All state and county parks closed!

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Vance

Re: All state and county parks closed!

Post by Vance » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:16 am

Hello, Is the Gorge part of the state or county park system? I have not left the house or my property for the last 30 days. I am now getting stir crazy. How much yard work can you do and how many flies can you tie in 30 days. A lot of flies that for sure. Just for some things to do I stripped all of my caddis flies And saved the hooks then made up new caddis flies. I had about 25 caddis flies that I stripped and did over. As you can see I am BORED. Bill the mailman

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:30 am

kennyp2339 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:20 pm
Hello all, my name is Ken, handle is Kennyp2339, long time lurker, first time poster, and I hate to say that this first post might be against the grain here.
For starters, I lived my whole life in Sussex Co, enlisted in the USCG in the early 2000's, but ended coming back to the county because that's where I feel at home, I tried not to waste me existence in Sussex, I joined the volunteer ambulance squad, along the fire department, I work full time for a major utility co.
I'm so deeply immersed in this virus, it has uprooted my way of life, much like after 9/11 but more so, this virus is ever evolving, seems that you may hit an infected person and have a 70% chance of catching it, to me the risk is not worth the reward. I was so angry when I heard the governor closed down the state parks and county parks, a few of my main fishing holes are located within those boundaries but after the news of the parks being closed, being angry and such, I got a message that hit home; a co-worker of mine unfortunately passed away from the virus, 55 year man who left behind a loving wife and 4 children. Thankfully I was not in direct contact with him, our company already had plans in place for separation and such, but that news really hit home.
I've been an active member of ems for 15 yrs, fire department for 20 yrs, uscg vet 4 yrs, multiple 100 year storms with my utility co for that past 15 yrs, and never felt the least it vulnerable to anything, this virus, pandemic how ever you want to say it, makes me think otherwise.
Sorry to be that guy in the crowd, and sorry again that this is my first post, hopefully I have much lighter and better ones to post in the future.
Welcome to the forum Ken and thank you for your perspective!
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:47 am

kennyp2339 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:20 pm
Hello all, my name is Ken, handle is Kennyp2339, long time lurker, first time poster, and I hate to say that this first post might be against the grain here.
For starters, I lived my whole life in Sussex Co, enlisted in the USCG in the early 2000's, but ended coming back to the county because that's where I feel at home, I tried not to waste me existence in Sussex, I joined the volunteer ambulance squad, along the fire department, I work full time for a major utility co.
I'm so deeply immersed in this virus, it has uprooted my way of life, much like after 9/11 but more so, this virus is ever evolving, seems that you may hit an infected person and have a 70% chance of catching it, to me the risk is not worth the reward. I was so angry when I heard the governor closed down the state parks and county parks, a few of my main fishing holes are located within those boundaries but after the news of the parks being closed, being angry and such, I got a message that hit home; a co-worker of mine unfortunately passed away from the virus, 55 year man who left behind a loving wife and 4 children. Thankfully I was not in direct contact with him, our company already had plans in place for separation and such, but that news really hit home.
I've been an active member of ems for 15 yrs, fire department for 20 yrs, uscg vet 4 yrs, multiple 100 year storms with my utility co for that past 15 yrs, and never felt the least it vulnerable to anything, this virus, pandemic how ever you want to say it, makes me think otherwise.
Sorry to be that guy in the crowd, and sorry again that this is my first post, hopefully I have much lighter and better ones to post in the future.
You are in solid company, and welcome to your first post. Despite some taking the attitude that only the weak will die and they mostly brought it upon themselves with lifestyle choices, so let them die, some of us have a far more reasonable response. Closing Parks was a great idea even though I clearly wish it hadn't come to that. For the first two weeks of the voluntary quarantine, there were virtually no cars on the roads. Fast forward to the last week and you would have no idea we were in the middle of a pandemic. I've never seen public places as crowded on ANY DAY as the last week or two around here. People are dying. Some of them are or were otherwise healthy despite what some here say. Due to nothing I did as a lifestyle choice, but rather because I once beat cancer and later the heart damage caused by the cancer treatments, I am in the high risk category. Maybe some of you feel I should die, I don't know. But that is how I read many of the posts here. F-me, I'm compromised and fodder and just another statistic for this virus. Got it.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:54 am

Kinda wonder how this current population of Americans would feel about World War 2 rations .....They didn't seem to mind back then .

NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:02 am

Did they close the State Forests? I have a cabin rented in mid-May at Stokes. My wife passed away last week and it has been difficult. I was looking forward to a few days on my old trout haunts to help clear my head.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:22 am

NJpatbee wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:02 am
Did they close the State Forests? I have a cabin rented in mid-May at Stokes. My wife passed away last week and it has been difficult. I was looking forward to a few days on my old trout haunts to help clear my head.
Pat, I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your wife! Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Unfortunately, yes, all State Parks and State Forests are currently closed. WMAs remain open for now. I hope you can find a way to ease your pain on a river somewhere and soon.

NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:26 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:22 am
NJpatbee wrote:
Pat, I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your wife! Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Unfortunately, yes, all State Parks and State Forests are currently closed. WMAs remain open for now. I hope you can find a way to ease your pain on a river somewhere and soon.
Thanks Brian.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:28 am

Vance wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:16 am
Hello, Is the Gorge part of the state or county park system? I have not left the house or my property for the last 30 days. I am now getting stir crazy. How much yard work can you do and how many flies can you tie in 30 days. A lot of flies that for sure. Just for some things to do I stripped all of my caddis flies And saved the hooks then made up new caddis flies. I had about 25 caddis flies that I stripped and did over. As you can see I am BORED. Bill the mailman
The KLG is a wildlife management area and controlled by fish and game or whatever they are called now, not by the parks service. It is not a park and is open, for now.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:30 am

NJpatbee wrote:
So sorry for your loss.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:12 pm

NJpatbee wrote:
My wife passed away last week and it has been difficult. I was looking forward to a few days on my old trout haunts to help clear my head.
Im sorry to hear that man...... :cry: :cry:
Was known as Troutman1

NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:18 am

Thanks for the kind words.

Bubba Zinetti

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:47 am

Njpatbee, sucks to hear about your spouse. Rusty, thanks for your perspective. Something I think about is "I don't want to be the one who gave covid-19 to my mother" You could substitute pretty much anyone you care about for mother.

NJAngler

Post by NJAngler » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:07 pm

Well this virus is killing quite a few, the Gov't is killing a lot too. I'm talking about killing our spirit. Our Souls. Our Faith. Our Freedoms. Our Rights. You kill those, life does not exist.

NJAngler

Post by NJAngler » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:58 pm

I think this picture sums up a lot about the message of the media vs reality.
Attachments
30860.jpeg
30860.jpeg (85.73 KiB) Viewed 24825 times

Dg_njfishing

Post by Dg_njfishing » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:35 pm

Hello all,

I used to post a lot back in the day because I used to fish more but I have to put somethings into perspective....Corona virus spreads at a rate 1:2, the flu 1:1.2. Mortality rate for the flu .01%, Corona is somewhere between 1% and 10% and I know is all based on testing but if we were conservative a 1% death rate will put the amount of people infected in New Jersey at about 170,000 not 50,000 as stated. People in South Korea have tested positive even after being infected and are healthy, so they are carrier. Also, the chances of you falling gravely ill after age 70 is high, If you have pre-existing conditions worse; cancer, diabetes, severe asthma, etc. Yes, I'm upset they closed the parks, I occasionally fish and do a lot of mountain biking. Is this forever? No. We are very privileged to live in a country that has a lot to offer and giving away a few months of quarantine so my friend, my daughter can be safe. I will absolutely sacrifice that time.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:36 am

Dg_njfishing wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:35 pm
Hello all,

I used to post a lot back in the day because I used to fish more but I have to put somethings into perspective....Corona virus spreads at a rate 1:2, the flu 1:1.2. Mortality rate for the flu .01%, Corona is somewhere between 1% and 10% and I know is all based on testing but if we were conservative a 1% death rate will put the amount of people infected in New Jersey at about 170,000 not 50,000 as stated. People in South Korea have tested positive even after being infected and are healthy, so they are carrier. Also, the chances of you falling gravely ill after age 70 is high, If you have pre-existing conditions worse; cancer, diabetes, severe asthma, etc. Yes, I'm upset they closed the parks, I occasionally fish and do a lot of mountain biking. Is this forever? No. We are very privileged to live in a country that has a lot to offer and giving away a few months of quarantine so my friend, my daughter can be safe. I will absolutely sacrifice that time.
Well said. Today, Cornovirus surpassed deaths from heart disease and for cancer year to date here in the US. And we all know someone that died from cancer and heart disease, many of us know many how passed from those issues most likely. I bet none or few of us knows anyone that died from the flu, but now most of us knows someone fighting Coronavirus or that has lost their battle with it..........

cappy

Post by cappy » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:05 am

Does anyone know if the National "federal" Parks within NJ are closed?
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:15 am

If it comes down to it, I know a place where a damn good puddle forms at the end of my street...
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:10 am

Sandy Hook, federal park, is closed.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:57 am

cappy wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:05 am
Does anyone know if the National "federal" Parks within NJ are closed?
Case by case. Sandy Hook is closed because they crowded the beaches, but DWGNRA is open still. We'll see what this weekend and some nice weather brings. My guess is more bad behavior, but I hope I'm wrong.