harvesting trout ?

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Troutman

harvesting trout ?

Post by Troutman » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:00 pm

Looks like I might have to harvest a few trout for dinner soon. As Im reading a shortage of meat arising :( . That or catch a few saltwater stripers for the table ;) . Your thoughts ?
https://www.yahoo.com/news/covid-19-mea ... 36344.html
Was known as Troutman1

garden hackle

Re: harvesting trout ?

Post by garden hackle » Fri May 01, 2020 5:59 am

Anyone find it scary that food processing and handling procedures do not already have precautions in place to eliminate the transference disease from humans to food and therefore humans to humans?

I hear that stocked trout are like Doritos, harvest all the trout you like, they will make more.
Public Service Announcement: Sometimes KARMA is best served cold!

Once a box salesman, always a box salesman, and he still cannot think outside of the box!

kennyp2339

Post by kennyp2339 » Fri May 01, 2020 6:27 am

I was at my local food store yesterday and saw no sign of any meat shortages, prices were up a few dollars on chicken and beef, but nothing crazy, no empty shelves either, or panic buying. Best bet is to find your local farm and ask them of they hold sales for meats. I have 4 farms within a 5 min drive and all have created a co-op a few years back, you put your order in and Thursdays are slaughter / clean days, Fridays are pickup days, if you join the co-op you also get a basket full of what ever is harvested vegetable plant and egg wise from all the farms, meats are a separate cost.

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Fri May 01, 2020 8:34 am

While im 100% C&R I have thought about keeping a few this year myself. There are couple streams by me that wont holdover anyway so if someone doesnt eat one they will be dead come summer anyways and just be raccoon food.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

cappy

Post by cappy » Fri May 01, 2020 8:41 am

I always fish one particular stream and stretch each opening day very late in the afternoon and keep my limit and that is it. On the surface this stream should holdover but it does not, and it's a pretty stretch so I don't feel bad keeping the fish, after that I don't fish it again. I vacuum seal the fish and stretch the meals out in between my favorite types of seafood from the market which I prefer over Trout. I'm not much of a meat eater so I won't miss a shortage.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri May 01, 2020 9:27 am

Funny you wrote this today, I was at the KLG yesterday and saw a family of 5 fishing about 1/2 mile from the opening (north side).

They CLEARLY were keeping what they caught, IF I spoke Spanish I would have said something. Then I took a step back and thought that maybe they needed the fish to eat. The saltwater Penn reels were a clear indication that they were not regular trout people.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri May 01, 2020 10:58 am

Most of the shortages are minor as are the plant closings, but as with everything, the media blows it way out of proportion and that causes panic buying. My good friend is a butcher with the local Shop Rite chain. Wakefern who supplies all those stores upped their meat orders by 4X last week just to avoid panic buying when in fact, they are causing it at the wholesale level. If the masses fear no meat soon, they will buy up everything in site like they did with TP and cleaning supplies.

Glad I still have about 2 of the 3 deer I shot left in the freezer. I have 72 individual 1 lb. ground venison packages in the freezer on top of steaks and other cuts. That's a lot of Hamburger Helper meals, but we will survive for a long time if we can't easily buy meat. :) :)
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Fri May 01, 2020 7:42 pm

MikeB wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:27 am
Funny you wrote this today, I was at the KLG yesterday and saw a family of 5 fishing about 1/2 mile from the opening (north side).

They CLEARLY were keeping what they caught, IF I spoke Spanish I would have said something. Then I took a step back and thought that maybe they needed the fish to eat. The saltwater Penn reels were a clear indication that they were not regular trout people.
I seen a few with the same set up on the musky a few days ago. Looked like they was fishing with a telephone pole, a winch, and cable :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Im surprise there was no CO in the area. that spot is heavily patrolled. I got checked a few times before they stopped bothering me when I 1st started fishing up there :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Fri May 01, 2020 7:46 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:58 am
Glad I still have about 2 of the 3 deer I shot left in the freezer. I have 72 individual 1 lb. ground venison packages in the freezer on top of steaks and other cuts. That's a lot of Hamburger Helper meals, but we will survive for a long time if we can't easily buy meat. :) :)
This is GREAT.. I was never a hunter type. As for my dad he was a GREAT hunter back in the day, I used to hate tracking it for miles sometimes, then field dressing it, then dragging that sucker back out from deep in the woods.... :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Fri May 01, 2020 8:12 pm

If there are shortages, this is the perfect opportunity for you all to do the right thing and become vegan :ugeek: ... :lol: :lol:

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Fri May 01, 2020 8:16 pm

coaltrout wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:12 pm
If there are shortages, this is the perfect opportunity for you all to do the right thing and become vegan :ugeek: ... :lol: :lol:
Just SHOOT me now :!: :!: :!: :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

garden hackle

Post by garden hackle » Sat May 02, 2020 10:24 am

While this is the reason for the outbreak or not, this is scary:

https://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/news ... g-pandemic
[url] https://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/news/usda-removing-safeguards-food-while-everyone-else-fighting-pandemic[/url]
[url] https://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/news/usda-removing-safeguards-food-while-everyone-else-fighting-pandemic[/url]
04DB0C1F-87E8-453B-83AE-A4F66D3FA187.jpeg (314.28 KiB) Viewed 11836 times
Public Service Announcement: Sometimes KARMA is best served cold!

Once a box salesman, always a box salesman, and he still cannot think outside of the box!

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sat May 02, 2020 4:57 pm

garden hackle wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:24 am
While this is the reason for the outbreak or not, this is scary:

https://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/news ... g-pandemic

04DB0C1F-87E8-453B-83AE-A4F66D3FA187.jpeg
:o :o :o :o :o :o
Was known as Troutman1