Lamington River Pottersville-Bedminster

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Razorbacker

Lamington River Pottersville-Bedminster

Post by Razorbacker » Fri May 04, 2018 12:41 pm

Is anyone familiar with the stretch of the Lamington River between Pottersville, south to Lamington Rd? I moved into the village back at Christmas time, very excited to walk out my back property and into the river, but the couple of scouting trips that I have made so far have yielded one chub, and MAYBE a hookup on a small brown, but I lost it before getting to net. I did catch a couple of nice fat rainbows up near the village bridge, but I know those are private stockers. I am very surprised at the lack of any kind of gamefish or even panfish so far. I was hoping to find SMB as it is perfect cover and flow for them, as well as a perfect trout stream. Just no fish.

The state does not stock through here, and granted there is a lot of posted private property, but there s also at least a mile of accessible stream on the Bedminster side.

Any one familiar enough with the area to have thoughts or intel?

martalus

Re: Lamington River Pottersville-Bedminster

Post by martalus » Fri May 04, 2018 4:26 pm

I am from that area. It is kind of the transition between trout water and smallie water-yes there are lots of chubs too. There are wild trout, but not super high density from what I can tell. There are several brooks with wild trout that enter into the river in that area. I have caught some big wild browns in the tribs so I imagine there must be some bruisers in the main river, but again, density may not be that great. And smallies that I have caught below Pville have been on the smaller side. Again, transition area from what I have seen, so could be kind of dissapointing for both species, but you could get a nice suprise now and again. Keep at it!

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Fri May 04, 2018 4:52 pm

thanks for the input! Herzog Brook flows under Black River Rd right around my place, and I was wondering if there were any wilds left in there. Will have to give it a try now :D .

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Mon May 07, 2018 9:30 am

Scout some areas during a hatch. Might be easier to see what is in it. Probably the best way to target trout if there are any. Sulphurs will be here soon.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon May 07, 2018 2:23 pm

martalus wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 4:26 pm
I am from that area. It is kind of the transition between trout water and smallie water-yes there are lots of chubs too. There are wild trout, but not super high density from what I can tell. There are several brooks with wild trout that enter into the river in that area. I have caught some big wild browns in the tribs so I imagine there must be some bruisers in the main river, but again, density may not be that great. And smallies that I have caught below Pville have been on the smaller side. Again, transition area from what I have seen, so could be kind of dissapointing for both species, but you could get a nice suprise now and again. Keep at it!
That's an excellent response. That section is still TP (trout production), but as you noted, the population density is not real high. The Lamington is now TP water to the bottom of Fiddler's Elbow Country Club which is way downstream. Most of the river is private, but as noted, the town of Bedminster owns one side in places. You are up against the J&J family with their Flint Hill Club which is private and which owns much of the other side as well as both sides in certain places.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Wed May 09, 2018 10:26 am

I have heard that the Johnson club is planning a "restoration" of sorts in this area. Has anyone heard anything about that?

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed May 09, 2018 11:04 am

Razorbacker wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:26 am
I have heard that the Johnson club is planning a "restoration" of sorts in this area. Has anyone heard anything about that?
Yes, but it wasn't initially funded although I strongly suspect they will fund it on their own if they want it bad enough. They were in talks with my former employer. I had made that intro back when I worked for the other guy. Enhancement, not restoration although there was some need for restoration in spots.

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Thu May 10, 2018 8:08 am

thanks Brian.

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Mon May 14, 2018 6:58 pm

Caught a little 7" beauty today literally in sight of my house in a trib.

SBRtool

Post by SBRtool » Mon May 14, 2018 8:21 pm

that is awesome

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:27 am

I am starting to find the fish in the Lamington. I snuck out for an hour after work last night before my wife got home, not expecting much after I got down there as the water was still pretty discolored. I caught a 8-9" smallmouth out of a deep trough, then bang, this one hit. I thought it was bigger smallie the way it fought, especially on my 3wt. Long deep runs. It was a while before it was close enough that I could tell it was a rainbow. After I got it to net, I tried to revive it for over 10 minutes, but it didn't seem it was going to make it, so I decided to keep it. I haven't kept a trout in over 2 years so I guess I am due one, but I still feel guilty. I should have had my 5wt. Happy though to be finding fish close to the house.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:44 am

Razorbacker wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:27 am
I am starting to find the fish in the Lamington. I snuck out for an hour after work last night before my wife got home, not expecting much after I got down there as the water was still pretty discolored. I caught a 8-9" smallmouth out of a deep trough, then bang, this one hit. I thought it was bigger smallie the way it fought, especially on my 3wt. Long deep runs. It was a while before it was close enough that I could tell it was a rainbow. After I got it to net, I tried to revive it for over 10 minutes, but it didn't seem it was going to make it, so I decided to keep it. I haven't kept a trout in over 2 years so I guess I am due one, but I still feel guilty. I should have had my 5wt. Happy though to be finding fish close to the house.

That's a nice one! My good friend Agust Gudmundsson, past NJTU state council chair and current NJ Fish & Game Council member wrote an excellent blog post on the old NJTU website about fishing as a blood sport. He thought, in essence, all so-called catch and release anglers should keep a trout now and then if for no other reason than to remind the angler that even some fish released will wind up dying. By keeping a fish, it reminds us that fishing is indeed a blood sport, even for those that feel the need to release 100% of their catch. Wish I could post a link.

cappy

Post by cappy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:25 am

Congrats and nice picture. River Smallies are loads of fun, great bonus. I like your rod's reel seat, what rod is that, and what fly were you using?
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:40 pm

Nice fish and nice anecdote from Agust I often drive by the Lamington and have found very little (at least visible) access which has prevented me from doing much exploring. This offers some hope!

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:43 pm

PortMurrayAng wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:40 pm
Nice fish and nice anecdote from Agust I often drive by the Lamington and have found very little (at least visible) access which has prevented me from doing much exploring. This offers some hope!
Check your PMs

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:48 pm

Whenever you find a trout stream flowing through "blue blood" areas of the state, you will have a tough time finding access without digging deep. That is by design; they want to keep the riff raff like us out of their area. The Lamington and the North Branch above Ravine Lake both come to mind. But if you peruse tax maps, you can find legal access on both rivers.

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:04 pm

Cappy, it is a 7'9" 3wt RainShadow blank, put together by Taialfin Creations. https://www.tailfincreations.com/fly-rods.html

He does nice work. He also built a 10' 6wt for me. Yeah, the reel-seat is really nice on this one, though I can't remember the maker. I will dig it up later. Olive beadhead WB fooled it.

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:07 pm

Yep, a tax map and bing bird's eye map are our best friends. Don't discount just knocking on the front door and asking permission either.... no one has told me "no" yet :).

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:15 pm

Razorbacker wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:07 pm
Yep, a tax map and bing bird's eye map are our best friends. Don't discount just knocking on the front door and asking permission either.... no one has told me "no" yet :).
Great point on door knocking. Gaining fishing access is WAY easier than gaining hunting access, especially if you tell them you release your catches. I would say I average 9 out of 10 "yes" to fishing access while going 9 for 10 "no" for hunting access.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:33 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:04 am
Razorbacker wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:26 am
Yes, but it wasn't initially funded although I strongly suspect they will fund it on their own if they want it bad enough. They were in talks with my former employer. I had made that intro back when I worked for the other guy. Enhancement, not restoration although there was some need for restoration in spots.
If the Johnson's use any public money for that, they should be embarassed!!!