Nymphin' The Black, 5/13/2020

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
User avatar
Twism86
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: Basking Ridge, NJ
Contact:

Re: Nymphin' The Black, 5/13/2020

Post by Twism86 » Fri May 15, 2020 9:40 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:18 am
garden hackle wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:03 am
I have also seen a very experienced fly fisherman use two strike indicators or different colors so he knew which direction his fly was in relation to the indicators.
Why not use three indicators so you can also capture movement along the Z axis.... :lol:
3D nymphing, its the future!
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 594
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: Nymphin' The Black, 5/13/2020

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri May 15, 2020 1:31 pm

Twism86 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:30 am
Correct, the biostrike cant hold up weighted nymphs but remember, your indicator isnt meant to be a bobber...... If thats the way you use an indicator, then like my wife says "you're doing it wrong!" :lol:
You completely lost me. If a strike indicator is not to detect strikes which is what a bobbber does, why use one at all? You can suspend your flies off the bottom by tying a long tag end to your leader and tippet knot and fish a fly up off the bottom that way. Otherwise, a strike indicator is EXACTLY like a bobber. It's just that fly snobs can't admit it's a bobber, preferring "strike indicator" instead.

And the best indicator to use, hands down, is the Airflow bobbers like this one. No kinks, can't slip off, can't slide down. Comes in 3 sizes.
strike indicators.jpg
strike indicators.jpg (7.77 KiB) Viewed 509 times
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

garden hackle
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:50 pm

Re: Nymphin' The Black, 5/13/2020

Post by garden hackle » Fri May 15, 2020 5:41 pm

Twism86 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:40 am
BiggerThomas wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:18 am
garden hackle wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:03 am
I have also seen a very experienced fly fisherman use two strike indicators or different colors so he knew which direction his fly was in relation to the indicators.
Why not use three indicators so you can also capture movement along the Z axis.... :lol:
3D nymphing, its the future!
"Virtual Nymphing", there is an app for that.

User avatar
BiggerThomas
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:44 pm
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Re: Nymphin' The Black, 5/13/2020

Post by BiggerThomas » Fri May 15, 2020 10:33 pm

Has anyone ever had to improvise for a strike indicator? For example, one time I used a leaf.
Every Night & every Morn
Some to Misery are Born
Every Morn and every Night
Some are Born to sweet delight
Some are Born to sweet delight
Some are Born to Endless Night
___________________________
--William Blake, "Auguries of Innocence"

Vance
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:56 pm

Re: Nymphin' The Black, 5/13/2020

Post by Vance » Sat May 16, 2020 7:26 am

Hello, My first time out since last year. My wife had me in lock down but finally said I could go fishing. I was a pain at home. Well went to the Musky on Thursday and did OK not great just OK what I mean by OK is that I only lost4 flies which to me is great. Oh by the way if it wasn’t for a strike indicator I would have lost the fish that I caught. Caught the fish on a size 18 copper John. Only saw four rises all day and no hatch at all saw probably one half dozen caddis flies flying around and that was it. Fished at PointMt. Penwell Rd. section for about six hours. Boy old age sucks at 83 years old the aches and pains are still with me from fishing onThursday and today is Saturday. Have to get more IcyHot because I’m going fishing on Sunday. Everybody enjoy the fishing . Bill the mailman

User avatar
cappy
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:22 pm
Location: On the River

Re: Nymphin' The Black, 5/13/2020

Post by cappy » Sat May 16, 2020 7:41 am

Twism86 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:48 am
garden hackle wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:15 pm
BiggerThomas wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:13 pm


How come no indicator needed with the Tenkara?
It can be very much like euro-nymphing. No floating line laying on the water.
Exactly. If you cant reach a spot where a traditional cast and drift would be necessary, you cant fish it with Tenkara. I havent busted mine out in a while, ever since I lost a really nice bow in the KLG I have went back to using a reel so I can let them run when needed.
I previously posted that I also lost a bruiser while fishing Tenkara this past Fall. Redeemed myself yesterday, landed a fat 20".

With regard to reaching out. Never ran into that issue on our NJ streams, there just not large enough. Actually I find with Tenkara I can get a fly into a spot without spooking fish than I could with traditional fly rod and line. I still love my under 7' traditional 4-wgt for nymphing when an indicator is required for deep slow runs.

garden hackle
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:50 pm

Re: Nymphin' The Black, 5/13/2020

Post by garden hackle » Sat May 16, 2020 8:09 am

So, for Twism and Cappy, what was the issue when you lost a large fish on a Tenkara?

User avatar
Twism86
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: Basking Ridge, NJ
Contact:

Re: Nymphin' The Black, 5/13/2020

Post by Twism86 » Sat May 16, 2020 8:37 am

garden hackle wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:09 am
So, for Twism and Cappy, what was the issue when you lost a large fish on a Tenkara?
I was fishing high water in the KLG and the fish bolted downstream faster than I could follow or stop it.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

garden hackle
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:50 pm

Re: Nymphin' The Black, 5/13/2020

Post by garden hackle » Sat May 16, 2020 10:18 am

Twism86 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:37 am
garden hackle wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:09 am
So, for Twism and Cappy, what was the issue when you lost a large fish on a Tenkara?
I was fishing high water in the KLG and the fish bolted downstream faster than I could follow or stop it.
When it reaches the end of it's rope, that’s all there is. Less likely to happen on regular FF gear, but could happen.
What Tenkara rod do you have?

User avatar
cappy
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:22 pm
Location: On the River

Re: Nymphin' The Black, 5/13/2020

Post by cappy » Sat May 16, 2020 10:42 am

garden hackle wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:09 am
So, for Twism and Cappy, what was the issue when you lost a large fish on a Tenkara?
I made the mistake of dropping the tip, putting stress on the tippet when the fish bolted, should of kept it high and let the rod absorb the stress of the run. Did that yesterday and all went well.

garden hackle
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:50 pm

Re: Nymphin' The Black, 5/13/2020

Post by garden hackle » Sat May 16, 2020 1:07 pm

cappy wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:42 am
garden hackle wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:09 am
So, for Twism and Cappy, what was the issue when you lost a large fish on a Tenkara?
I made the mistake of dropping the tip, putting stress on the tippet when the fish bolted, should of kept it high and let the rod absorb the stress of the run. Did that yesterday and all went well.
Yeah, not much shock absorbing properties in the line.
I have pulled in some nice trout and large bass with my Tenkara rods. I find the toughest is the landing, long rod, long line short arms. I don’t normally carry a net, so once it is close I grab the line. Lots of room for lost fish at that point.

User avatar
cappy
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:22 pm
Location: On the River

Re: Nymphin' The Black, 5/13/2020

Post by cappy » Sat May 16, 2020 2:11 pm

garden hackle wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:07 pm
cappy wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:42 am
garden hackle wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:09 am
So, for Twism and Cappy, what was the issue when you lost a large fish on a Tenkara?
I made the mistake of dropping the tip, putting stress on the tippet when the fish bolted, should of kept it high and let the rod absorb the stress of the run. Did that yesterday and all went well.
Yeah, not much shock absorbing properties in the line.
I have pulled in some nice trout and large bass with my Tenkara rods. I find the toughest is the landing, long rod, long line short arms. I don’t normally carry a net, so once it is close I grab the line. Lots of room for lost fish at that point.
LOL - Funny you mention landing fish with Tenkara, which is not a problem with average size trout, and I don't always use a net. The big one yesterday gave me trouble even with the net, couple times I thought I would lose it given I use barbless hooks, and I was hesitant to grab the line which typically is not a problem. I keep the line with tippet no more than 2' longer than the rod.

User avatar
lightenup
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: Nymphin' The Black, 5/13/2020

Post by lightenup » Sat May 16, 2020 3:41 pm

A strike indicator that floats IS a bobber... A bobber, like the red and white ones on the end of your zebco rod. A strike indicator that is a piece of colored line is NOT a bobber...😉👍

User avatar
BiggerThomas
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:44 pm
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Re: Nymphin' The Black, 5/13/2020

Post by BiggerThomas » Sat May 16, 2020 6:20 pm

lightenup wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:41 pm
A strike indicator that floats IS a bobber... A bobber, like the red and white ones on the end of your zebco rod. A strike indicator that is a piece of colored line is NOT a bobber...😉👍
It depends on what your definition of is, is. 😂
Every Night & every Morn
Some to Misery are Born
Every Morn and every Night
Some are Born to sweet delight
Some are Born to sweet delight
Some are Born to Endless Night
___________________________
--William Blake, "Auguries of Innocence"

User avatar
Twism86
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: Basking Ridge, NJ
Contact:

Re: Nymphin' The Black, 5/13/2020

Post by Twism86 » Mon May 18, 2020 10:55 am

garden hackle wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:18 am
When it reaches the end of it's rope, that’s all there is. Less likely to happen on regular FF gear, but could happen.
What Tenkara rod do you have?
Tenkara USA Iwana - 12 foot. I also have the smaller handle that allows you to use it as a 9'6'' rod. I actually use it in the smaller configuration for WTS more often.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

garden hackle
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:50 pm

Re: Nymphin' The Black, 5/13/2020

Post by garden hackle » Mon May 18, 2020 8:23 pm

Twism86 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:55 am
garden hackle wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:18 am
When it reaches the end of it's rope, that’s all there is. Less likely to happen on regular FF gear, but could happen.
What Tenkara rod do you have?
Tenkara USA Iwana - 12 foot. I also have the smaller handle that allows you to use it as a 9'6'' rod. I actually use it in the smaller configuration for WTS more often.
I have both of those as well, the Iwana is a nice rod and I bought the shorter handle as well. If you want to go shorter the Rhodo is an 8/9/10 foot adjustable.
There are some advantages and disadvantages in using a Tenkara. If there was just one Perfect fly rod we wouldn’t need to have more than one. I think I am near 20 rods total, the lowest is a 2wt, the shortest is a 5 footer and the longest is a 13-1/2 footer, the heaviest is a 9wt.

User avatar
lightenup
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: Nymphin' The Black, 5/13/2020

Post by lightenup » Thu May 21, 2020 10:01 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:20 pm
lightenup wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:41 pm
A strike indicator that floats IS a bobber... A bobber, like the red and white ones on the end of your zebco rod. A strike indicator that is a piece of colored line is NOT a bobber...😉👍
It depends on what your definition of is, is. 😂
It is what it is. Isn't it? Is it? :D

Post Reply