Changes to NJ trout season about to be announced

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
cappy

Re: Changes to NJ trout season about to be announced

Post by cappy » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:21 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:33 am
Johnw wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:51 pm
The beginning of this thread suggested that in season stocking would continue this year except that it will done randomly and stocking day closures will not be in effect. I’ve seen nothing to suggest that all stocking will be completed by April 17th or that the entire season allotments are currently being stocked. Maybe Rusty could clarify for us.
That was their goal. Get all fish out by 4/17.
Thanks Brian - Would you know if a stream has been stocked, it has been fully stocked for the season, or will they be making more than one trip up until 4/17
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:26 pm

cappy wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:21 am
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:33 am
Johnw wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:51 pm
The beginning of this thread suggested that in season stocking would continue this year except that it will done randomly and stocking day closures will not be in effect. I’ve seen nothing to suggest that all stocking will be completed by April 17th or that the entire season allotments are currently being stocked. Maybe Rusty could clarify for us.
That was their goal. Get all fish out by 4/17.
Thanks Brian - Would you know if a stream has been stocked, it has been fully stocked for the season, or will they be making more than one trip up until 4/17
Some streams are done with all stockings and others are still being stocked. But in about a week to a week and a half, all fish for spring will be stocked fully and long before the end of May which would be normal.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:00 pm

@ rusty spinner
Thx for that , was just interesting to see the throat markings....never saw that in jersey before???

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:26 am

More info about trout stocking and State Park closures just posted on Fand W website

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:22 am

For some reason the info under What’s New on the FandW website was taken down. It said all State Parks are closed and listed the waters in those parks were closed to fishing and also indicated that all stocking for the season will be completed by 4/10.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:47 am

https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/trtinfo_spring20.htm#updates

That's the latest, greatest Division news on changes to our trout season.

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:12 pm

I knew I didn’t make it up.

martalus

Post by martalus » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:38 pm

Well, on the bright side, some of those lakes like RV will have an excellent fall season with all those trout in there unmolested now. Or the Lakers will get really big.

cappy

Post by cappy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:39 am

Just my opinion - State should have cut the limit back to three. Way too many greedy people that will fish everyday, take a limit or three because they have time, and clean out a stream in a couple of weeks.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:56 am

cappy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:39 am
Just my opinion - State should have cut the limit back to three. Way too many greedy people that will fish everyday, take a limit or three because they have time, and clean out a stream in a couple of weeks.
The season to keep fish hasn't even opened yet. That's this coming Saturday. I see more and more lockdowns for NJ which means no fishing soon. We just aren't doing enough as a society to shut down this curve fast enough in NJ and NY and a few other places. And stocked trout are like Doritos as the old NJ Trout site was so fond of discussing, the hatchery will make more.

For what little it's worth, I've fished the upper 9 miles of the SBR lately. To date, I have seen exactly one other angler and he went in the opposite direction. No finless stocked rainbows, just wild browns and brookies.