Nymphin' The Black, 5/13/2020

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Nymphin' The Black, 5/13/2020

Post by BiggerThomas » Wed May 13, 2020 8:24 pm

After getting word that my afternoon was going to open up, I decided to try my luck on the Black. No dry flies today--just nymphs.

The paved/sportsmen lots were crowded, but I eventually found a place empty of anglers. It turned out to be an enjoyable afternoon as I didn't see one other fisherman all day. In the end, I hooked about 15 and landed about 9. I fished a beaded flashback hare's ear as my point fly and a beaded PT as the dropper fly. Most hits were on the PT. None of the bows were that big (maybe the lunkers have already seen the fryin' pan?). I've also transitioned to a new strike indicator. Check these out if you're looking for a new set up: https://www.amazon.com/Andux-Fishing-In ... p_pl_dp_13
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (16.24 KiB) Viewed 23626 times
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Twism86

Re: Nymphin' The Black, 5/13/2020

Post by Twism86 » Thu May 14, 2020 9:04 am

I think I have one or two of those indicators in my vest somewhere. Never a fan as you put a kink in your leader. When im not using my dedicated nymphing leader that I built with a section of orange backing, I use the little "football" style ones. They have a slit in the foam with little rubber hose that holds onto the line. They dont mess up the leader and are easy to slide up and down.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

martalus

Post by martalus » Thu May 14, 2020 9:26 am

For small water I usually dont use an indicator or use a dry fly indicator. For slightly larger water where an indicator helps me, I do like those 'football' ones as you can adjust them easily to hit the right depth which is useful if you are moving up and down a stream with varying depths.

Bubba Zinetti

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Thu May 14, 2020 9:35 am

I concur on the use of an indicator that doesn't put a kink in the line. A big fish can break off at the indicator. I have been using biostrike for a few years now and I like it. Sure it has flaws, but it is easily repositioned, easy to put on, and relatively inexpensive.
Cool story time: On our first trip to Iceland we broke off 2 right at the indicator when we were using the little orange floaty balls. Yes the fish were big. I changed to biostrike, and after the change all of the breakoffs were at knots. Never looked back and have used biostrike ever since.

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Thu May 14, 2020 9:48 am

Bubba Zinetti wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:35 am
I concur on the use of an indicator that doesn't put a kink in the line. A big fish can break off at the indicator. I have been using biostrike for a few years now and I like it. Sure it has flaws, but it is easily repositioned, easy to put on, and relatively inexpensive.
Cool story time: On our first trip to Iceland we broke off 2 right at the indicator when we were using the little orange floaty balls. Yes the fish were big. I changed to biostrike, and after the change all of the breakoffs were at knots. Never looked back and have used biostrike ever since.
I used to really like the biostrike back in the day before I switched to more "jedi" nymphing. I like that with biostrike you can use a small enough piece to get the job done. Also, no worries about using it. I think we all cant even count on two hands how many indicators we find floating down river, stuck in eddys or near the ban.

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Thu May 14, 2020 10:17 am

I like the idea of biostrike but have heard it doesn't hold up when using weighted nymphs. Never used it.

A few year ago when my wife and I fished out West, our guide there outfitted us with the "pompom" indicators like the one I linked to above; I don't find them difficult to adjust and I like their buoyancy/visibility. I can foresee the kinking becoming a problem though.

I used to use the green/pink ones with the rubber bands in the middle that you would twist around your leader; they worked well too but the rubber band sometimes would dry rot and I'd bet out of luck.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Thu May 14, 2020 10:28 am

Fish pimp indicators!!! nough said

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Thu May 14, 2020 10:30 am

Correct, the biostrike cant hold up weighted nymphs but remember, your indicator isnt meant to be a bobber...... If thats the way you use an indicator, then like my wife says "you're doing it wrong!" :lol:

BiggerThomas

Post by BiggerThomas » Thu May 14, 2020 10:31 am

Twism86 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:30 am
Correct, the biostrike cant hold up weighted nymphs but remember, your indicator isnt meant to be a bobber...... If thats the way you use an indicator, then like my wife says "you're doing it wrong!" :lol:
TMI broski, TMI! :lol:

But if the indicator gets overpowered by the weighted nymph, it seems to lose its intention. How do you know if you get a strike?

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Thu May 14, 2020 10:34 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:31 am
Twism86 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:30 am
TMI broski, TMI! :lol:
Self-deprecating humor is my strong point!

garden hackle

Post by garden hackle » Thu May 14, 2020 6:00 pm

Tenkara, no indicator needed.
Or, euro-nymphing, no indicator needed.
Or, dry fly fishing, no indicator needed.
Public Service Announcement: Sometimes KARMA is best served cold!

Once a box salesman, always a box salesman, and he still cannot think outside of the box!

BiggerThomas

Post by BiggerThomas » Thu May 14, 2020 9:13 pm

garden hackle wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:00 pm
How come no indicator needed with the Tenkara?

garden hackle

Post by garden hackle » Thu May 14, 2020 9:15 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:13 pm
garden hackle wrote:
It can be very much like euro-nymphing. No floating line laying on the water.

Once a box salesman, always a box salesman, and he still cannot think outside of the box!

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Fri May 15, 2020 8:48 am

garden hackle wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:15 pm
BiggerThomas wrote:
garden hackle wrote:
Exactly. If you cant reach a spot where a traditional cast and drift would be necessary, you cant fish it with Tenkara. I havent busted mine out in a while, ever since I lost a really nice bow in the KLG I have went back to using a reel so I can let them run when needed.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Fri May 15, 2020 8:49 am

I don't use an indicator at all. Unless I need to send my nymph across the river...which is rare. Learn the water and feel the drift.

garden hackle

Post by garden hackle » Fri May 15, 2020 9:03 am

I have also seen a very experienced fly fisherman use two strike indicators or different colors so he knew which direction his fly was in relation to the indicators.

garden hackle

Post by garden hackle » Fri May 15, 2020 9:05 am

Twism86 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:48 am
garden hackle wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:15 pm
BiggerThomas wrote:

Exactly. If you cant reach a spot where a traditional cast and drift would be necessary, you cant fish it with Tenkara. I havent busted mine out in a while, ever since I lost a really nice bow in the KLG I have went back to using a reel so I can let them run when needed.
Well you can, but with varying degrees of success (reference your lost of a "really nice bow")

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Fri May 15, 2020 9:09 am

garden hackle wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:05 am
Twism86 wrote:
Well you can, but with varying degrees of success (reference your lost of a "really nice bow")
Sorry, wasnt clear. I meant with Tenkara you cant fish a spot 30' across the river. If its out of reach, its out of reach. Unless you have a crazy long rod....... *insert joke of choice here*

garden hackle

Post by garden hackle » Fri May 15, 2020 9:16 am

Twism86 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:09 am
garden hackle wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:05 am
Twism86 wrote:
Sorry, wasnt clear. I meant with Tenkara you cant fish a spot 30' across the river. If its out of reach, its out of reach. Unless you have a crazy long rod....... *insert joke of choice here*
I could reach 30 foot, but that wasn’t your point, I get the limitations. Consequently, a traditional fly rod could not reach the far bank of the Delaware by the Lambertville shoreline. There are limitations in all of these fishing methods, so chose your rod carefully or carry more than one rod........ *I'd like to see the rod that could span the Delaware

BiggerThomas

Post by BiggerThomas » Fri May 15, 2020 9:18 am

garden hackle wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:03 am
I have also seen a very experienced fly fisherman use two strike indicators or different colors so he knew which direction his fly was in relation to the indicators.
Why not use three indicators so you can also capture movement along the Z axis.... :lol: