Breached dam and wild brookies in peril in the Lamington/Black River Watershed?

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
martalus

Breached dam and wild brookies in peril in the Lamington/Black River Watershed?

Post by martalus » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:10 am

Hi All-

My dad went for a walk in the past week and he said it looked like the dam on the old Pottersville reservoir was being taken down. This dam/area has been talked about a few times over the past years on different threads, but as a reminder, there are almost all wild browns below the dam and as of now, all wild brookies above the obsolete dam. Has anyone else had eyes on this stream in the past few weeks or heard anything? Generally, dams are bad, but this one is protecting the last wild brookie populations in T-bury.

brettdv

Re: Breached dam and wild brookies in peril in the Lamington/Black River Watershed?

Post by brettdv » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:02 am

i was there 2 weeks ago.... nothing going on at the dam as far as i saw.

Rusty Spinner

Re: Breached dam and wild brookies in peril in the Lamington/Black River Watershed?

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:09 am

There has been no permits issued that I can find online on DEP Data Miner. Any in-stream work on a WTS could happen after March 15, but any project in stream would require necessary freshwater wetlands stream encroachment permit of one kind or the other.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:27 am

martalus wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:10 am
Hi All-

My dad went for a walk in the past week and he said it looked like the dam on the old Pottersville reservoir was being taken down. This dam/area has been talked about a few times over the past years on different threads, but as a reminder, there are almost all wild browns below the dam and as of now, all wild brookies above the obsolete dam. Has anyone else had eyes on this stream in the past few weeks or heard anything? Generally, dams are bad, but this one is protecting the last wild brookie populations in T-bury.
Do you have an address you can send me via PM?

martalus

Post by martalus » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:08 pm

Thanks y'all-let me know talk to my dad again to confirm what he saw and get back to you.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:52 pm

martalus wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:08 pm
Thanks y'all-let me know talk to my dad again to confirm what he saw and get back to you.

Thanks

brettdv

Post by brettdv » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:56 pm

The dam is naturally crumbling but it has a long way to go for sure.... unless someone helps it along.

NJAngler

Post by NJAngler » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:49 pm

They can co-exist but given the tiny nature of this stream, I doubt browns would completely take over so lets not exaggerate the impact of the browns just yet if the dam crumbles. Bear in mind nearly all the BIg Flat Brook tribs are trout production waters and about 99% of the wild trout are brookies despite few natural boundaries for upstream migration. Now there could be a water chemistry reason for why wilds browns don't do well in the BFB system but I have yet to see any verification of this. What I do know is that the wild browns are scarce throughout the watershed. Same goes for Pequest tribs near me in the Allamuchy/Johnsonburg area. Dark Moon Brook, Bear Creek and Trout Book are all natural spring creeks with brookies only(to my knowledge) despite stockings of browns and bows for decades up til stocking ceased. These are just 2 examples where browns(or bows) did not take over a watershed despite limited obstacles and decades of stockings(I think the tribs to the Musky is another example)Why? Your guess is a s good as mine. I know a lot about wild trout but why browns do so well in one watershed(Raritan for example) vs another has always puzzled me. Flows? Summer temps? Geology? The floor is open for suggestions...

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:31 pm

poor brookie's if the dam comes down :cry:
Was known as Troutman1

martalus

Post by martalus » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:43 pm

False alarm guys-my dad confirmed that he was talking about the Burnt Mills dam, which was removed from the Lamington in November. When he first mentioned it to me, he said it was that place we fished along time ago near 512 near the Hollowbrook. Apparently we fished by both dams in the past. Sorry for the false alarm!

The fact remains that the old dam on the Pottersville will one day eventually give way and I am not sure what, if anything can be done to protect the brookie pop. The fact that below the dam is like 99.8 percent browns and above is 100 percent brookies means that the two species just don’t play well together in this watershed.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:41 am

martalus wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:43 pm
False alarm guys-my dad confirmed that he was talking about the Burnt Mills dam, which was removed from the Lamington in November. When he first mentioned it to me, he said it was that place we fished along time ago near 512 near the Hollowbrook. Apparently we fished by both dams in the past. Sorry for the false alarm!

The fact remains that the old dam on the Pottersville will one day eventually give way and I am not sure what, if anything can be done to protect the brookie pop. The fact that below the dam is like 99.8 percent browns and above is 100 percent brookies means that the two species just don’t play well together in this watershed.
Tell you father my apologies for removing Burnt Mills dam on him. :lol:
Two CATS working at dam.jpg
Two CATS working at dam.jpg (3.7 MiB) Viewed 15432 times

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:51 am

now all the NB smallmouth bass are gonna eat all the brown trout :o :shock: oh no! :mrgreen: i jk . i know there's already plenty of smb throughout the lamington (and i love it)

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:52 am

Is that you pointing yet again Rusty?!
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

cappy

Post by cappy » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:44 am

Is there an after picture you can post?
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

martalus

Post by martalus » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:52 am

I got worried when he said they were removing the dam on the Hollowbrook! It's like the only 'good dam' that I know of.
I love rivers like the Lamington when you don't know what you are going to catch. Smallies and wild browns are a great combo! Lots of chubs too which I assume the other species like to eat. Its a nice wide river which is great for fly fishing and throwing streamers

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:23 pm

Twism86 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:52 am
Looks more like he's doing his yoga if you ask me :lol:
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:28 pm

Looking up from the bridge...after the dam dam was removed
Attachments
20191019_091658.jpg
20191019_091658.jpg (7.3 MiB) Viewed 15398 times

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:56 pm

Twism86 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:52 am
Maybe :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I can't believe a drone randomly caught me pointing. :D

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:07 pm

cappy wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:44 am
Is there an after picture you can post?
Yup....
BMD post removal resized.JPG
BMD post removal resized.JPG (787.16 KiB) Viewed 15377 times