Proper Catch & Release

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Twism86

Proper Catch & Release

Post by Twism86 » Wed May 02, 2018 9:03 am

A nice article on proper catch & release tactics.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/fi ... ase-killer

Most of us on GST try not to be preachy but when it comes to proper fish pics, the best way to get flamed out on a forum is to post a pic of fish that's been dragged through the mud, dry and being man handled before saying that you released it. If you want to keep you catch, do it within the limits. If you intend to C&R take a quick pic and let it go. I hate seeing people stream side trying to get a pic while the fish flops out of their hands, into the dirt and then grab it to try again. Just let them go. A fish laying in a net in the water makes a great shot as well! Those around long enough also remember the infamous "gill grab" but I wont get into that now... :lol:

Wetter is better folks! :mrgreen:
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

garden hackle

Re: Proper Catch & Release

Post by garden hackle » Wed May 02, 2018 1:45 pm

Saw this video of catch and release of several trout, each one “thumbed” like a LMB to show the camera.
0AA96F91-817A-4BDE-AB6C-D3E39A1F3E9C.jpeg
0AA96F91-817A-4BDE-AB6C-D3E39A1F3E9C.jpeg (124.24 KiB) Viewed 10532 times
Public Service Announcement: Sometimes KARMA is best served cold!

Once a box salesman, always a box salesman, and he still cannot think outside of the box!

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Wed May 02, 2018 2:06 pm

I have an old picture of how NOT to hold a trout.....................
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

barkeater

Post by barkeater » Wed May 02, 2018 5:35 pm

Good article. I would add two things. C&R in the water, not on the bank. You can always dip your net back into the water if you are having trouble getting the hook out to let the fish breath and keep the gills wet. Barbless hooks make this easier and come out of your thumb with less pain. Also, if you are fishing when temps are below freezing keep air exposure of the gills to a minimum as below freezing temps will damage the gills.

NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Thu May 03, 2018 9:07 am

Also, if you must touch the fish be certain to wet your hands so as to not remove the protective coating on the trout's skin. I am a big fan of barbless also and the majority of times I never have to touch the fish but just grab the fly and turn and it comes right out with very little trauma.

the royal coachman

Post by the royal coachman » Fri May 04, 2018 6:11 am

This is one of my pet peeves. I think the internet has killed way more Trout than 3 treble hooks on a jerk bait ever could. I see card carrying Trout Unlimited members taking pictures of fish laying on rocks or up in the grass. That Trout is dead, but they're saintly catch and release fishermen.

The subject comes up every spring. A link like that gets posted and some people do change their ways. But, it still keeps coming up. I know most of the pictures are stockies and we have plenty to spare but we should still respect the resource.

If you're keeping the fish it doesn't matter but if you're releasing them https://www.keepemwet.org/
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Fri May 04, 2018 12:50 pm

3-7-10 Brown.jpg
3-7-10 Brown.jpg (210.02 KiB) Viewed 10406 times
No need to do more than this unless your ego demands a fish holding "hero shot".
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

cappy

Post by cappy » Fri May 04, 2018 1:43 pm

Barbless is the way to go, pinch down those barbs. Makes it easy.

I know who the masked man in the hat is. ;)
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France