SBR on Shannons stretch

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Troutman

Re: SBR on Shannons stretch

Post by Troutman » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:36 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:34 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:34 am
Was surprised to see some folks think that the water between Hoffmans and the bridge over the river in downtown Califon by the fly shop is lightly fished. I think of that water as the exact opposite and stay away when it is crowded.
It's the old YB saying--Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded.
You aint lying about the crowds. Also every fisherman there looks like the LL.Bean catalog :lol: . Im more a Simms person myself :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:37 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:25 am
Nice catch. Fat old stockies need to feel loved too :)
Thank you sir......
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:44 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:34 am
There are some old remnant dams through that stretch that most don't recognize as such, and they have greatly decreased the available habitat for trout. Sure, the pools and boulder pocket below them hold fish, but then they are followed by long, flat stretches of flat, lifeless water until the next old dam.
Yep.... I usually enter that stretch from my buddies house. Rite in back of his house is old boulder dam that has been breached long ago. But still has the deep pockets of water. I also score a few biggies there in the warmer months in the morning
Was known as Troutman1

CheeseburgerFly

Post by CheeseburgerFly » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:41 am

Both the KLG and the parts from Hoffman up are beautiful stretches, however, I agree with everyone else about how busy it gets. I'll still fish them a couple times a year, but generally avoid them. The KLG gets quickly unbearable with the amount of people that show up there.

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:43 am

CheeseburgerFly wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:41 am
Both the KLG and the parts from Hoffman up are beautiful stretches, however, I agree with everyone else about how busy it gets. I'll still fish them a couple times a year, but generally avoid them. The KLG gets quickly unbearable with the amount of people that show up there.
I have not fished the gorge in years, but when I did I found if I fished the fast pocket water I could be alone.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:38 am

joe_panella wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:43 am
CheeseburgerFly wrote:
I have not fished the gorge in years, but when I did I found if I fished the fast pocket water I could be alone.
And the lower section of the KLG below the parking areas down to the Solitude Club wire is very lightly fished and has more fish that upstream. But sheeple tend to congregate. It's the herd mentality. If everyone is standing fishing in one area, all the fish in the river must be just in that one area.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

garden hackle

Post by garden hackle » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:23 pm

There are about 3 fish in the SBR at KLG, since it is a no kill area, everyone is catching the same 3 trout, releasing, rinse and repeat. You might as well go to other rivers.
Public Service Announcement: Sometimes KARMA is best served cold!

Once a box salesman, always a box salesman, and he still cannot think outside of the box!

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:48 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:38 am
joe_panella wrote:
CheeseburgerFly wrote:
And the lower section of the KLG below the parking areas down to the Solitude Club wire is very lightly fished and has more fish that upstream. But sheeple tend to congregate. It's the herd mentality. If everyone is standing fishing in one area, all the fish in the river must be just in that one area.
Yeah cause we all know fish can't swim. :lol:
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:23 pm

garden hackle wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:23 pm
There are about 3 fish in the SBR at KLG, since it is a no kill area, everyone is catching the same 3 trout, releasing, rinse and repeat. You might as well go to other rivers.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:25 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
joe_panella wrote:
CheeseburgerFly wrote:
I fish to social distance myself way before the pandemic :o :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:26 pm

Drossi wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:48 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
joe_panella wrote:

Yeah cause we all know fish can't swim. :lol:
you never seen a flying fish..... :o :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:27 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
joe_panella wrote:
CheeseburgerFly wrote:
Everyone fishes together to show off that LL Bean gear that have on :o :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

garden hackle

Post by garden hackle » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:31 pm

Troutman wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:27 pm

Or their Orvis gear
Public Service Announcement: Sometimes KARMA is best served cold!

Once a box salesman, always a box salesman, and he still cannot think outside of the box!

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:17 pm

garden hackle wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:31 pm
Troutman wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:27 pm

Or their Orvis gear
Let's stop the discussion here so those "wet waders" guys don't get any smart ideas...
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:09 pm

[quote=BiggerThomas post_id=3923 time=1587694633 user_id=49Let's stop the discussion here so those "wet waders" guys don't get any smart ideas...
[/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1