Tippet Expiration Dates

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Twism86

Tippet Expiration Dates

Post by Twism86 » Wed May 06, 2020 11:44 am

Some brands, mainly Orvis, have "expiration dates on their tippet spools. Does anyone follow these? Having done less fly fishing over the past few years I have a collection of a few older spools. I recently tied up some leaders and strength tested some knots and sections, it all held up fine.

I know mono of fluoro will break down from UV expose and probably excessive heat as well but given these have been stored inside, room temp and in the dark of a drawer or fishing vest pocket Im still going to use them. I start breaking off fish for no good reason or have failed knots then I will go buy more.

Tom
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Rusty Spinner

Re: Tippet Expiration Dates

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed May 06, 2020 12:04 pm

When I guided, this was a non-issue as I went through multiple spools of each size every year. But now I noticed some sizes go a year or two, and I replace those even if there is line left. I have also had bad tippet spools right out of the factory at least a few times, and those were also quickly tossed out and replaced.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Wed May 06, 2020 12:50 pm

If you've been storing it in a cool place and not in direct sunlight, you're probably ok. Also, it’s possible for abrasion (against a rock for example) or a weak knot to cause an older tippet to “break.” Hard to tell if it’s just the tippet or if something happened to it. Your best efforts are going to be only as good as your weakest point, so personally I wouldn't set up an otherwise nice rig with line that's too old--it might cost you landing a fish.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Thu May 07, 2020 9:11 am

Tippet help up fine yesterday! I dont use anything smaller than 5x so I still have confidence in it.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Thu May 07, 2020 9:21 am

I have never paid any attention to expiration dates and have never had a problem to the best of my knowledge. As far as I know most tippet manufacturers don’t even have expiration dates on their products.

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Thu May 07, 2020 10:02 am

Your knots will break alot more when your tippet is bad.