Big Flatbrook, lower Musky, SBR, and a number of small WTS waters. Although we have lost some waters over the last 50 years to development, it is a pleasure to see the current trout program in effect in NJ - the fishing for holdover and wild trout is great! I have fished many of the waters of PA and NY and others throughout the Northeast and West but have taken the time to learn the trout waters of NJ well and spend 90% of my time fishing in NJ for wild trout. I also am not a fly snob and use bunker or chicken necks to trap blue claws at the Jersey Shore for a feast afterwards.

Very glad to see this site get activated again as NJ trout anglers need a place to discuss our sensitive trout environment, talk about our successes and failures and latest flies or lures, and also keep a close watch on our trout waters.

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:26 pm

I am BiggerThomas.

My two sons, ages 7 and 9, cast their first fly line just last weekend. The lines landed in water, not trees ;) .

I am glad the board has returned, and look forward to sharing stories and advice about fishing. Happy to see some old names, and new ones too--

BT
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

HooliganTroutBum

Post by HooliganTroutBum » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:39 pm

Whatever happened to the Jersey Trout Devil? Was he ever unmasked? :?:

MR.MCR

Post by MR.MCR » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:08 pm

HooliganTroutBum wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:39 pm
I was in a parking lot once and he saw my truck, he walked over , shook my hand said Hi and walked away.........it was only later his identity was revealed....if my memory recalls it was in the blue Star shopping plaza in Watchung.......
www.estatesalesbyolga.com 908 272 4857 WE CONDUCT ESTATE SALES WE BUY AND SELL ANTIQUES AND VINTAGE ITEMS

908 868 8236 MIKE

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:55 am

HooliganTroutBum wrote:
Those who know swore never to tell. :?
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:05 am

HooliganTroutBum wrote:
I met him once.... :twisted: Of course he knew who I was but left me in the dark until days later.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

martalus

Post by martalus » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:44 am

Hi All-Martalus here! Happy to see the site up and active again. I was getting the feeling it was in the inter webs grave, so happy to see its resurrection!

I am originally from northern Hunterdon country. First went fishing dad and and twin brother for Mackerel in Bar Harbour Maine when we were three-I still remember the burn in my forearms from hauling mackerels over the pier. I first went trout fishing with my dad and brother when we were about 5 on opening day at Rockaway creek at swimming hole by the old Rothpletz farm (there are still some big trout to be had there, but they are wild browns now, not stockers!) Spent a lot of my childhood looking for trout in small streams around my parents house as well as looking for whatever fish were available in local ponds. Got really into fly fishing in my mid 20s, but now that I moved overseas with the government, I only get to fish for trout once a year or so. I live in Kosovo now, so there are some trout around, but not nearly as many as there should be due to pollution, war, and mismanagement. Will probably lurk on here, but next time I get out for trout, I will surely post about it!

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:27 pm

martalus wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:44 am
Hi All-Martalus here! Happy to see the site up and active again. I was getting the feeling it was in the inter webs grave, so happy to see its resurrection!

I am originally from northern Hunterdon country. First went fishing dad and and twin brother for Mackerel in Bar Harbour Maine when we were three-I still remember the burn in my forearms from hauling mackerels over the pier. I first went trout fishing with my dad and brother when we were about 5 on opening day at Rockaway creek at swimming hole by the old Rothpletz farm (there are still some big trout to be had there, but they are wild browns now, not stockers!) Spent a lot of my childhood looking for trout in small streams around my parents house as well as looking for whatever fish were available in local ponds. Got really into fly fishing in my mid 20s, but now that I moved overseas with the government, I only get to fish for trout once a year or so. I live in Kosovo now, so there are some trout around, but not nearly as many as there should be due to pollution, war, and mismanagement. Will probably lurk on here, but next time I get out for trout, I will surely post about it!
That creek that you shouldn't be talking about on the internet isn't doing so well, the trouts are disappearing. I work in a neighborhood restaurant and know many landowners that have that creek run through their property, some fish some don't, but the word is the trout numbers are significantly down, and I fish it and they are...very disappointing :o

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:12 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:19 pm
Twism86 wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:14 pm

I cannot believe the twins are 5! Where does the time go? Then again, I remember when Hooli first met his wife and now they have a kid.....and Mike (TF4L) wasn't driving when we first met, now he's long out of college and getting married this year himself. And he and I will be in the turkey woods together tomorrow morning before most of you even think of waking up to go to work. :)
I'm thinking more of even older as in NJ Trout forum which is where we first all met.
I started on NJ trout when I was 15 and now am 28 so yes it been a long time. Mainly because Mike(MCR) and Brian(rusty spinner) are just getting old

martalus

Post by martalus » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:25 am

hat creek that you shouldn't be talking about on the internet isn't doing so well, the trouts are disappearing. I work in a neighborhood restaurant and know many landowners that have that creek run through their property, some fish some don't, but the word is the trout numbers are significantly down, and I fish it and they are...very disappointing :o
That's sad to hear. To what do you attribute the decline? Is there some kind of habitat degradation happening? The township is pretty much built out, so no new construction to speak of. I can't think of anything significant on the upper part, but not sure about the lower reaches-maybe around that quarry?. I can't imagine that there has been a large increase in fishing pressure as most is on private property. A few areas have opened up as Greenacres land, but you really have to know where to look. Curious to hear what could be going on.

As recently as two years ago, I was home between tours and took my dad there and we had the best day that I can ever recall there with two in the 14-18 inch range in the same small hole in five minutes.

MR.MCR

Post by MR.MCR » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:08 am

troutfishing4life wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:12 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Twism86 wrote:

I started on NJ trout when I was 15 and now am 28 so yes it been a long time. Mainly because Mike(MCR) and Brian(rusty spinner) are just getting old
Brian's always been old........
www.estatesalesbyolga.com 908 272 4857 WE CONDUCT ESTATE SALES WE BUY AND SELL ANTIQUES AND VINTAGE ITEMS

908 868 8236 MIKE

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:31 pm

martalus wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:25 am
hat creek that you shouldn't be talking about on the internet isn't doing so well, the trouts are disappearing. I work in a neighborhood restaurant and know many landowners that have that creek run through their property, some fish some don't, but the word is the trout numbers are significantly down, and I fish it and they are...very disappointing :o
That's sad to hear. To what do you attribute the decline? Is there some kind of habitat degradation happening? The township is pretty much built out, so no new construction to speak of. I can't think of anything significant on the upper part, but not sure about the lower reaches-maybe around that quarry?. I can't imagine that there has been a large increase in fishing pressure as most is on private property. A few areas have opened up as Greenacres land, but you really have to know where to look. Curious to hear what could be going on.

As recently as two years ago, I was home between tours and took my dad there and we had the best day that I can ever recall there with two in the 14-18 inch range in the same small hole in five minutes.
Not sure, there are still fish there, but a lot fewer. i really can't come up with a reason, but several landowners on the creek, know me and say they see bugs, but no fish, I have been hearing about it for at least a year. One guy walks his land along the creek almost daily and used to enjoy watching the fish, all he sees now is shiners and suckers. this is all upstream of the quarry....so anyone planning a trip there, don't bother.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:54 pm

MR.MCR wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:08 am
troutfishing4life wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:12 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:

Brian's always been old........
If I could get out of this rocker, I'd be kicking both of your a$$es right now! :lol:
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

cappy

Post by cappy » Wed May 02, 2018 10:11 am

cappy here from Morris County. I tried to join multiple times prior to the upgrade, but got no where, happy to be here. Been fishing for longer then I can remember. Fly fishing since the mid 80's. Took a break for way to many years when my daughter got into highly competitive softball which went right up into college, for those that have been there you know how it wraps up your life. Picked it back up last year. Mainly fish the north west NJ streams; going back to NY this season, spent a lot of time in the Roscoe area back in the day.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Bubba Zinetti

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Wed May 30, 2018 9:37 am

Late to the party.
I am Bubba Zinetti. I am an 18 year veteran of NJ, and a long time member of NJTrout. It is nice to be back. My wife and I fish in NJ and we make trips yearly to Ireland and to "Out West" This year we are spending 2 weeks in Colorado. It is nice to have the forum back, Thanks Tom.

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:46 am

Bubba Zinetti wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:37 am
Late to the party.
I am Bubba Zinetti. I am an 18 year veteran of NJ, and a long time member of NJTrout. It is nice to be back. My wife and I fish in NJ and we make trips yearly to Ireland and to "Out West" This year we are spending 2 weeks in Colorado. It is nice to have the forum back, Thanks Tom.
You're welcome and welcome back!
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Madeinuk

Post by Madeinuk » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:38 am

I used to be a regular on the old NJTrout board (shout out to RobTF, MCR, the Martalus twins and JohnW) and seeing that implode was sickening to witness.

10 years on it is time to move on.

I have a 13 year old daughter who will be starting High School in Fall so I haven't fished all that much over the past few years.

Health issues have also conspired to put a crimp in my plans (had lung surgery 8 weeks ago) but looking forward to participating here, rekindling old friendships and forging new ones.

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:02 pm

Oliver it's great to see you back posting again.

martalus

Post by martalus » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:15 am

Welcome back Oliver! I have been overseas in non trout friendly places the last 8 years, so I only get to trout fish every year or so. But when I go, I make it count!