SBR on Shannons stretch

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Troutman

SBR on Shannons stretch

Post by Troutman » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:59 pm

Fished this Sunday on the SBR above KLG. Of course the popular spots are all 6 foot apart fly fisherman. I never like fishing those spots anyway :o . I always enter in the water thru my friends private property and walk the river down. Must have caught about 25 juvenile trout less then 11 inch's until I caught this baby. Caught in in the rapids. Pulled like a mule.... :lol:

Was known as Troutman1

Fishybig

Re: SBR on Shannons stretch

Post by Fishybig » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:04 pm

Nice holdover!!!

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:46 am

"image no longer appears"
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:22 pm

Cant see the picture either... So were you fishing on their water or?
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:53 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:46 am
"image no longer appears"

Dont know what happened. But I re-posted the pic
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:56 pm

Twism86 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:22 pm
No. I fished from the the no kill zone @ the KLG up to Shannons fly shop. I call that shannons water also because he donates plenty of trout in that stretch besides his own private club water
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:56 pm

Fishybig wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:04 pm
Nice holdover!!!
Thank you ....
Was known as Troutman1

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:12 pm

Troutman wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:56 pm
Twism86 wrote:
No. I fished from the the no kill zone @ the KLG up to Shannons fly shop. I call that shannons water also because he donates plenty of trout in that stretch besides his own private club water
I always liked that whole stretch. It is very good water and no one really fishes it except for the pull off. Some wilds in there as well. They don't look up in there early on though.

CheeseburgerFly

Post by CheeseburgerFly » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:22 pm

Almost everyone practices c&r in that stretch as well. I've never seen it, but there is apparently an older local that gets really worked up when he sees someone with fish on their stringer.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:29 pm

joe_panella wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:12 pm
Troutman wrote:
Twism86 wrote:
I always liked that whole stretch. It is very good water and no one really fishes it except for the pull off. Some wilds in there as well. They don't look up in there early on though.
The pull off does see some heavy psi. But I rarely fish that spot. There are some way better locations when you walk the river away from the crowds imo. Its a beautiful stretch of water
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:35 pm

CheeseburgerFly wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:22 pm
Almost everyone practices c&r in that stretch as well. I've never seen it, but there is apparently an older local that gets really worked up when he sees someone with fish on their stringer.
Im strictly a C&R person. if it has perished for some unknown reason then I will take it home & give it to my neighbor. But that is extremely rare......Ive seen a few ole timers remove fish from that stretch. But I cant get upset about it. As they posses a fishing liscense & that is his rite to do so. Just not my cup of tea.
Was known as Troutman1

martalus

Post by martalus » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:36 pm

Many years ago, I made a point to fish that whole section from the Hoffmans crossing bridge up on a fine May day. It was a great mix of stocked trout, wild browns, and wild brookies with a lovely mix of riffles, deep pools, and slow glides. It was great for emergers in mid to late afternoon and sulphur duns in the evening.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:30 pm

martalus wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:36 pm
Many years ago, I made a point to fish that whole section from the Hoffmans crossing bridge up on a fine May day. It was a great mix of stocked trout, wild browns, and wild brookies with a lovely mix of riffles, deep pools, and slow glides. It was great for emergers in mid to late afternoon and sulphur duns in the evening.
The stretch of the SBR from High Bridge dam to the ball park is GREAT also ...... ;)
Was known as Troutman1

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:25 am

Nice catch. Fat old stockies need to feel loved too :)
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:28 am

Troutman wrote:
Twism86 wrote:
Just checking! There are plenty of Shannons people on the board so I didnt want it to appear like someone they didnt know on was on their private water!
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:34 am

That's a Shannon's stocked Kamloops rainbow and not a state stocked bow from Pequest. And yes, they fight like a mule. They are steelhead stock in their native Candian waters, hence the fight. NJ's rainbows are an abomination of federal and state hatchery rainbows with roots most likely from the McCloud River of California. No comparison to the fight between the two. None whatsoever.

Was surprised to see some folks think that the water between Hoffmans and the bridge over the river in downtown Califon by the fly shop is lightly fished. I think of that water as the exact opposite and stay away when it is crowded. There are some old remnant dams through that stretch that most don't recognize as such, and they have greatly decreased the available habitat for trout. Sure, the pools and boulder pocket below them hold fish, but then they are followed by long, flat stretches of flat, lifeless water until the next old dam.

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:34 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:34 am
Was surprised to see some folks think that the water between Hoffmans and the bridge over the river in downtown Califon by the fly shop is lightly fished. I think of that water as the exact opposite and stay away when it is crowded.
It's the old YB saying--Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:50 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:34 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Was surprised to see some folks think that the water between Hoffmans and the bridge over the river in downtown Califon by the fly shop is lightly fished. I think of that water as the exact opposite and stay away when it is crowded.
Except it was too crowded more than 20 years ago and has only increased in popularity with the KLG being jammed all of the time and no parking left for anglers wanting to fish the No-Kill.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:31 pm

Twism86 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:28 am
Troutman wrote:
Twism86 wrote:
Just checking! There are plenty of Shannons people on the board so I didnt want it to appear like someone they didnt know on was on their private water!
I fished the private Shannon stretch sometime ago thru an invite. Had to swing out the fly pole on that stretch of water ;) . Pretty nice stretch
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:34 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:50 pm
BiggerThomas wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:34 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Except it was too crowded more than 20 years ago and has only increased in popularity with the KLG being jammed all of the time and no parking left for anglers wanting to fish the No-Kill.
I rather fish the stretch from Hoffman bridge up. The crowd there is insane in the warmer months from the general public. & I hate the dog owners allowing there pups in the water to swim right in front of you while you trying to fish :x . Also the fish there are extremely skittish from all the hooks piercing in their mouths daily :o .
Was known as Troutman1