All state and county parks closed!

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
NJAngler

All state and county parks closed!

Post by NJAngler » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:25 pm

I think we've reached a new level of ridiculousness by closing all parks. Yes lets all go in our backyards walk around the house a few times. That sounds like fun. 99% of those passing away couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without being out of breath so they are certainly not the ones out on the trails and vulnerable. Its reaching the point where the people must stand up to these Draconian rules and say enough is enough. You take our jobs, You take our freedom. We are nothing without them. Death may be preferable to a life imprisoned. Excuse me but f*ck them. I will hike and fish wherever the hell I want. Try to stop me and I will be the one spitting on you.

Rusty Spinner

Re: All state and county parks closed!

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:34 pm

They aren't keeping people away that I know of. You can still fish, for example. Unless I'm wrong. But I know folks have fished Stephens SP as recently as yesterday.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:45 pm

I think it's official As of sun down tonight .....

garden hackle

Post by garden hackle » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:57 pm

NJAngler wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:25 pm
I think we've reached a new level of ridiculousness by closing all parks. Yes lets all go in our backyards walk around the house a few times. That sounds like fun. 99% of those passing away couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without being out of breath so they are certainly not the ones out on the trails and vulnerable. Its reaching the point where the people must stand up to these Draconian rules and say enough is enough. You take our jobs, You take our freedom. We are nothing without them. Death may be preferable to a life imprisoned. Excuse me but f*ck them. I will hike and fish wherever the hell I want. Try to stop me and I will be the one spitting on you.
Let me put a spin on this that you did not consider. While those using the parks are more healthy and less vulnerable, they may have family at home or may come into contact with those that are more vulnerable. It is not just about one person, it is about all the people one person may come into contact.
Public Service Announcement: Sometimes KARMA is best served cold!

Once a box salesman, always a box salesman, and he still cannot think outside of the box!

martalus

Post by martalus » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:59 pm

That really blows...So far state and national parks here in DC, Maryland, and DC are still open and thank God they are. Lots of people don't even have a back yard so its nice to have green spaces to escape to that are not too crowded. The more things you close, the more crowded the remaining places become. Locking people in their houses doesn't seem like a great idea for an indeterminate period of months-that is bad for people's mental, physical, and spritual/emotional health. While this is a tricky virus, its not the black plague, smallpox or even measles or TB. The chance of infecting someone while walking by them is next to nill, especially if you are outdoors and keeping reasonable distance.

NJAngler

Post by NJAngler » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:06 pm

garden hackle wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:57 pm
NJAngler wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:25 pm
Let me put a spin on this that you did not consider. While those using the parks are more healthy and less vulnerable, they may have family at home or may come into contact with those that are more vulnerable. It is not just about one person, it is about all the people one person may come into contact.
There is a world of difference between sitting on a congested bus or concert arena with with no fresh air and walking out on a trail where at times you are miles from anyone. Its ludicrous.

NJAngler

Post by NJAngler » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:08 pm

The numbers in Italy went UP after lockdown. Why? It spread amongst families stuck in their homes and Italy like Spain are countries where large families live together - kids, parents, grandparents, etc. One gets it, they all get it. There is no escape. Distance at home is also helpful. The less time together, the better as well hence the getting outside.

NJAngler

Post by NJAngler » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:13 pm

How many deaths are attributable to poor diet, lack of exercise, cars, cigarettes, alcohol, etc. each year...tens of millions? Shouldn't we close McDonalds because their fries may cause cardiac disease?

NJAngler

Post by NJAngler » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:14 pm

All reminds me of the barbed vs no barbs arguments as if it made any noticeable difference. Natural mortality will always the # killer of trout not a #2 Mepps spinner.

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:18 pm

I agree, it is fully ridiculous to close the state parks. I can see closing the playground areas of parks, yes, but trails? Parking areas were definitely crowded with the recent nice weather but its not very hard to maintain a 6-10' distance from the people next to you.

Im very curious how much pull these executive order truly have in court and how much law enforcement is willing to stop some people who just want to catch a few fish and go for a walk.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:29 pm

Not just closing the parks , but this pandemic has brought the stupid out in everything ...

BillSmith

Post by BillSmith » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:32 pm

Sooo
Attachments
91479944_821971268296513_475008896012910592_o.jpg
91479944_821971268296513_475008896012910592_o.jpg (104.69 KiB) Viewed 24790 times

NJAngler

Post by NJAngler » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:13 pm

The Covid "deaths" for most countries have not been confirmed. These are patients who died and tested positive pre or post mortem. This does not mean they all died because of Covid. People die - millions - every day in health care facilities and hospitals. Many have underlying conditions any of which could cause death. Pneumonia is a common cause. Organ failure. Sepsis. Stroke. Coronary disease. Covid may worsen the patients status but it does not cause their death in most cases. This is why 85-90% of us are perfectly fine. Data also indicates a great majority of victims are obese or have a higher than normal BMI. Walmart shoppers beware. This virus goes mostly goes after the unfit. Yes there are cases of very healthy people dying but they are a very small percentage. If you are not in shape, smoke, drink, enjoy your Cheetoes and fast food, you should be scared. This is your wake up call to clean that sh*t up.

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:15 pm

Big question is does this include WMAs as well?
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:25 pm

I fished the upper SBR yesterday and made the big mistake of getting out well downstream of where I parked to walk back along the Columbia Trail. Big mistake - it was like the lines going into Giants stadium a half hour before kickoff. Social distancing was an absolute joke. And they now believe at full 25%-50% of all infected patients are simply carriers who won't experience symptoms, but are passing it along to others unknowingly. And it aerosolizes for many minutes, so the breath exhaled by the person in front of you on the trail or walking past you at 3 feet away is the air you are breathing in.

BTW, I saw the horror, realized I was in the high risk group due to cancer survival issues, and walked back down to the river and walked upstream in the water to avoid the hordes. Yes, hordes. We are not doing the right thing in those situations....
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

garden hackle

Post by garden hackle » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:38 pm

It sucks, but I understand the reasoning. It is easier to manage a closed park/trail, than to deploy resources with 6 foot measuring sticks and issue summonses that will be fought in our courts. I will not argue it is the right thing to do, just that I understand the thinking.
Public Service Announcement: Sometimes KARMA is best served cold!

Once a box salesman, always a box salesman, and he still cannot think outside of the box!

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:07 pm

I feel the pain. But there is plenty of rivers & streams to fish that are not in recreational area's that will be closed. People just mite have to walk more then 10ft from a stocking point bridge :o :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

NJAngler

Post by NJAngler » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:34 pm

It will have a domino affect..close Worthington, Stokes and High Pt and those people will now move up into the DWGNRA which is open -for now. Blue Mt Lake/Crater lake parking lots will be a popular spots as will be the VCB/Watergate areas. They will be closed within weeks I guarantee it. If people decide its worth the risk, let them go out. Its their body, not the governments. If they think trails are bad then why the hell they leave supermarkets open with almost no limits? They are packed. Tell the stores they have to deliver - to homes or people in cars - or else.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:19 pm

Was known as Troutman1

kennyp2339

Post by kennyp2339 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:20 pm

Hello all, my name is Ken, handle is Kennyp2339, long time lurker, first time poster, and I hate to say that this first post might be against the grain here.
For starters, I lived my whole life in Sussex Co, enlisted in the USCG in the early 2000's, but ended coming back to the county because that's where I feel at home, I tried not to waste me existence in Sussex, I joined the volunteer ambulance squad, along the fire department, I work full time for a major utility co.
I'm so deeply immersed in this virus, it has uprooted my way of life, much like after 9/11 but more so, this virus is ever evolving, seems that you may hit an infected person and have a 70% chance of catching it, to me the risk is not worth the reward. I was so angry when I heard the governor closed down the state parks and county parks, a few of my main fishing holes are located within those boundaries but after the news of the parks being closed, being angry and such, I got a message that hit home; a co-worker of mine unfortunately passed away from the virus, 55 year man who left behind a loving wife and 4 children. Thankfully I was not in direct contact with him, our company already had plans in place for separation and such, but that news really hit home.
I've been an active member of ems for 15 yrs, fire department for 20 yrs, uscg vet 4 yrs, multiple 100 year storms with my utility co for that past 15 yrs, and never felt the least it vulnerable to anything, this virus, pandemic how ever you want to say it, makes me think otherwise.
Sorry to be that guy in the crowd, and sorry again that this is my first post, hopefully I have much lighter and better ones to post in the future.