Better fishing on the no frill brand water now

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Troutman
Posts: 397
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Better fishing on the no frill brand water now

Post by Troutman » Wed May 13, 2020 11:50 am

Ive been fishing the big name rivers in Nj since I was a kid. With the shut down of recent state parks. The big name brand waters have been fished to death. When I mean fished to death. I mean the bucket & chain gangs peeps. Now dont get me wrong. Thats fisherman rights to keep fish if they have a license. But wow I never :shock: such #'s of guys in spots before. 1 state park I fish in sometimes has been decimated as soon as it was opened. Ive been staying semi local now & the fish quality & experience has been better then taking that hour ride :o . pfa only
Image
Was known as Troutman1

User avatar
Twism86
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: Basking Ridge, NJ
Contact:

Re: Better fishing on the no frill brand water now

Post by Twism86 » Wed May 13, 2020 12:35 pm

Just a wee bit of erosion on that bank!! Also, weird looking fly rod :P
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Troutman
Posts: 397
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: Better fishing on the no frill brand water now

Post by Troutman » Wed May 13, 2020 1:10 pm

Twism86 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:35 pm
Also, weird looking fly rod :P
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

User avatar
coaltrout
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:47 pm

Re: Better fishing on the no frill brand water now

Post by coaltrout » Wed May 13, 2020 2:19 pm

Maybe it has something to do with the makeshift stocking schedules. Dont quote me on this- i thought they stopped or limited the in-season stockings. I think i heard otherwise tho.

if we're doing the "where am I" thing again; Ive Studdied this spot for a long time... and know exactly where this is ;)

Troutman
Posts: 397
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: Better fishing on the no frill brand water now

Post by Troutman » Wed May 13, 2020 9:21 pm

coaltrout wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:19 pm
if we're doing the "where am I" thing again; Ive Studdied this spot for a long time... and know exactly where this is ;)
ssshhhhh :lol: . Ive fished that spot for many years. I just dont like the available lack of parking there.
Was known as Troutman1

User avatar
coaltrout
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:47 pm

Re: Better fishing on the no frill brand water now

Post by coaltrout » Wed May 13, 2020 9:57 pm

Troutman wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:21 pm
coaltrout wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:19 pm
if we're doing the "where am I" thing again; Ive Studdied this spot for a long time... and know exactly where this is ;)
ssshhhhh :lol: . Ive fished that spot for many years. I just dont like the available lack of parking there.
i might actually be totally wrong with my prediction now looking more at the pic. so disregard my guess :oops:

Troutman
Posts: 397
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: Better fishing on the no frill brand water now

Post by Troutman » Wed May 13, 2020 10:53 pm

coaltrout wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:57 pm
Troutman wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:21 pm
coaltrout wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:19 pm
if we're doing the "where am I" thing again; Ive Studdied this spot for a long time... and know exactly where this is ;)
ssshhhhh :lol: . Ive fished that spot for many years. I just dont like the available lack of parking there.
i might actually be totally wrong with my prediction now looking more at the pic. so disregard my guess :oops:
they all look the same after you fished a million of those type of spots :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: Better fishing on the no frill brand water now

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri May 15, 2020 1:35 pm

coaltrout wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:19 pm
Maybe it has something to do with the makeshift stocking schedules. Dont quote me on this- i thought they stopped or limited the in-season stockings. I think i heard otherwise tho.

if we're doing the "where am I" thing again; Ive Studdied this spot for a long time... and know exactly where this is ;)
The Division stocked nearly all of their spring allocation of trout by the regular opening day. Next week they put out the last 55,000 across the state at random times and rivers.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Troutman
Posts: 397
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: Better fishing on the no frill brand water now

Post by Troutman » Fri May 15, 2020 2:55 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:35 pm
The Division stocked nearly all of their spring allocation of trout by the regular opening day. Next week they put out the last 55,000 across the state at random times and rivers.
Fresh fish... cant ask for more then that. Some of the fish that Ive been hooking into :shock: like they went thru 4 rounds with Mike Tyson :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: Better fishing on the no frill brand water now

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri May 15, 2020 3:54 pm

Troutman wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:55 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:35 pm
The Division stocked nearly all of their spring allocation of trout by the regular opening day. Next week they put out the last 55,000 across the state at random times and rivers.
Fresh fish... cant ask for more then that. Some of the fish that Ive been hooking into :shock: like they went thru 4 rounds with Mike Tyson :lol: :lol: :lol:
I hear that! I have never in my life seen rivers and even smaller streams as packed with anglers as this year. For obvious reasons of course. But some rivers like the upper D are seeing just the opposite because guides were largely off the river through April and into May which means no drift boats coming through at 10/hour pounding the crap out of both banks by their "sports" before flows and temps allow spring hatches. With high water, waders haven't fished there much until just the last few days.....
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Troutman
Posts: 397
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: Better fishing on the no frill brand water now

Post by Troutman » Fri May 15, 2020 4:09 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 3:54 pm
Troutman wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:55 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:35 pm
The Division stocked nearly all of their spring allocation of trout by the regular opening day. Next week they put out the last 55,000 across the state at random times and rivers.
Fresh fish... cant ask for more then that. Some of the fish that Ive been hooking into :shock: like they went thru 4 rounds with Mike Tyson :lol: :lol: :lol:
I hear that! I have never in my life seen rivers and even smaller streams as packed with anglers as this year. For obvious reasons of course. But some rivers like the upper D are seeing just the opposite because guides were largely off the river through April and into May which means no drift boats coming through at 10/hour pounding the crap out of both banks by their "sports" before flows and temps allow spring hatches. With high water, waders haven't fished there much until just the last few days.....
I usually dont start heading up to the deposit & hancock area until middle June anyway. The flows are usually to high for me to wade thru. I stay mainly in the no kill zones. But sometimes I fish the main stem for smallies. I sure do miss those wild trout up there for sure. Way different animals then the stock fish for sure. The fight is insane...... :o . Cant wait to start going back up there :!:
Was known as Troutman1

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: Better fishing on the no frill brand water now

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri May 15, 2020 5:49 pm

Troutman wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:09 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 3:54 pm
Troutman wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:55 pm


Fresh fish... cant ask for more then that. Some of the fish that Ive been hooking into :shock: like they went thru 4 rounds with Mike Tyson :lol: :lol: :lol:
I hear that! I have never in my life seen rivers and even smaller streams as packed with anglers as this year. For obvious reasons of course. But some rivers like the upper D are seeing just the opposite because guides were largely off the river through April and into May which means no drift boats coming through at 10/hour pounding the crap out of both banks by their "sports" before flows and temps allow spring hatches. With high water, waders haven't fished there much until just the last few days.....
I usually dont start heading up to the deposit & hancock area until middle June anyway. The flows are usually to high for me to wade thru. I stay mainly in the no kill zones. But sometimes I fish the main stem for smallies. I sure do miss those wild trout up there for sure. Way different animals then the stock fish for sure. The fight is insane...... :o . Cant wait to start going back up there :!:
I've been up to the Beaverkill twice so far. Turned down an invite from Rick Axt whom many know to float the upper East, but only because I had committed to fishing with Agust (whom many also know) and my old HS English teacher on the B-kill. Next week I'm hoping for low enough flows to hit the Hendricksons on the WB.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

User avatar
cappy
Posts: 165
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:22 pm
Location: On the River

Re: Better fishing on the no frill brand water now

Post by cappy » Sat May 16, 2020 7:33 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:49 pm
Troutman wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:09 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 3:54 pm


I hear that! I have never in my life seen rivers and even smaller streams as packed with anglers as this year. For obvious reasons of course. But some rivers like the upper D are seeing just the opposite because guides were largely off the river through April and into May which means no drift boats coming through at 10/hour pounding the crap out of both banks by their "sports" before flows and temps allow spring hatches. With high water, waders haven't fished there much until just the last few days.....
I usually dont start heading up to the deposit & hancock area until middle June anyway. The flows are usually to high for me to wade thru. I stay mainly in the no kill zones. But sometimes I fish the main stem for smallies. I sure do miss those wild trout up there for sure. Way different animals then the stock fish for sure. The fight is insane...... :o . Cant wait to start going back up there :!:
I've been up to the Beaverkill twice so far. Turned down an invite from Rick Axt whom many know to float the upper East, but only because I had committed to fishing with Agust (whom many also know) and my old HS English teacher on the B-kill. Next week I'm hoping for low enough flows to hit the Hendricksons on the WB.
How did the BK fish? I'm heading up to the WB in two weeks, hoping for good flows and weather.

User avatar
BiggerThomas
Posts: 268
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:44 pm
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Re: Better fishing on the no frill brand water now

Post by BiggerThomas » Sat May 16, 2020 8:05 am

Troutman wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:55 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:35 pm
The Division stocked nearly all of their spring allocation of trout by the regular opening day. Next week they put out the last 55,000 across the state at random times and rivers.
Fresh fish... cant ask for more then that. Some of the fish that Ive been hooking into :shock: like they went thru 4 rounds with Mike Tyson :lol: :lol: :lol:
Got that right about some of the stockies looking beat up...I hooked into one the other day that had a face only a mother could love...I actually ended up apologizing to the fly...

But hey, at least there some fish to catch.
Every Night & every Morn
Some to Misery are Born
Every Morn and every Night
Some are Born to sweet delight
Some are Born to sweet delight
Some are Born to Endless Night
___________________________
--William Blake, "Auguries of Innocence"

garden hackle
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:50 pm

Re: Better fishing on the no frill brand water now

Post by garden hackle » Sat May 16, 2020 8:12 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:05 am
Troutman wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:55 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:35 pm
The Division stocked nearly all of their spring allocation of trout by the regular opening day. Next week they put out the last 55,000 across the state at random times and rivers.
Fresh fish... cant ask for more then that. Some of the fish that Ive been hooking into :shock: like they went thru 4 rounds with Mike Tyson :lol: :lol: :lol:
Got that right about some of the stockies looking beat up...I hooked into one the other day that had a face only a mother could love...I actually ended up apologizing to the fly...

But hey, at least there some fish to catch.
Your jokes are getting better, slightly above the "two peanuts walking down the street. . ."

Troutman
Posts: 397
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: Better fishing on the no frill brand water now

Post by Troutman » Sat May 16, 2020 6:26 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:05 am
Got that right about some of the stockies looking beat up...I hooked into one the other day that had a face only a mother could love...I actually ended up apologizing to the fly...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman
Posts: 397
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: Better fishing on the no frill brand water now

Post by Troutman » Sat May 16, 2020 6:26 pm

garden hackle wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:12 am
Your jokes are getting better, slightly above the "two peanuts walking down the street. . ."
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: Better fishing on the no frill brand water now

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon May 18, 2020 9:31 am

cappy wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:33 am
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:49 pm
Troutman wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:09 pm

I usually dont start heading up to the deposit & hancock area until middle June anyway. The flows are usually to high for me to wade thru. I stay mainly in the no kill zones. But sometimes I fish the main stem for smallies. I sure do miss those wild trout up there for sure. Way different animals then the stock fish for sure. The fight is insane...... :o . Cant wait to start going back up there :!:
I've been up to the Beaverkill twice so far. Turned down an invite from Rick Axt whom many know to float the upper East, but only because I had committed to fishing with Agust (whom many also know) and my old HS English teacher on the B-kill. Next week I'm hoping for low enough flows to hit the Hendricksons on the WB.
How did the BK fish? I'm heading up to the WB in two weeks, hoping for good flows and weather.
It's day by day right now up there. My first trip was great Hendricksons but few rises. My second trip was sparse Hendricksons, but more rises. I need to hit the happy medium. But if you look at flows, they keep getting pounded by rains that swing north of us. The upper West Branch, for example, is getting dumped on right now (Monday morning). The Hale Eddy gauge is at 2,130 and steady, and the Walton gauge where the river comes in to the top of the Cannonsville reservoir is at 804 cfs and falling, but both will go back up later today and tomorrow. The WB won't be wadeable for at least another week, and likely more, unfortunately. Drift if you can. That river didn't get the crap beat out of it like most years in the pre-season with guide after guide and private boat after private boat beating the crap out of the banks chucking streamers. That's the only saving grace of this pandemic so far.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

User avatar
cappy
Posts: 165
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:22 pm
Location: On the River

Re: Better fishing on the no frill brand water now

Post by cappy » Mon May 18, 2020 11:06 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:31 am
cappy wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:33 am
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:49 pm


I've been up to the Beaverkill twice so far. Turned down an invite from Rick Axt whom many know to float the upper East, but only because I had committed to fishing with Agust (whom many also know) and my old HS English teacher on the B-kill. Next week I'm hoping for low enough flows to hit the Hendricksons on the WB.
How did the BK fish? I'm heading up to the WB in two weeks, hoping for good flows and weather.
It's day by day right now up there. My first trip was great Hendricksons but few rises. My second trip was sparse Hendricksons, but more rises. I need to hit the happy medium. But if you look at flows, they keep getting pounded by rains that swing north of us. The upper West Branch, for example, is getting dumped on right now (Monday morning). The Hale Eddy gauge is at 2,130 and steady, and the Walton gauge where the river comes in to the top of the Cannonsville reservoir is at 804 cfs and falling, but both will go back up later today and tomorrow. The WB won't be wadeable for at least another week, and likely more, unfortunately. Drift if you can. That river didn't get the crap beat out of it like most years in the pre-season with guide after guide and private boat after private boat beating the crap out of the banks chucking streamers. That's the only saving grace of this pandemic so far.
Just checked the weather and flows up there after reading your post. Yep it be a raining - LOL. Can't swing a guided trip this month. Not going until the end of the month, hoping the weather and flows cooperate by then.

Troutman
Posts: 397
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: Better fishing on the no frill brand water now

Post by Troutman » Mon May 18, 2020 11:49 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:31 am
It's day by day right now up there. My first trip was great Hendricksons but few rises. My second trip was sparse Hendricksons, but more rises. I need to hit the happy medium. But if you look at flows, they keep getting pounded by rains that swing north of us. The upper West Branch, for example, is getting dumped on right now (Monday morning). The Hale Eddy gauge is at 2,130 and steady, and the Walton gauge where the river comes in to the top of the Cannonsville reservoir is at 804 cfs and falling, but both will go back up later today and tomorrow. The WB won't be wadeable for at least another week, and likely more, unfortunately. Drift if you can. That river didn't get the crap beat out of it like most years in the pre-season with guide after guide and private boat after private boat beating the crap out of the banks chucking streamers. That's the only saving grace of this pandemic so far.
Darn..... The WB is where my home is @ when I go up there. I tried the EB a few times but it really didnt produce for me like the WB. The main stem was even better then the EB. So I guess my estimates are holding right now for late May to Mid June. Guess I start booking for hotels in the area now for those time slots. Trying to do more on the weekdays then ends. As the river gets swamped with drift boats and bank guys. Worst thing about when they open the bottom of the dams up. All that vegetation that flows into the water makes it HARD to fish :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Post Reply